Evaporation

joejenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that people mark there system with a line so they know when to add more water. Where's the best spot on the aquarium or sump to draw the line so I know when to add more Ro di water?

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a direct answer for you but often times your skimmer will operate optimally at a certain point, I would use that water level as an indicator to add your water. But what I would really recommend is that you invest in an ATO system so that water is replenished as evaporates, this will a) keep you from having to monitor evaporation, b) potentially forgetting to add water, and c) keep your parameters more stable.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 @shornik, invest in an ATO. Set your ATO float/sensor/etc at the desired water depth. Determine this by your equipments needs, as mentioned a skimmer, but your return pump, heater, over flow, etc. Utilizing the available volume and assuring your equipment successfully functions should dictate your water level... More or less.

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a traditional sumped tank with baffles in the sump then the only part of the setup with varying water level (while the tank is running) is the compartment with the return pump. So, to answer your question directly, the only place marks would be useful is the compartment in your sump with your return pump. Now, how you decide what's the maximum level depends on your overflow volumes etc.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is auto top off, or having a device that will automatically keep the tank topped off properly.

Using lime/kalkwasser is a popular method of replenishing the minerals that corals use to grow.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a traditional sumped tank with baffles in the sump then the only part of the setup with varying water level (while the tank is running) is the compartment with the return pump. So, to answer your question directly, the only place marks would be useful is the compartment in your sump with your return pump. Now, how you decide what's the maximum level depends on your overflow volumes etc.

+1 - this post is confusing, there is only one place you could possibly mark this, the only place that loses water, which is the return chamber of your sump. Even if you have no compartments in your sump you'd still mark it on the sump.

Do you have a sump or are you doing research into what all needs to be considered?

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your sump configuration, then the return section on the left is where you want to mark and monitor your water level. Again an automatic top off system will make it much easier than manually topping off.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sump

Your far left chamber on that sump. First get your system running how you want it with the correct water volume, then make your mark on that compartment. Then what I did is turn off my return pump and let all the water run back into my sump, then marked where the water settled. Then removed water into a home depot 5 gallon bucket to the point about 2" from the top and made another mark. This indicates where I need to drain water to for a water change. I use a python water remover so I needed to know where to drain to. In my case, I actually removed two home depot buckets worth of water since I change 2 buckets at a time. I won't say "5 gallons" since I don't fill the buckets all the way as it would slosh around too much.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back