OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank... I am also in the market for XL525 and was wondering if you have a parts list for the manifold . plumbing is not my long suite and need all the help possible.

I would like to see the list too :)

Ok here is that parts list for the manifold. I will exclude the Flow Meter and the parts it needs since most people won't be installing one. You will simply use a piece of PVC to replace the Flow meter.

Colored SCH40 PVC Pipe
  • 1" - 10ft
  • 1/2" - 10ft
Fittings
  • 4 - 1" 90 degree Elbows
  • 2 - 1" 45 degree Elbows (These can be substitute by adding 1x more 90 degree Elbow)
  • 3 - 1" x 1" x 1/2" T's
  • 1 - 1" Union
  • 3 - 1/2" Spears Gate Valve
  • 1 - 3/4" MPT x 1" Slip Male Adapter
  • 5 - 1" PVC Pipe Straps http://tinyurl.com/hutv2bn
  • 6 - 1/2" Male Adapter (2 Per reactor)
  • 6 - 1/2" 90 degree elbows
  • 3 - 1/2" Union
  • 12 - O-rings (I.D. of 11/16" with an O.D. of 7/8" with a thickness of 3/32")
The o-rings go in the reactors and you need 2 per fitting. O-ring kit can be purchased from Northern Tools - http://tinyurl.com/jt8aevw

bpapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is that parts list for the manifold. I will exclude the Flow Meter and the parts it needs since most people won't be installing one. You will simply use a piece of PVC to replace the Flow meter.

Colored SCH40 PVC Pipe
  • 1" - 10ft
  • 1/2" - 10ft
Fittings
  • 4 - 1" 90 degree Elbows
  • 2 - 1" 45 degree Elbows (These can be substitute by adding 1x more 90 degree Elbow)
  • 3 - 1" x 1" x 1/2" T's
  • 1 - 1" Union
  • 3 - 1/2" Spears Gate Valve
  • 1 - 3/4" MPT x 1" Slip Male Adapter
  • 5 - 1" PVC Pipe Straps http://tinyurl.com/hutv2bn
  • 6 - 1/2" Male Adapter (2 Per reactor)
  • 6 - 1/2" 90 degree elbows
  • 3 - 1/2" Union
  • 12 - O-rings (I.D. of 11/16" with an O.D. of 7/8" with a thickness of 3/32")
The o-rings go in the reactors and you need 2 per fitting. O-ring kit can be purchased from Northern Tools - http://tinyurl.com/jt8aevw
Thank you this is great can you use SCH 40 PVC PIPE with SCH80 Fittings

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, 5-6 days after adding the Fritz Turbostart 900 I unboxed the skimmer, took a few pictures and in the sump it went. I also got the Helix neck cleaner connected to my Profilux and programmed to run once a day for 15secs. The skimmer level is low because it will need to break in so the output is completely open and the pump is set at 14w.

I also calibrated all my probes and cleaned up the wires.

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017
by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-2

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-3

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-4

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-5

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-7

Reefer 525XL -3-07-2017-8

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I am very impressed with that skimmer stand and the whole set up!

Thank you

That sump is beautiful with the skimmer and return pump , I love the white theme to it as well.

Thanks! Im glad Red Sea switch to black interior for the white XL stands as this allowed me to do this color scheme. Everything stands out real nice with the black interior of the stand.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Are you cycling the tank now? When are you hooking up the reactors?

Cycling? What is that? hahaha

I started the tank with dry rock and dry sand and after adding salt water I added 8oz of Fritz Turbo start 900 which is a highly concentrated Live Nitrifying bacteria and I have seen zero spike in Ammonia or Nitrite. Also a lot of people who have use this product claim to have not even gotten a diatom bloom. Its been about 2 weeks now and I have yet to see any signs of algae any where on the tank. I guess you could say it was an instant cycle.

luckyfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean setup.

Hows the profilux setup look?
Running an ATO or a heater?

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean setup.

Hows the profilux setup look?
Running an ATO or a heater?

Still working on the electronics side, however is very basic, nothing crazy :) I do plan on running a heater, I just have not gotten around to putting it in the sump.

For the ATO Im still toying with a few ideas since I won't be using the stock Red Sea ATO. For the time being Im just topping it off every couple of days.

bpapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally going to order the tank and didn't see on the list of parts the connection from the manifold to the return of the Red Sea reefer . Where did you get this part? Also undecided on the pump to use although I am leaning towards the ECOTECH vectra L1 . How is your flow rate with the RD3 and is it worth the extra money?

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally going to order the tank and didn't see on the list of parts the connection from the manifold to the return of the Red Sea reefer . Where did you get this part? Also undecided on the pump to use although I am leaning towards the ECOTECH vectra L1 . How is your flow rate with the RD3 and is it worth the extra money?

The fitting to connect the manifold to the Red Sea return is a 3/4" x 1" male adapter. The 3/4" side threads on to the Red Sea fitting. You simply unscrew the barb and screw on the male adapter then the pipe from the manifold glues on the 1" side. Make sure to use a lot of teflon tape on the 3/4" side with the threads. Go around the threads at least 12-14 times.

As for the pump I was originally going to buy the L1 but after reading about so many having issues and not being able to control it with my controller I decided to spend a little more on the RD3. In my opinion the pump is far better than the L1. None of the DC pumps are pressure rated pumps so once you add head pressure the flow is reduce drastically, specially with hard plumbing. However, I still get plenty of flow and I'm not running it at full power.

One of the things I needed to do was control the pump with my Profilux and flow meter. Since I have 3 reactors that will eventually be fed from the same pump anytime I make an adjustment to the reactors output the flow rate going to the tank will change causing the level in the overflow to rise or go down which in turn will require me to adjust the drain valve to make the overflow silent again. By controlling the pump with the Profilux and flow meter I can set the flow rate to whatever I want and when the meter senses the increase or decrease in flow from adjusting the reactors it will adjust the voltage going to the pump to bring up the flow to the set rate or lower it.

bpapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fitting to connect the manifold to the Red Sea return is a 3/4" x 1" male adapter. The 3/4" side threads on to the Red Sea fitting. You simply unscrew the barb and screw on the male adapter then the pipe from the manifold glues on the 1" side. Make sure to use a lot of teflon tape on the 3/4" side with the threads. Go around the threads at least 12-14 times.

As for the pump I was originally going to buy the L1 but after reading about so many having issues and not being able to control it with my controller I decided to spend a little more on the RD3. In my opinion the pump is far better than the L1. None of the DC pumps are pressure rated pumps so once you add head pressure the flow is reduce drastically, specially with hard plumbing. However, I still get plenty of flow and I'm not running it at full power.

One of the things I needed to do was control the pump with my Profilux and flow meter. Since I have 3 reactors that will eventually be fed from the same pump anytime I make an adjustment to the reactors output the flow rate going to the tank will change causing the level in the overflow to rise or go down which in turn will require me to adjust the drain valve to make the overflow silent again. By controlling the pump with the Profilux and flow meter I can set the flow rate to whatever I want and when the meter senses the increase or decrease in flow from adjusting the reactors it will adjust the voltage going to the pump to bring up the flow to the set rate or lower it.

Thanks for the explanation, I've read in other threads about the fitting, I would think Red Sea would have this available.

What type of flow rate are you getting with the manifold?

The specifications look pretty close on the two pumps but I have also read about some reliability problems early on with the ECOTECH pump. I plan on using the Neptune controller and the RD3 has a 10 volt option . I like the idea of adjusting the pump based on the flow rate and also purchasing the FMM module to control an ATO , maybe just purchase the flow sensor also.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back