Ever notice when dipping in freshwater...

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that the water turns yellow?

Have had this happen twice. First time dipped a variety including protopalys, a week goes by, dip again, but in two batches. First batch water stayed clear, but no proto's just assorted zoa's and palys (purple death type palys,) second batch the proto's got dipped, water turns yellow (as if I had used lugols or something.)

Anyone else noticed this? A couple items in the tank (some acan's and a chalice) who were not dipped, were not happy/have eroded some after the dips, so I've since boosted the carbon amount in the system considerably hoping to suck out any potential toxins.

Curious if maybe the yellow water was a result of palytoxin, which they continued to excrete after being put back in the tank.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done a freshwater dip myself, but curious to see what others who have think.

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since upping the carbon (went from an aquaclear baggy to a TLF media reactor full) the acan's that were unhappy are recovering. What I'm not really curious about is the protopalys have all shrunk considerably in polyp size, and the color has significantly increased. Not surprising to have a color increase with shrunken polyps, but if they stay shrunk (were replaced where they were previously, no lighting changes or anything) it'd be interesting to say the least.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 40 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 73.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%

Back