fastest way to grow zoas and pallys?

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to dedicate my 40 gal frag tank to growing zoas and want to know if any one has any tricks on getting them to grow fast as possible, is it a water flow thing? do they grow faster on live rock then on frag plugs or tiles?

my plan is to get and line the bottom of my tank with tiles and place frags on the tiles and let them grow and go crazy, then when its time for frag show i can take every other tile out and replace them with new tiles. how would be the best way to do this?

lars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing in my bare bottom frag tank and now they cover the whole bottom. I'm about to post on my local reef club- $10 gets as many as your bag can hold. It looks nice but they did get kinda out of hand. Good luck with it.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that they like dirtier water, dunno how true that is, just giveem lots of light and let them go. Good luck!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that they like dirtier water, dunno how true that is, just giveem lots of light and let them go. Good luck!

Yeah, I've heard that too. Also, look into dosing Vitamin C. Not sure if thats just a rumor, but I believe people have had luck with zoas and dosing VitC.

emureef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im one being against this type of thing. Let nature take its course, provide the zoa with a great place to live and it'll grow how its suppose to grow. There is no secret to get zoa's to grow faster so you can make more money... sorry to say.

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience I can confidently say that when I stopped changing my filter sock and stopped doing water changes for almost over 2 months that the Zs and Ps did grow a bit faster but in the end I lost 6 chalices 3 acan colonies and many SPS frags.

So in essence I agree with "emureef" do what your supposed to do it the right way from beginning to end. And let nature take it's course. Don't even attempt to create a dirty environment because the time it would take to get everything back together again took way too much time and mula.

As they always say, "Patients is a virtue" :angel:

emureef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience I can confidently say that when I stopped changing my filter sock and stopped doing water changes for almost over 2 months that the Zs and Ps did grow a bit faster but in the end I lost 6 chalices 3 acan colonies and many SPS frags.

So in essence I agree with "emureef" do what your supposed to do it the right way from beginning to end. And let nature take it's course. Don't even attempt to create a dirty environment because the time it would take to get everything back together again took way too much time and mula.

As they always say, "Patients is a virtue" :angel:

I agree with you 100 percent, there is no divine secret to growing them. This hobby isn't a hobby of seconds...things grow over months and years.... it takes time.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think that they liked "dirtier" water, until I started dosing vodka. Now, my tank water is clean as it ever has been, and my colonies in the display continue to pop out polyps like crazy.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say put them in the tank and forget about them... It seems that a watched frag never grows.:neutral:

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think that they liked "dirtier" water, until I started dosing vodka. Now, my tank water is clean as it ever has been, and my colonies in the display continue to pop out polyps like crazy.

ive heard that before, does it matter what kind of vodka? and how much do you dose, and how often?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to dedicate my 40 gal frag tank to growing zoas and want to know if any one has any tricks on getting them to grow fast as possible, is it a water flow thing? do they grow faster on live rock then on frag plugs or tiles?

my plan is to get and line the bottom of my tank with tiles and place frags on the tiles and let them grow and go crazy, then when its time for frag show i can take every other tile out and replace them with new tiles. how would be the best way to do this?

Your tile idea is exactly what I've done with my 125. Just be sure to have adequate flow and actively blow of detritus often. I've noticed that a buildup of nutrients/detritus around zoa colonies can lead to fungus or infection. I would also recommend leaving a space between your tiles and the bottom of the tank as I have done with a raised eggcrate platform. This way detritus can be more easily blown or siphoned out.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say much about accelerated growth, but I have had my fair share melt in record time :{

Yeah, i hear you on that. How's a 25 polyp colony of the Captain Americas in a day, or a 30 polyp of spidermans in less than a day sound? haha

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, blow off detritus on a consistant basis, keep them free of nudi's and other pest, give them good flow and stable parameters and don't keep moving them around, the less you mess with them and the more you don't pay attention to them the faster they will grow

YOUNGBLOOD

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to hear some feed back from u guy who have had mh and LEDs.... Growth wise witch of these lights r better

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 150w 14k mh on my 29 and am getting reasonable growth. A lot of it depends on the species.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back