Extra bio-filtration with HOB

KuyaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to add a second Penguin 200 to my 55 gallon saltwater tank -- can I use ceramic rings (or even just live sand) instead of the filter cartridges to boost my biofiltration?

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just buy or make a HOB refugium instead of getting another filter if you want more bio filtration.

But to answer your question you can just put some marine pure blocks in there instead of filter cartridges.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to add a second Penguin 200 to my 55 gallon saltwater tank -- can I use ceramic rings (or even just live sand) instead of the filter cartridges to boost my biofiltration?
If you have live rock in your tank you don't need to add any further bio filtration - you already have more than you need.

Save your money and put it towards coral :)

Upvote 0

xunhe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use live sand. You can use ceramic rings, filter cotton, coral bones, etc.
Remember ~ take out the coral bones after they have been in the tank for a long time, otherwise the nutrients will be stuck

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biofiltration comes from the rocks and from flow (google "the berlin method), not from a filter cartridge? If you already have rocks and your fish are alive, then you have biofiltration, and you can't 'boost' biofiltration.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 56 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%

Back