evil damsels!

Reginald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so yesterday i found a sailfin tang at my LFS. i decided to get it thinking that it would b ok with my tank. as soon as i released the tang into the tank my domino damsel and sargent major damsel attacked him and tore his fin. i had to remove the tang and place it in my 14gal biocube. i couldnt catch either damsel so i had to break down my whole tank jus to cathch them both and then reaquascape everything. now i finally understand why everybody says "DONT GET DAMSELS!"

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! DEM DAMSELS BE EVIL.

I think we have all, in some way, had a bad experience with Damsels. Don't feel bad!

It's a shame you had to tear your tank up just to get them, though. : (

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah - the problem is having too few damsels. If you had put in a new damsel along with your tang they would have just chased the new damsel around. Damsels just need other damsels to beat up on...

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont mind the damsels myself i have 2 4 stripe damsels, 2 blue saphire damsels 2 blue devil damsels 1 yellowtail damsel 1 blue/green chromis. but its tank mates are a rectangle humu trigger, fuzzy dwarf lionfish, snowflake eel, blue spot puffer, black boxfish, longhorn cowfish, 12" spotted bamboo shark, yellow tang bicolor angelfish coral beauty angelfish and my yellow tang is the aggressor in my tank

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like damsels but I won't keep them in my reef tank. I had a 40b that I kept a mantis shrimp with a blue damsel, a yellow tail, Allen's, and an azure. They spent the day harassing each other but not one was ever damaged. My goal was to add a yellow damsel to have every possible damsel combo with blue and yellow but I ended up breaking the tank down. I still have the blue damsel and the yellow tail in my frag tank.

chris13115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My damsel has calmed his aggression, i would give them back and next time, GET CHROMIS OR CLOWNFISH! they are close relatives to damsels but peaceful.

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 6 damsels but those 2 were the worst. my others arent agressive to others at all but i used to hear the sargent major and domino grunting at eachother at night and would see random scales floating across my tank

thirty5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of damsels other than springers. I have 2 of them in my tank now. they ars allegedly the least aggressive. they also eat flat worms which was the reason that I got them. and use they do actually eat them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of damsels other than springers. I have 2 of them in my tank now. they ars allegedly the least aggressive. they also eat flat worms which was the reason that I got them. and use they do actually eat them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

+1

In numbers, they are good at pest control - my frag systems are full of damsels for that very reason - they do a good job.
Try putting 10 wrasses together!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 35 18.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back