Evaporation issue

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was running my 55 gallon with otbf I had to top off my water at-least once a week, now with my 180 I am doing it 2-3 times a week. Is that normal or should I look into a problem I may have?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1500g system - With 2 180g frag tanks that are out doors. I use evaporative cooling to keep the system cool during the summer time. When the temps get into the triple digits I evaporate as much as 55-60g everyday.

Even on a rainy day I evaporate out about 15-20g

Dave B

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m averaging around 2 gallons every time I top off
Are you saying your evaporation is 5 gallons a week? Assuming the 2-3 times a week is accurate and assuming the 2 gallons is accurate, 5 gallons a week on a 180 seems kinda low actually.

Anyway, also keep in mind that winter/drier air evap is higher. on a 90g, with a sump and a 48"x18" surface area I do maybe 0.5 gallons a day in the summer and 0.75 gallons a day in the winter (if not more).

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying your evaporation is 5 gallons a week? Assuming the 2-3 times a week is accurate and assuming the 2 gallons is accurate, 5 gallons a week on a 180 seems kinda low actually.

Anyway, also keep in mind that winter/drier air evap is higher. on a 90g, with a sump and a 48"x18" surface area I do maybe 0.5 gallons a day in the summer and 0.75 gallons a day in the winter (if not more).
I could possibly be off a little. I know once a week i go to my lfs to get rodi water and I’m on my second jug now, which just made realize how much I already put in my system this week.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could possibly be off a little. I know once a week i go to my lfs to get rodi water and I’m on my second jug now, which just made realize how much I already put in my system this week.

Your evap seems about right, especially with no top. Just keep track of it for a couple of weeks and see if it changes with humidity. Would be curious what it looks like in the summer. Also keep in mind, no top increases evap and if you have any fans etc blowing on it. On a 180 I can't imagine not having a rodi unit set up. I'm guessing a 180 isn't in a 1 bedroom condo so I'd definitely research a rodi.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your evap seems about right, especially with no top. Just keep track of it for a couple of weeks and see if it changes with humidity. Would be curious what it looks like in the summer. Also keep in mind, no top increases evap and if you have any fans etc blowing on it. On a 180 I can't imagine not having a rodi unit set up. I'm guessing a 180 isn't in a 1 bedroom condo so I'd definitely research a rodi.
I do have a top on mine. As far as a rodi system I am going to be looking into a system to install in my house

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
When I was running my 55 gallon with otbf I had to top off my water at-least once a week, now with my 180 I am doing it 2-3 times a week. Is that normal or should I look into a problem I may have?
I’m going through 5 gallons every 2-3 days.

Depends on so many factors. It’s the point where i need to run a line from my garage ATO storage bin otherwise my wife is going to ring my neck

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
yes especially this time of the year your tank acts as a humidifier. I am adding 2 gallons every other day

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back