Evo 13.5 Chamber Modifications Better Flow through Chambers with skimmer in 2nd chamber

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize a few other posts mention this topic but the one i saw had 1 basic reply saying “cant hurt” so I’m posting a more in-depth look at it and asking for input.
Hello everyone. This is my first tank and it is finally cycled :). Before putting fish in there i would like to address my filter flow issue. I was generously bought this tank and a protein skimmer for Christmas. I dont like the flow with the skimmer in chamber one as i think all the big solid matter will flow down the wall and gather underneath the skimmer. I really dont like that and believe a media basket will help with catching all that via filter floss or a filter pad. Also it will cause the water to flow down and through the bio media which as its set up now it kinda moves past it but not very throughly at all. While i know the second chamber isent completely stagnant it seems as the bubbles made by the skimmer shoot straight across into the 3rd chamber.

I believe in the lowers flow area of the top half of chamber two would be a good place to have the skimmer manually moving the water and skimming it in addition to air rating the water. However as of now the skimmer in chamber one puts a massive amount of bubbles in the display and i would assume it wouldn’t get any better maybe worse putting the skimmer in second chamber. However would putting a foam pad of some sort between the baffle of chamber 2 and 3 decrease the bubbles? Would it be to dense and cause chamber 2 to overflow and 3 to run dry as its to restrictive for the water to run through fast enough? If its an issue what are peoples thoughts of running the skimmer when i wont be around, than when I’m going to spend the night or something in that room turn it off for the nice look of no bubbles. Iv drawn out my ideas. What do you all think. As i do have the skimmer i would hate to no use it. But i want the solids filtered out in the top of a media basket.

Left; Current Set Up Right: what i want to do. Bottom: foam that might help with bubbles

What do y’all think?? Also about running the skimmer on and off depending on if i will be enjoying the tank visually during that time or not....

EF581555-349D-4DCA-8AD2-40518A6971A9.jpeg

OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if anyone is a fan of that idea, any ideas of how to get the skimmer to sit nicely at the same height it does in chamber 1. I was thinking a small PVC pipe with some rubber on the bottom to prevent to much vibration.... thoughts on something like that...

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Evo 13.5 and see no need for the skimmer to be honest. And that seems to be the consensus with most who built this tank. Weekly water change of 2-3 gallons and the mini python to do any other cleaning in the sand or sump area. I just run the intank basket in chamber 1 with floss (changed twice a week) and chemipure blue and purigen. And the plug is in chamber 2.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back