Eshopps problems? Warranty join in!!!

Am I wrong for asking eshopps for a return?

• Total voters

Samuel Diaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!!

I’m 3 months new to this. Started on the wrong foot from terrible advice from my local lsf to not being pattient . Any ways the problem :

Purchased a hob eshop skimmer 75. Why ? I talked to the lsf and they told me to get it that it was the best thing in the world . It is not . The cup is way undersize. It fills in 2-4 days . Within the first week I tired to return it for a bigger unit because it’s undersize and I got a flat NO!!

My tank is 55 gallons - Why is it that we get no honesty from the manufactures? There’s no returns no credit no nothing . I’ve contacted eshoops and I got a simply I’m sorry but no!!! I even said just give me some sort of credit and I’ll just buy a in sump skimmer , I’ll stay loyal to you . They still wouldn’t budge. Am I the only one dealing with this? Is there more of you out there? Where is the customer service !!! I just hopeful that I’ll get some attention to where eshopps will give me my money back or let me return it to upgrade.. help a rockie out !!

This is not a cheap hobby !!

OP
OP
Samuel Diaz

Samuel Diaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38C31115-7DE2-4933-8E1D-ADB44A737376.jpeg
4BB62DB2-24D8-400A-8058-7160DD3EA87F.jpeg

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to empty my skimmer every 2-3 days, just part of general maintenance

In terms of the return, I'm not familiar with their policy. I manage a retail store, and I won't return a product that is not faulty if I can't sell it as new.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say it, but you should be asking the lfs where you got it for a credit, NOT ESHOPPS.

Now, if you went to an lfs, then bought it online. Your almost completely out of options.

A warranty is for defective equipment, not for buying something and figuring out it's too big/small, not what you wanted.

Find a quality lfs that takes returns and has a decent store credit policy.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new skimmer on a new tank will have break in period. But if it is pulling enough funk out to need cleaned every 2-3 days, I would be happy. Maybe the cup isn’t the biggest, but big deal.

One option you could do is drill the cup and add a overflow tube to a bucket.

OP
OP
Samuel Diaz

Samuel Diaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say it, but you should be asking the lfs where you got it for a credit, NOT ESHOPPS.

Yes I bought it at the LSF that recommend it . I guess I’m spoiled then . I somewhat have it against eshopps because I’m use to “satisfaction gurranteed “. I assume this doesn’t apply to aquariums products. Thus the reason I’m reaching out to figure the mindset of you guys

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a new lfs. They should help you out. Unless they have a posted return policy or something in writing.

I know a few by me have the return policy print on the receipt. Usually no returns or refund on livestock, but dry goods are usually somewhere between 7 and 30 days.

OP
OP
Samuel Diaz

Samuel Diaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new skimmer on a new tank will have break in period. But if it is pulling enough funk out to need cleaned every 2-3 days, I would be happy. Maybe the cup isn’t the biggest, but big deal.

One option you could do is drill the cup and add a overflow tube to a bucket.
I work out of town Monday- Friday I wouldn’t mind drilling a hole - BUTT last week my skimmer went nuts and started overfilling the cup big time. My wife FaceTime me panicking asking what to do . Luckily the the drain tube was back to the aquarium . It looked like a siphone, I have a ATO and if it would have been draining to another bucket my salinity could have plummeted!! Idk I think I’m just a bad Reefer or have bad luck

geniusgio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO , I don’t think there is much you can do. I had that exact skimmer and personally didn’t like it much. Had to dial it in constantly even after the break in period. Some days I was like “ hell yea , finally its skimming fine” then the next day It wasn’t lol

OP
OP
Samuel Diaz

Samuel Diaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO , I don’t think there is much you can do. I had that exact skimmer and personally didn’t like it much. Had to dial it in constantly even after the break in period. Some days I was like “ hell yea , finally its skimming fine” then the next day It wasn’t lol

Darn lol I think I should change the subject to . Careful purchasing a eshopps psk-75 hob skimmer . Might not like it

OP
OP
Samuel Diaz

Samuel Diaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most hang on the back skimmers are very touchy. The skimmer is working fine so no blame on eshoppes, IMO I'd talk to your LFS.

LFS told me - you used it ? And I was like well yeah . Then said you should put it on Craigslist. ‍♂️

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend, unfortunately just about everyone here has bought equipment that didn't work out as planned. HOB equipment and any skimmer is capable of overflowing. That is just the way it is. If you have a sump, the best thing to do is put that skimmer up for sale (or save it for another tank) and get a better, in sump skimmer.

There are a lot of great LFS out there, but there are also a lot of bad ones. My advice to you is, before you buy any new equipment in the future, just ask a question here and you will likely get plenty of feedback to help you make a better decision. You now know not to follow any advice that you get at your LFS. Sorry for your bad experience.

And - Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
Samuel Diaz

Samuel Diaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend, unfortunately just about everyone here has bought equipment that didn't work out as planned. HOB equipment and any skimmer is capable of overflowing. That is just the way it is. If you have a sump, the best thing to do is put that skimmer up for sale (or save it for another tank) and get a better, in sump skimmer.

There are a lot of great LFS out there, but there are also a lot of bad ones. My advice to you is, before you buy any new equipment in the future, just ask a question here and you will likely get plenty of feedback to help you make a better decision. You now know not to follow any advice that you get at your LFS. Sorry for your bad experience.

And - Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Thanks man - it is what it is . Any advice on a proven skimmer for a 150 gallon tank ?

I’m picking up my new tank from SC Aquariums on Friday!!

All tho I’m not to happy with eshopps there s-300 in sump looks nice any thoughts ?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way in the world would I be comfortable running a hob skimmer. That just looks like the worst idea I have honestly ever seen. Just looking at that there are at least 10 things off the top of my head I see wrong with it

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man - it is what it is . Any advice on a proven skimmer for a 150 gallon tank ?

I’m picking up my new tank from SC Aquariums on Friday!!

All tho I’m not to happy with eshopps there s-300 in sump looks nice any thoughts ?
Eshopps makes very nice in sump skimmer. As much as I like the SCA I believe a larger skimmer would be better for that size tank.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an in tank skimmer( Hydor) and while it’s not the best it does work ok. I would do as others said and if you have a sump get one for in there. My in tank will eventually go in mine when it gets finished, and I would love a larger one. The LFS should honor a return policy though some won’t. Just Craigslist it and find a better model. I’m sorry you’re having issues though. Things like this can definitely take a toll on the joy of the hobby.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back