Experimental filter

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping This will provide benefits similar to a DSB. Before the water inters the filter it will go through a 100 micron filter pad and then a 50 micron filter pad. So it will not become clogged. The pic is a very rough sketch. It gives you some idea of what I’m doing. The water will be gravity fed through the sand very slowly. I don’t know how slow yet or what the dimensions will be. I’m thinking 2ft tall but may make it taller depending on the size of the pipe. I’m posting this to see if anybody has any suggestions or comments. Good or bad let me know what you think the results will be
filter.jpg

Will have pics when it’s assembled.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should work quite well. It's based on the way pond and pool filters work, but with a biological component helping here as well. My concern is the T that joins the in and out side of the filter. You might have most of your water bypass the filtration media and go out that instead of through the sand. Water will take the path of least resistance, so I might not include a second connection between the two.

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the water is suppose to bypass the sand bed. If it goes through to fast it would bring in to much oxygen for the filter to work as intended. It’s gravity fed that’s why the intake is higher than the outtake.
Also It is not a sealed system. The top and bottom will be open. There will be a smaller pipe feeding water in and the bottom T will drain into the sump.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back