External/Display Refugium

Dae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have little to no room in my sump for a refugium and was looking at a DIY plan to build one that was external to my display. Does anyone have any advice/success with this? Some concerns I have are: 1. If it’s pump driven back to the display, in the case of a pump failure what are some ways to safeguard this? 2. If it’s gravity fed from a bulkhead drilled in an empty tank how well does this work? 3. Could this be done by repurposing an old sump that I have no use for any longer? (This also goes to 1. Being failsafe for a pump malfunction)

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how it makes a difference under a stand or next to the stand. You will need your return pump in it then you need a siphon break so the water stops draining. And yes use an old sump is fine. If you want more protection put the sump inside of a bigger container for water safety

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumb the fuge overflow into the current sump. Put a tee and a ball valve to control the flow back to the fuge.
This is how my 30g is plumbed into my 80g sump. It was a macro algae fuge but it worked to well. I removed all the macro and its a Nem tank now.
It has a 3+" sandbed. No3 run 1 and I have to dose po4 daily to keep it around .05.
If you zoom in on the sump you can see the 2 overflows going into one 7" sock.
20230730_095720.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back