Fairy wrasse laying flat heavy breathing in QT

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

This is my first time quarantining fish.
Barebottom 10gal tank with tidal 35 filter with ceramic media and powerhead towards the surface for adding oxygen.

I have had a blue headed fairy wrasse and yellow wrasse in there for over a week now. They already went through general cure two doses.
I changes the water 95% and started copper treatment after that. I dosed up to 0.14 cupramine two days ago, fish acted normal, yesterday I upped it to 0.27 tested. Fairy wrasse still acts normal and shy. I checked on them this morning and I find him like this.

What do I do now? He is still breathing but heavy.

9D6B1D8B-4333-489C-8CD9-40854910A4B3.jpeg

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cupramine (ionic copper) is rough on wrasses. Hope someone can help. I would probably try transferring him out of copper but I'm not sure if that's the right call.

Did you check ammonia?

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is clear at zero but the copper can mess with that result. I just did another check with the Hanna Copper checker and current levels are at 0.25
I knew to bring the levels up slowly and I am doing that. 4 to 5 days to 0.5 is what I was planning because thats recommended. Now I dont know if I should do copper at all.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also did a full water change besides the bottom bit like two days ago so theres no way in hell theres ammonia in this tank. The ceramic media was cycled from my established system so it can handle two fat tangs in there with normal feeding no problem

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking to remove the copper with running carbon all day. I cant stand to see fish like this while previously healthy. It hurts my soul.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, fairy wrasses handle chelated copper better than ionic copper. I think it's a good plan to remove the copper and see if he recovers.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another to add I have had great success with fairy wrasses in Copper Power.

Not helpful now, but hang in there.

You could consider pulling water from DT, even just into a bucket too if parameters are close or can be adjusted quickly.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another to add I have had great success with fairy wrasses in Copper Power.

Not helpful now, but hang in there.

You could consider pulling water from DT, even just into a bucket too if parameters are close or can be adjusted quickly.
Im ordering some, wont be here till next week though.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No but a powerhead is creating a lot of surface movement. I think oxygen levels are fine. I added that theres a yellow wrasse in there acting all fine and dandy

Yeah I was just thinking of what I did to save some tangs that had ammonia burn. They were breathing really hard so I did a methylene blue bath with a heater and airstone for 30 minutes and it really helped them. I have no idea if it could help with your scenario, maybe someone will chime in.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding extra oxygen and some form of stress coat will also help. If there’s any lights on, turn them off. Between the meds and the water change, he’s defiantly stressed out and that’s arguably the biggest killer of marine fish.

Also check the temperature and heater. If there was a sudden change, it might’ve shocked him.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth noting: when you go from one medicine to another, you need to wait a few days in between. If you don’t and you medicate back to back, you risk over medicating their system and, essentially, kill them by doing too much. Just because the meds are out of the water does not mean the meds have left fish’s body.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding extra oxygen and some form of stress coat will also help. If there’s any lights on, turn them off. Between the meds and the water change, he’s defiantly stressed out and that’s arguably the biggest killer of marine fish.

Also check the temperature and heater. If there was a sudden change, it might’ve shocked him.
Temp was fine, nice and warm. Oxygen levels are definitely ok. I know he is stressed and I am attributing it to the copper. The other fish is taking it a whole lot better. I just did the water change and I put some spirulina brine in after the change. I actually managed to feed him some by holding a coral feeder right by his mouth and he is trying to get up to chase the food, just doesnt have the strength for it yet. He is moving his muscles more but still laying flat. I think I have done all I can to help him right now. Hopefully he will be able to get upright by the end of the day. Either way I wil update tonight to let yall know how he is doing.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back