Exposing the truth: How to take unreal pics with your DSLR!!! -or- You are EXPOSED!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jeffys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of use will be sitting In front of the tanks tonight trying to take pictures! [emoji23]

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is part of why I hesitate buying online. If I do buy something, I want a white card in the picture so I can do my own WB. If you get a decent shot of the plug you can get an approximation off of it.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There truly wouldn't be a misunderstanding amongst peeps if they just took the time to understand how lighting affects EVERYTHING in the outcome of photography. *sigh* Anyways, your explanations can't get much more simple.
Great examples.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is crazy. So when you see pics and the plug and eggcrate is blue, what are they doing?
Means they probably used a cell phone! Lol
I was dumb and bought a mirror less camera and I can't get the white balance to work for the life of me! Every time I use a white card it turns everything red! So it's a paper weight and I use my Note 4 for pics.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is AWESOME!!!!!

Now, lets all go out and take some pics of our sticks (our SPS people :p) using this technique and use this thread to showcase all of our insanely colored prized jaw dropping magical specimens!

Scolacanthop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wonder that I did/do not order coral on-like much. I only trust my eye to spend my hard working money!!!

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what vendors get out of lying, what I don't understand is why a hobbyist would want to use this technique. I guess some people just don't like to be transparent...:(

I work really hard trying to get my photos as close to real life as possible because I LOVE for people to come look in person. I would be so embarrassed if I had lied online about something and got caught from a local stopping by....

Here's a few recent acro photos I took for my brother when he was selling out of the hobby. Every piece was purchased in person so lying on a photo would not have helped!

SSC
DSC_0287_zps5k8koobw.png

Blue Aussie
DSC_0285_zpsvrgs9eiu.png

Red Planet
DSC_0270_zpsibzsgj2k.png

These were 100% WYSIWYG, and while they don't have amazing yellow (okay that SSC is more yellow than green, but that's REALLY what it looks like), amazing rainbow coloration, they were still amazing acro pieces and I was happy to see them go to good homes.

Keep it real people! We all love people to give our tanks and inhabitants attention and love because we work so hard and spend so much money, but lying to achieve this is so wrong.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My d40 doesn't seem to do this.
Also I don't like changing the light channels for pictures as to not stress my coral.
Just so much blue!
Hints d40 users??

Reefermadness73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot in RAW and use Lightroom to take out the blue... Not the best pics but I do sell frags on my local forum
RMF Diablo Milli
7736860c207b7d32093e72dd2ffe0b70.jpg

Ultimates Purple monster
53d801104efc7b7798829ca081391342.jpg

Purple Rain
4c002655523183228194dfbac06999e4.jpg

ReeferJohn408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice article but once we were a victim of this photo misconception from an online vendor. A $150 1"inch bright burgundy red became dark brown in our tank a minute after acclimation. We are using Radion full spectrum and other LEDs. We try housing the frag from 3 different tanks but brown it is.

I kinda hid the frag behind the center of attraction because everytime the boss wife sits infront and admire the tank, I get that look everytime she sees that $150 1" disappointment frag.

We didn't bother to contact the vendor and hopefully someday the frag turns out well.

- as far as the white balancing. I have to try this on my Canon 1D Mark 3. :D

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- as far as the white balancing. I have to try this on my Canon 1D Mark 3. :D
Then you can show your wife why you bought that frag! [emoji4]
It's sad to say but this is why I stick to sticks that are known in the hobby and have been around long enough to know what there color will most likely be.
On another note some corals do loose there color and can take forever to color back up in some situations. My Tyree PL was in my tank for a good while before I was reminded of why I paid 65$ for a 1" frag. [emoji3]

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback guys both here and private. Glad to see I'm not alone in my plight. I am afraid however, that much like giving the recipe away for prize winning chili, we may actually start to see more of these kinds of pics having explained exactly how to do it lol:(

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back