External Parasite??

Paisley7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this pink streaked wrasse for just over 3 weeks. She is eating pretty well, and seems healthy, except for some mild tail and dorsal fin clamp behavior.
Over the last week I've noticed some white spikes of "tissue" under her mouth area. She's pretty shy, so it's hard to tell if its coming from the gills or above them but it doesn't appear to be in the gill tissue, and she is breathing and swimming normally. I've seen her scratch once, and "yawn" several times.
She's the first and only fish in a 20 gallon tank that was cycling for 6 months, so I did not QT. I've just been observing. I know these wrasse can be sensitive to medication
and don't tolerate FW dips well, so I hesitate to treat without really knowing what this is.
Any help or advice would be appreciated!

pinkstreakedit.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had this pink streaked wrasse for just over 3 weeks. She is eating pretty well, and seems healthy, except for some mild tail and dorsal fin clamp behavior.
Over the last week I've noticed some white spikes of "tissue" under her mouth area. She's pretty shy, so it's hard to tell if its coming from the gills or above them but it doesn't appear to be in the gill tissue, and she is breathing and swimming normally. I've seen her scratch once, and "yawn" several times.
She's the first and only fish in a 20 gallon tank that was cycling for 6 months, so I did not QT. I've just been observing. I know these wrasse can be sensitive to medication
and don't tolerate FW dips well, so I hesitate to treat without really knowing what this is.
Any help or advice would be appreciated!

pinkstreakedit.png
Clamped fins, yawning and issues around gills are some of the signs of flukes and may be as such. If you did not quarantine this fish initially which I suspect not as you have had the fish 3 weeks, I would recommend treatment with praziPro to alleviate flukes .
Remove any type of carbon that you may have running to allow Prazi to run at full strength which will be an initial treatment for an 8 day interval/period, change water and treat again for one more dose 8 day interval. To be safe, treat at 80% of recommended dosage. Also add aeration via air stone as prazi will reduce oxygen.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 176 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back