Fast moving black bugs on zoa

Leo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I think i might have a problem in my tank. I’ve started to notice tiny black dots that quickly craw around my zoanthids. I’ve recently noticed that a good number of my zoanthids have been closed and damaged, which I assumed to be stinging from a very fast growing chalice, so I cut it down a bit. But afterwards, they’re still closed up and damaged, so it’s probably from another source.
It’s really hard to get a good picture, but it looks exactly as it sounds. Black spots that move around pretty quickly, and they’ve been on my zoanthids. Is this the main source of problem I’ve been having from my zoanthids, and what are some recommendations I should do before I nuke my tank with medication?
That would be my last option, since I have a pistol shrimp in my tank. Thank you.

OP
OP
Leo1

Leo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video shot of a headless(?) zoa. As you can see, there are black spots moving all over it.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the bristle munching on them is not helping,def dip for blk bugs ,keep eyes open w flash light at night for more in other areas ,don't nuke at this point

OP
OP
Leo1

Leo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's understandable. That's choosing between the lesser of two evils. If I nuke, then I'd probably have to reintroduce pods, risk killing some larger crustaceans, and hopefully not have an ammonia spike. But IF I do need to nuke, I think interceptor would work. These things seem similar to the acropora red bugs.
Right now, I'm not too sure these bugs are causing my zoas to die off, but the fact that they're crawling all over the dead ones might be the smoking gun.
I can't really dip all my zoas, since a lot of them are attached to the rocks and glass, so I'll need another option.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what size tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Black bugs- near impossible to kill and they can wipe out zoa. Interceptor is about the only thing I know that actually works.
I had temporary success with CoralRX as some have had total success with dip.

OP
OP
Leo1

Leo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 10 gallon tank. Yeah, I ordered some interceptor online as soon as I noticed the bugs, but it's shipped internationally, so it's gonna take a while before it's delivered. In the meantime, what are some ways to slow the infestation? Thanks.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back