Fallow Period + Vermatid Snails?

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefing community, as the title implies, I’m curious if anyone thinks a fallow period would help rid me of the pests? I’m aware that vermatid snails are not the worst pest.

Background: I have plenty of vermatid snails in my current tank and I’m moving to a new one. I have a ton of acros and some LPS that have vermatid snails around their base. I’d like to avoid bringing them to my new tank.

What I’ve tried: I’m currently treating with bumblebee snails, feeding flakes, etc. I’ve also tried the coral snow method and it was not successful for me (I did this for 8 weeks+). I’ve been searching for other threads and it seems like most people simply tolerate these guys. However, I do think my number is higher and deserves a bit more attention.

The plan: Would it work to remove all fish and inverts, and leave fallow with just SPS, LPS, Mushrooms for ~3 months? Once my new tank arrives (it will be started with dry rock - which leaves bare an open canvas for these guys to multiply), I’d transfer existing fish and inverts there. To keep the coral happy, I’m thinking that I would try ammonia dosing. I would remove my skimmer and my algae scrubber. Even still I assume I may need to provide phosphate supplementation somehow (but I do want to avoid food).

Input welcome and thank you in advance.

OP
OP
SPSReeferMI

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is about 130 gallons. I do currently target feed some corals, but mostly because my phosphate is a bit low thanks to my algae scrubber. Mostly I just try to feed my fish a lot.

This is an older photo, but gives you some perspective.

IMG_2664_Original.jpeg

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And article I read from ReefBUilders
The tank is about 130 gallons. I do currently target feed some corals, but mostly because my phosphate is a bit low thanks to my algae scrubber. Mostly I just try to feed my fish a lot.

This is an older photo, but gives you some perspective.

IMG_2664_Original.jpeg
Depending on the size of the population of the vermatids, you may not have enough back up from the bumblebee snails to keep up with reproduction. Not sure what amount bumblebee snails is recommended, maybe someone will chime in with some more tips! I've also read that holding off from target feeding coral can help starve them. Beautiful tank, by the way!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 things certain in life, death, taxes and vermitid snails. Eventually they will end up in the new tank to. Just use a lot of bumblebees.

OP
OP
SPSReeferMI

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 things certain in life, death, taxes and vermitid snails. Eventually they will end up in the new tank to. Just use a lot of bumblebees.
Totally! But in this case I do have a narrow window to start over with a new tank. Looking to make the best of it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally! But in this case I do have a narrow window to start over with a new tank. Looking to make the best of it.
Agreed and it will probably be fine for awhile. I just look at things like vermitid and aptasia along with other pests as just another aspect of the overall biome just like algae is as well. Yes we want to minimize these things as much as possible but they always work their way back in. I think a healthy system has thriving corals and fish which directly correlates to the biodiversity and microfauna in the tank contributing to the overall biome. I do like to employ natural remedies also whenever possible versus synthetic options.

You show a picture of a beautiful thriving tank so obviously your snail situation is not having a negative effect because you have a well balanced biome.

OP
OP
SPSReeferMI

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else consider this option or have experience?

Thanks in advance!

Back