Fairy wrasse struggling in QT...help

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried those, maybe I can pick some up this weekend, I need to pick up more LRS food anyway. I have tried offering some of the Reef Nutrition ROE, maybe that's similar? I'll keep offering small feedings and see if they'll take anything.

I guess at this point I'm just a little unsure whether to just keep them in clean water or to go ahead and start my usual QT treatment of copper. It's hard to know when they aren't eating the best.

I got both fish from the same source, and it was not local.
Get them eating and healthy before meds... unless you see velvet or ich present I wouldn't stay treating until they are fat and readily taking food.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get them eating and healthy before meds... unless you see velvet or ich present I wouldn't stay treating until they are fat and readily taking food.
That's also my thought, though I'm concerned about the labored/heavy breathing if it continues and the lack of appetite continues.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't tried those, maybe I can pick some up this weekend, I need to pick up more LRS food anyway. I have tried offering some of the Reef Nutrition ROE, maybe that's similar? I'll keep offering small feedings and see if they'll take anything.

I guess at this point I'm just a little unsure whether to just keep them in clean water or to go ahead and start my usual QT treatment of copper. It's hard to know when they aren't eating the best.

I got both fish from the same source, and it was not local.

@eatbreakfast @HotRocks @Humblefish Any suggestions on whether to medicate or just observe?

I'll let the big guns chime in but I would wait to treat and just observe and try to get them eating. Any mediation may suppress their appetite even more.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pintail was interested in food and ate a couple times this evening. Potter's seemed a bit interested by the second feeding and appeared to eat a few bits, but gosh her mouth is messed up such that it's hard to tell when she eats, as essentially her mouth is always open. But, after a few nights of not burying in the sand, she found it again this evening.

All good signs I'm thinking.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, coming up on a month with the Pintail in QT, no signs of illness and eating well. I have not medicated, save for about 24 hours in a GC bath early on. I need to decide if I'm going to copper treat or not. I really am not sure what to do since we've gone a month without issue.

His tankmate, the Potter's Leopard got moved into the DT about...2 weeks? ago (against my better judgment) to try to get him eating pods as I couldn't get him to take anything else and thus far no issues with it or the other fish in the DT.

Looking for expert opinions on which way to go with the Pintail.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 37 28.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back