Euphillya seems dying

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, My euphillya was doing very good then this morning suddently has retract and looks like something poked his tentacles with a needle. They look emptied and downside.

I tried to dip but nothing changed. No sign of parasite, FW, bjd or eggs. Everything happened in 2 minutes and hasn't change since then. I moved it to the bottom with less flow to recover but doesn't look well.

I also have lugols at 5% solution. I can dip but I don't know about the dosage.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch and wait. They often deflate (at night especially) and will reinflate in a while. If lights come on today and it still doesn’t inflate, might be an issue. But just give it time

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the tank? Do you have any angel fish or fish known for nipping? Is the mouth gaping open and brown? Is your water too clean?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
often when they are in decline you might see them more and more in a deflated state with the skeleton exposed.
IME this state is sometime reversible…
whereas the gaping mouth thing, much worse prognosis…
…off the cuff, with no more info and just from a single photo: I’d say it looks recoverable…

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Thanks is 3 month old but never had issue.

I have torches, bta, heliofungi, softies, all thriving.

This euphillia is one month and always looked nice, fluffy and open.
Light is on since this morning (they normally deflated at night) but this is not the case.

Really, looks like someone popped the tentacles with a toothpick.

Weird think, I lost a lobophillya a few days ago and a very small see urchin due to my tiger cowrie that killed both of them. Today I'll rehome it.

Just did a full water test:

ph: 8.4
dkh: 9.8 (I have the redsea coral pro salt which has high dkh).
temp: 76f
salinity: 1.025
no3: 17.0
po4: 0.10
CA: 494ppm
MG: 1500ppm (Had this higher since ever, I am slowing getting this down)

Also, yesterday morning I did a WC and last night I decided to leave the tank without the lid for greater gas exchange.

IMG_1281.jpg

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Parameters look good. It sounds as though maybe you have a culprit in mind already. I am unable to see but I think the hammer may be a wall hammer from the photo. In my hands those tend to be a lot more difficult than branching hammers but that’s just been my experience. It’s awesome that the tank is stable and your Coral look great but in a younger tank the more finicky varieties tend to have a harder time. Crossing fingers that you get to the bottom of this and that rehoming fixes the issues.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about the tiger cowrie on the euphillya tho. That's because this morning when light went up the euphillya was all open and strong and then all of a sudden deflate and looks death.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am not sure about the tiger cowrie on the euphillya tho. That's because this morning when light went up the euphillya was all open and strong and then all of a sudden deflate and looks death.
That’s pretty odd. That sounds like something toxic got in the water or that it was bitten and hurt. Since your other Coral look fine, it definitely sounds like something got to it.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I am reconsidering to put a lid on the tank? Maybe some dust fell into?

Also, a iodine dip would help?

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was on top of the rock with the other euphillia. Was the only one afflicted. How is that possible!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a round of Cipro. I have quite a few torches, hammers and frogspawn. I recently had a frogspawn starting to look the same and hit it with a weeks of Cipro dosing. Vast improvement. Not saying it’ll help here but it may and at the very least it won’t hurt.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It was on top of the rock with the other euphillia. Was the only one afflicted. How is that possible!
I hate to say this but not uncommon. Hammers tend to do well in a new environment for about 2-4 weeks and then some just melt away. I am hoping that’s not the case and this one will get better for you but that can and does happen.

Do you ever feed your euphyllia? I wouldn’t recommend trying to feed this guy right now as I think that leaving it alone and letting it settle is best right now but it might be good to consider target feeding every few days with a high quality reef food like oyster feast and benereef or something like that. LPS benefit a lot from feedings particularly in a newer tank.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them with coral ab+ any other day!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said when light came on it puffed up then retracted.

Could par be to strong for this small coral, they only need say 80-100 par.

If we overlight corals they tend to protect themselves

In any event too much change for this coral

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back