Extending Ecotech MP40 Cords (Calling Electrical Nerds)

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I'm VERY logistically/financially committed at this point in the game to mounting all my electrical equipment on a large controller board on the OTHER side of the wall my new tank will be up against. However something I overlooked when designing everything is the length of the MP40 cords.

Has anybody ever looked into DIYing an extension for those? It doesn't appear that it would be too challenging to splice a 12-18" extension in the middle somewhere. Or maybe on the end that connects to the little white connecter on the PCB?

Yes I understand this would void the warranty.

EDIT - I'm embarrassed to say I didn't Google this first. I should have known I wasn't the first person to run into it. The first few replies answered my question. But DANG those are pricey! I assume I could easily find the components and DIY that extension for pretty cheap. Any suggestions on where to find those specific components?

EDIT EDIT - I'm really short-bussing it today. I found a thread here
that details DIYing the extension cables. Consider this thread closed :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_7755.jpeg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can get extensions directly from ecotech. you just have to call and ask, they arent normally sold on their site or through retailers. i got 15 ft extensions for all my radions and vortechs

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i stand corrected. this is the first ive seen them directly for sale online. good info!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

It looks like that's an aftermarket cable. Which is fine, but do you have any idea how that price compares to one directly from Ecotech?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like that's an aftermarket cable. Which is fine, but do you have any idea how that price compares to one directly from Ecotech?
I do not.. I’m sure it’s much cheaper thou.. I love eco tech but man!!! Prices are nuts

flyboysmb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called EcoTech recently and they said they stopped selling the extensions as there were some ”issues” with the “operation” of the pumps. Hs anyone experienced any issues running an extension (DIY or purchased)???

Thanks,
Steve

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called EcoTech recently and they said they stopped selling the extensions as there were some ”issues” with the “operation” of the pumps. Hs anyone experienced any issues running an extension (DIY or purchased)???

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, I made (2) DIY extensions for two of the four MP10's that I have on a 45g and they have been running for a little over two years. No issues at this time. I also have (2) DIY extensions I made for two of my four MP60's. Been running those for about 6 months and no issues to date as well.

I'm not sure how just extending a wire can cause "issues" unless it has some something to do with resistance and really long runs. My runs though happen to be only about 2 to 3 feet longer for what it's worth.

Maybe Ecotech just doesn't want to hassle with making extensions anymore? Though, they still sell the complete dry side with extra long cables. See below.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back