Eshopps Overflow Review?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on my drilled 40 breeder, I haven't used it yet unfortunately, but installation was pretty quick and painless. From other videos I've seen it's very quiet and works very well.

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the small on a 30 gallon. It's very quiet when set up properly and the quality is good. The template is a solid piece of acrylic and a holesaw is included. You definitely need to get a valve for the main drain to get the water level right in the overflow box. preferably a gate valve. I used a ball valve, but it's just harder to dial in the flow.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Does it give you any guidance as to how far from the top of the glass to drill, i'm assuming the template provides this? I have a Reef Savvy ghost on my 80G, one of the drains with a gate valve, likely plumb this the same way.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Does it give you any guidance as to how far from the top of the glass to drill, i'm assuming the template provides this? I have a Reef Savvy ghost on my 80G, one of the drains with a gate valve, likely plumb this the same way.
Use the template as a water line guide, on rimmed tanks your best bet is to drill from the inside out and put the template on the inside, otherwise you wont mount it hight enough

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the template as a water line guide, on rimmed tanks your best bet is to drill from the inside out and put the template on the inside, otherwise you wont mount it hight enough
This +1 !!! I even tried to slide it under the rim a little on the inside of my 40B. My waterline is just about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the rim.

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Eshopps Eclipse seems as if it is made for "rimless" tanks based on the template layout. I used the large size on my rimmed 90. It was a bit tricky to get it mounted high enough so the waterline wasn't too deep. I like it but the back (outside) wall of the overflow has bowed outward in the middle. The cover still fits ok but it seems like the plastic might be a bit too thin for it to bow.
IMG_0714.JPG

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the small on a 30 gallon. It's very quiet when set up properly and the quality is good. The template is a solid piece of acrylic and a holesaw is included. You definitely need to get a valve for the main drain to get the water level right in the overflow box. preferably a gate valve. I used a ball valve, but it's just harder to dial in the flow.
Do you have a build thread where I can see some pics of your overflow and plumbing setup? I will be using the same overflow on a 30g.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a build thread where I can see some pics of your overflow and plumbing setup? I will be using the same overflow on a 30g.
Here's a pic from before I filled the tank. Hope this helps!
IMG_0637 2.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-mixed-reef-tank-in-the-woods.317105/
I bought all of the valves from BRS: Cepex shut off, and Spears gate valves, are the best quality and rebuildable. I also bought quite a bit of the elbows, adapters, etc. from them as well. Bought the pipe and some of the elbows, etc. from a local irrigation supply. They were the only place I could find the schedule 80 pipe and fittings. Here's a tip. Buy "clear" pvc primer from Amazon. Very hard to find locally. Most pvc primers are purple and ugly looking. Hope this helps your build. Cheers!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This +1 !!! I even tried to slide it under the rim a little on the inside of my 40B. My waterline is just about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the rim.

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG
Now I'm a bit nervous, I didn't mount mine that close to the lip of the rim....However I have a valve on the drain so I should be able to adjust as needed.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I did buy this over flow and it arrived yesterday, will update my build thread after install. First impressions are good. Looks like a solid product, well built and straight forward enough. The small version, which is the one I bought, is rated for up to 75G, so it should be more than enough for this 20G build i'm working on.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm a bit nervous, I didn't mount mine that close to the lip of the rim....However I have a valve on the drain so I should be able to adjust as needed.

Worst case scenario, if it runs below the rim you can simply run a piece of black tape (like electrical tape), apply window tint, or just tape off a nice straight line and paint it black to match the rim. Might make it look like a big rim around the tank, but to me that looks better than seeing the waterline on a rimmed tank.

This was what I was planning if I missed the mark on drilling the hole, but right now I think I'm good. We'll see when I get the tank plumbed in its permanent place... hopefully this weekend.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case scenario, if it runs below the rim you can simply run a piece of black tape (like electrical tape), apply window tint, or just tape off a nice straight line and paint it black to match the rim. Might make it look like a big rim around the tank, but to me that looks better than seeing the waterline on a rimmed tank.

This was what I was planning if I missed the mark on drilling the hole, but right now I think I'm good. We'll see when I get the tank plumbed in its permanent place... hopefully this weekend.
Mine runs about 1/2" below the black rim. No worries.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Eshopps Eclipse seems as if it is made for "rimless" tanks based on the template layout. I used the large size on my rimmed 90. It was a bit tricky to get it mounted high enough so the waterline wasn't too deep. I like it but the back (outside) wall of the overflow has bowed outward in the middle. The cover still fits ok but it seems like the plastic might be a bit too thin for it to bow.
IMG_0714.JPG

Hi. Is your Eshopps still working well? Is the bowing cause for concern? I have an Eclipse L and have just noticed the bowing on mine. It has only been set up for about a month. Many thanks.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 40 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 73.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back