Essential Power Bar - DIY Single PCB design with 3D printed case

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, a quick informal poll - black base or white base?

The lower shell is printed as ABS (Black) or ASA (White). Its a bit cantankerous since its a large lower section will will warp if you're not careful. But more importantly, I can't tell if the three color or two color shell works better!

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5835.jpeg

I do have some extra case parts right now available (bottom, two top shells, and LED spacers), along with blank PCBs. I may put some of them up on the (currently empty) web store, or just DM me in the interim. I can also do custom colors.

I'm also thinking about an ESP32 only version which adds more outlets, and building it as a SMT+Through hole part, so you can get a PCB pre-loaded with most of the stuff, and solder down the power supply and connectors as a kit. I've been working on getting the DCBuddy made by a contract manufacturer which means I can actually scale to building more than a handful of units before I fall over and fail on delivery, and this would be totally viable for this board as well.

This basic controller with temp and float and I2C add-on honestly covers about 75% of the use cases of an APEX for me.

Gratuitous shot of the RevB internals:
IMG_5836.jpeg
I'm old fashioned..
switchbox.JPG

Or do you have like teal?
switchbox2.JPG

For ME.. the blue/white reminds me of medical equipment for some odd reason.
Base color is sort of unimportant ..to me. Not high on the visibility scale..
Forgive the crude renderings..
switchbox3.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old fashioned..
switchbox.JPG

switchbox2.JPG

switchbox3.JPG

All great color options too. I already have a massive stack of PLA why not add more.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old fashioned..
switchbox.JPG

switchbox2.JPG

switchbox3.JPG

Im leaning black base and black top. The accent color is up for debate.

Also of note: Matte PLA is far too brittle (more than regular) to accept thread forming screws. I designed with 4-40 TF in mind which work great in ABS, but lead to a fun _dissassembly_ problem once the various bosses fracture in the PLA top case.

IMG_5839.jpeg

I don’t currently have a teal or a red (red is possible in ABS). I do have the Hatchbox “Peacock Blue” in PETG which also looks nice - a deeper blue. The PETG is on top.
IMG_5840.jpeg

The thickened cord grip is performing well
IMG_5841.jpeg

gunnarmcc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, a quick informal poll - black base or white base?

The lower shell is printed as ABS (Black) or ASA (White). Its a bit cantankerous since its a large lower section will will warp if you're not careful. But more importantly, I can't tell if the three color or two color shell works better!

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5835.jpeg

I do have some extra case parts right now available (bottom, two top shells, and LED spacers), along with blank PCBs. I may put some of them up on the (currently empty) web store, or just DM me in the interim. I can also do custom colors.

I'm also thinking about an ESP32 only version which adds more outlets, and building it as a SMT+Through hole part, so you can get a PCB pre-loaded with most of the stuff, and solder down the power supply and connectors as a kit. I've been working on getting the DCBuddy made by a contract manufacturer which means I can actually scale to building more than a handful of units before I fall over and fail on delivery, and this would be totally viable for this board as well.

This basic controller with temp and float and I2C add-on honestly covers about 75% of the use cases of an APEX for me.

Gratuitous shot of the RevB internals:
IMG_5836.jpeg

Personally I like the white, think it looks cleaner. Could you match a black top to a black base white top to white base? Or no the paneling around the power strip has to be white? I’d say match all colors if that makes sense other than a single contrasting panel.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the white, think it looks cleaner. Could you match a black top to a black base white top to white base? Or no the paneling around the power strip has to be white? I’d say match all colors if that makes sense other than a single contrasting panel.

All white is totally fine. Its three distinct pieces - the bottom shell, the top case over the AC/High voltage side, and the top case over the logic side.

ABS is much more limited in colors, but PETG has more options but a more glossy look.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back