Fauna Marin Salt not getting mixed in ( Perception or something else)

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I’m starting a new tank and mixed in Fauna Marin professional salt for the first time. Since tank was empty I decided to just mix in it, then add salt later.
The problem is the water is still milky white almost 48 hours later.
this is how it looks:
D6A2C26D-BCC4-4741-98CA-A3B6FDA13D92.jpeg
6B701E88-CABD-4497-9371-B61BB7557B31.jpeg

Even if you take some water out , it looks like that:
B37AB04B-1C3D-4725-A7EE-8220C0F884D6.jpeg

Pumps are all running at 100%.

The funny think is salinity isn’t Changing. It looks like it’s getting slightly better but not a lot.
I even 24 hours in removed 5l sample into my nano mixing station (canister with built in pump) where I normally mix other salts (Red Sea black, AF.. ) in less than 20 minutes, but after hours it was still milky white .

I’ve read some thing’s saying it could be calcium or alkalinity, some saying carbon is the problem , some saying to add carbon (like sparkling water)…
Im at a loss.

I have live sand which will go bad but I can’t use it until I get this sorted .

Any help is appreciated

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone can help? I’m noticing some buildup along the glass. I think it’s magnesium, CS or carbonate that is not dissolving

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm curious....why didnt you mix it and then put it in the tank?
Well the only container I have that can fit that much water is the aquarium, what difference does it make. But I put around 30x waver volume flow and nothing.

I’m honestly thinking of trashing water and this salt and starting over

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you did should have been fine. Not sure what the problem is. It never cleared? You can get precipitate if you overmix salt for too long but if your salinity didn't change much something else is going on. Can you take a pic of the product used? @Randy Holmes-Farley

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you did should have been fine. Not sure what the problem is. It never cleared? You can get precipitate if you overmix salt for too long but if your salinity didn't change much something else is going on. Can you take a pic of the product used? @Randy Holmes-Farley

4C8E0981-AE48-4A22-A0D2-298D5BF81A32.jpeg

I used this one. It’s the first time I used this salt. There isn’t really any hard precipitation, it’s just like a white haze you can see on the glass but goes away with finger easily.
But again I removed a part and tried mixing it in the small bucket so it’s definitely not my mixing power, something is weird. Also salinity is stable at 32 no going up. ( I mixed at 32 since when I add sand it will increase a bit too around 34-35 )

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I’d like to add that water isn’t the issue either as I did (as a sanity check) a 10% WC on my nano, I mixed Aqua forest salt in 15 minutes

This is usually my experience with AF salt :).

But again I removed a part and tried mixing it in the small bucket so it’s definitely not my mixing power, something is weird.

Can you please clarify this?

I mixed at 32 since when I add sand it will increase a bit too around 34-35

How so? If you are talking water displacement, then yes, but I would not expect that large of a bump.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please clarify this?
I have a 5L canister with lump inside that I use for WC on my nano. In it I usually mix salt in around 15 minutes.
I removed 5L of blurry water from the tank and added it to the canister and plugged it in. I let it run for an hour and the water was still looking the same.
I did that to confirm if perhaps the issue was not enough mixing power.
How so? If you are talking water displacement, then yes, but I would not expect that large of a bump.
Well I have canister with sand ( and salt water) which is filled to about 15liters , one that is added into the aquarium 15 liters of fresh water will evaporate to reach the same level bumping salinity . That should be around 35ppm

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5L canister with lump inside that I use for WC on my nano. In it I usually mix salt in around 15 minutes.
I removed 5L of blurry water from the tank and added it to the canister and plugged it in. I let it run for an hour and the water was still looking the same.
I did that to confirm if perhaps the issue was not enough mixing power.

I mean, it could just be a bad batch of salt. I've never used fauna marin salt (I didn't know they made one until this post, to be frank). Any particular motivation to use that one instead of the salt you typically use (I think you mentioned aqua forest previously)?
Well I have canister with sand ( and salt water) which is filled to about 15liters , one that is added into the aquarium 15 liters of fresh water will evaporate to reach the same level bumping salinity . That should be around 35ppm

So you're saying that the sand is sitting in 15 L of saltwater, so adding that to your display will increase the salinity once the freshwater evaporates? If so that's true.

Also, could you please remove the emergency tag from this post? I really would not consider any of this an emergency...

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it could just be a bad batch of salt. I've never used fauna marin salt (I didn't know they made one until this post, to be frank). Any particular motivation to use that one instead of the salt you typically use (I think you mentioned aqua forest previously)?

So you're saying that the sand is sitting in 15 L of saltwater, so adding that to your display will increase the salinity once the freshwater evaporates? If so that's true.

Also, could you please remove the emergency tag from this post? I really would not consider any of this an emergency...
Emergency tag was because of the sand, Aquaforest says to mix it and use it 24 hours later, I imagine because the bacteria will starve out.
Think Ill just add it anyway and do a water change.

I’ve used many fauna marine products in the past but after this salt I have a very bitter taste

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this exact issue in the past, but with a different salt.

The issue was of my own doing.
A combination of very cold water (which makes it more difficult to mix any salt), and pouring an entire bucket into the tank in one big lump.

Somehow cause precipitation that wouldn’t clear. I ended up binning the whole mix after 3 days and starting again.

Second one round I heated the water, pumps on maximum and not just throwing the salt into a big pile, but taking a little more time.

I know it’s not the salt in my case, as my second bucket was from the same batch and worked fine.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised . My experience with fauna marin thus far is that it has alot of "crud" in the salt mix..(8 boxes worth) black residue on the surface and powerheads, black sludge in mixing container when I wipe it out with a clean white rag...Fauna Marin is not being truthful when they say "mixes clean" I'm gonna try NYOS next and see what happens

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back