Fairy Wrasse Photo Library & ShowOff Thread...

OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never knew that as well until i did more reaserch on them..that is pretty darn big..i always thought that the c. melanomarginatus was the largest fairy...they look kinda like the scotts and i have seen one in person and they are huge as well..i thing the get to be like 7"

huskerreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Rosefascea one smaller one about 3 inches, the one that detguy123 posted in the pic above and another that is 6-7". I had just recently purchased the pair and was amazed at how big they were, I never realy paid much attention to the size since I had never seen any that had gotten very big.

OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are some more new fairys that i got pics from...all of the pics of the next ones i post are from Hiryouki Tankaka..he collects losts of neat fairy and flashers we never see here in the states and i invited him here to help on any of our q's on wrasses as well as other fish he as tons of knowledge and would be a great person to have around for everyone here...well let me get to the next fairys

Blood-stain Fairy wrasse -- Cirrhilabrus sanguineus

***Location: Endemic to Mauritius (which is about 900 miles to the east of Madagascar) in deep water at 40-60m
***Size: Small to 2.5 or 2.75 inches
***Color: A mix of purple and pinks on the head with blue and yellows right behind the head yelllow and white fins white belly and fins have blue trim about mid way on the body is a blood red spot
***Females: I have never seen a pic of one
***Price: Has far as i know there has not been any sent to the U.S. they are very rarely seen in thier own enviroment so they do not make it into the trade much but i am sure the price is very verry high
image011.jpg

image009.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crescent-tail fairy wrasse -- Cirrhilabrus lunatus

***Location: Southern Japan and Indonesia at depths around 30-45m
***Size: Small 3.5 inches
***Color: Ornage and yellow body with dark blue and black dorsal fin and lunate tail fins has some purple in the body too
***Females: Bodys are almost as bright and same colors has males but have a black dot at the caudal peduncle (tail) and the fins are a clear blue/black and has white lines running down the body
***Price: I am sure it is high not near as high as the last fish but it is not seen in the trade much
lunatas.jpg

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
detguy---- wow. thanks for the input to the thread, those are just georgeous. i love seeing other fish that are out there regardless of whether they are really available or not. really nice coloring on both of those !

thanks again..... really cool .....

OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debelius' or Adorned fairy wrasse -- Cirrhilabrus Adornatus

***Size: Small to about 2.75 inches
***Color: All white body with very little red on top of body and on dorsal fin dorsal and anal fins are trimmed in blue and has a yellow head closely related C. flavidorsalis and lubbocki
***Females: Looks identical to lubbocki, flavidorsalis, malindi and marjorie which is all pink/red with a black dot at the caudul peduncle (tail)
***Price: Is not bad it is about avarge anywhere from $45-$65 and i have been seeing more of these in the trade
adorned1.jpg

adorned.jpg

redfairys.jpg

Pictures by H. Tanaka- thanks

OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more will be coming in the next few days i have tons of pics to go over and i got to do some reaserch on some of these and i got some info coming back from H. Tanaka but there are some really cool fairys to come

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest addition from today, a newcomer to the hobby, Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus often referred to as the hooded fairy wrasse. It's ID is in question according to Dr. Tanaka and it hails from the deep waters of Vanuatu. Obviously, not my picture but the fish I received and it is clearly my favorite.
lg_0331091-059.jpg

I also keep an Aussie lineatus (Cirrhilabrus lineatus) , a Katherine's (Cirrhilabrus katherinae), and an Aussie laboutei (Cirrhilabrus laboutei) in my tank. Dr. Tanaka has a picture of the hooded which is much more accurate than LA's based on my observation which can be found here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/ft/index.php

Dave

Last edited:

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see this one in the lineup. I've got 5 of these in my tank, one has turned into a supermale and flashes to the females quite regularly. This pic is from just before full transformation, and is not the best at showing his flashing. They've got the most beautiful color of blue/purple to them. Very friendly and not shy at all.

Paracheilinus filamentosus
Filamented Flasher (AKA Whip-fin Fairy)

***Size: Small 3.5 inches
***Color:
The Filamented Flasher Wrasse is primarily red in color with a white underside. The fins are yellow with blue markings, and the dorsal fin is elongated. The color of the female is subdued when comparing it to the brilliance of the male. The male during courting will change colors very rapidly giving it its common name. Colors may vary depending on the fish's mood.
(information from liveaquaria.com)
***Females: See above
***Price: $29-39 (although purchased mine at an LFS, got multifish discount at $21/fish)

Filamented-Flasher.jpg

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[FONT=&quot]Pseudocheilinus ocellatus[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](Mystery Wrasse, 5 Bar Mystery Wrasse, Tail Spot Mystery Wrasse)
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Minimum Tank Size[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: 55 gallons
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Care Level: Easy
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Temperament: Semi-aggressive
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Reef Compatible: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Max Size: 4 3/4"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Color Form: Blue, Pink, Yellow [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Origin: Marshall Islands
[/FONT]
Info from Live Aquaria.
[FONT=&quot]Family: Labridae[/FONT]
DSC00488.jpg

OP
OP
detguy123

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the past two posts are not fairy wrasses..one is a flasher wrasse which there is a thread for them and the the last post is of a mystery wrasse..which is different genus of wrasse..please keep these to fairy wrasses only

reefermadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread, made me go out and by a Hi. Flame yesterday...A 3 hr acclimation, followed by darkness until 3:30 pm today. I didnt see him all yesterday, but he was already out and swimming today. He amazingly ate while in the bag at the LFS. (distributer said she has had him for months) So far so good, when the lights kick back on I will try to get a picture.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back