Favorite ATO & any other beginner equipment?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly figuring out all the gadgets I didn’t know I “needed” ..

Currently looking into auto top offs, I know some are built into controllers etc.. suggestions?

Also any other equipment that you wish you looked into when you first started? We have a 65g plus sump and overflow

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Tunze Osmolator 3 that should be here Monday. I am tired of the evaporation upkeep. I think it has made my tank salinity less stable.I am going to make a reservoir this weekend. It might be something i should have bought earlier, but I generally thought of it as more a luxury then. We will see.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Tunze Osmolator 3 that should be here Monday. I am tired of the evaporation upkeep. I think it has made my tank salinity less stable.I am going to make a reservoir this weekend. It might be something i should have bought earlier, but I generally thought of it as more a luxury then. We will see.
When I agreed to a salt tank for my kid, I went out and bought the first tank I saw fit knowing it had to cycle.. thought everyone was over hyping the start up cost because of “luxury”.. little did I know there’s so many upfront essentials, rodi, the cans they mix in, filter choice, the list continues to grow

I thought the same about the top off, but it’s a nice piece of mind. Im torn between making everything easy as possible for success - or - making my kid work everyday between, cleaning, monitoring, maintenance for “their” tank so she learns better and can appreciate it when we do automate

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked it up, that looks like a heavy duty sensor! Can I ask how you decided on it compared to other choices?

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155. I use to manually top off everyday on a 150 gallon. Its a pain especially when having to carry buckets up and down stairs. Set it and forget it for about a week with an ATO, depending on reservoir size of course. The reason i chose the 3155 is the reliability and customer support i saw talked about on this forum. IMO better to buy once cry once than to get water damage in your home

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155. I use to manually top off everyday on a 150 gallon. Its a pain especially when having to carry buckets up and down stairs. Set it and forget it for about a week with an ATO, depending on reservoir size of course. The reason i chose the 3155 is the reliability and customer support i saw talked about on this forum. IMO better to buy once cry once than to get water damage in your home
The cry and buy once is precisely why I’m asking around on topics. I feel like at first I was rushing to just buy things - then realized how many options there are… for literally everything.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot to add. I think the key for ATO selection is having multiple fail safes. So one with not only an optical eye but with a float switch too.

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze are best . I have a redsea ato as it comes with Temp sensor, Water leaks sensor as well.

It's just a preference, but still would go with the new tunze ATO. Top notch

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm also in the Tunze Osmolator camp. Aside from the occasional pump replacement they are very reliable.
Next would be an Inkbird heater controller as a safeguard.
Aside from those 2 things i don't recommend any additional automated or controller equipment right off the bat as the attachment to the tank at first is what teaches you how to manage the system.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 65g plus sump and overflow

depending on how much you want to invest in the tank....

Id say get a controller, like apex or Hydros.
That will keep you spot on the temp, and pH of the tank live anywhere your at, as long as you have internet.

Then i would expand the ecosystem out as needed....
for example, if stability is a must... then id pair apex with trident, and Hydros with Maven + Hydros IV.

But now were getting expensive... and i mean really really expensive.

i do not think i could ever do a large tank without a apex / hydros.
I don't even want to think about how much time its saved me on testing water params.
But it does bleed money.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other equipment:
1714168107551.jpeg

For salinity the best thing I got.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont like hydrometers.... i prefer a calibrated refractometer, and my hanna like the OP.

The hydrometers, the ones where you either scope up water into its chamber, or drop in like that the one listed, can give bad readings if it has bubbles accumulated on the side, or if its sticking to the walls.

And yeah you can prevent that by wiping it, but did i mention i also broke a couple just from looking at it funny?

So i will stick with refractometers and calibration solution, which Randy says stays good forever as long as you seal it up.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont like hydrometers.... i prefer a calibrated refractometer, and my hanna like the OP.

The hydrometers, the ones where you either scope up water into its chamber, or drop in like that the one listed, can give bad readings if it has bubbles accumulated on the side, or if its sticking to the walls.

And yeah you can prevent that by wiping it, but did i mention i also broke a couple just from looking at it funny?

So i will stick with refractometers and calibration solution, which Randy says stays good forever as long as you seal it up.

Thats interesting. I had a Hanna fail just after 1 year. Reason i switched to a hydrometer

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a glass hydrometer.. i think my 6th one, still inside its plastic housing.
I use it when im swimming in denail, not the river in Africa... if my salinity is ever off.

So i have all 3 in that incase scenario... altough, again.. its my 6th one for a reason.

I know they are more used in the beer keg fermentation side then salt water side.

But yes, i dont think glassware especially ones that can break if you put even a tiny big of force on the neck is something great for our hobby.

Im already bad enough with my eurobraced tank, and forgetting that i left something on top, only to realize it a week later after looking for it like a mad man when i do water changes.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros with Maven + Hydros IV.
Maven???? Say what, where did you get one from, at this time they are coming soon.
1714172680874.jpeg

You are not working Hydros?

i prefer a calibrated refractometer
Which one in particular? I never seen calibrated refractometer…
I am genuinely curious…
You can calibrate them but from my experience I had 3 calibration fluids and got 3 different readings.
But if it works for you don’t change.

or drop in like that the one listed, can give bad readings if it has bubbles accumulated
Did you actually use TM Hydrometer? The things is like a torpedo and one bubble will do absolutely nothing. I have yet to see a single bubble on mine and if there was one you can shake it off. I think that is the most perplexing argument I ever read against TM floating hydrometer.
Please show a picture with bubbles on the TM Hydrometer in reef tank.
Fragile, yes they are made from glass so be careful. Most reef tanks are also made from glass.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maven???? Say what, where did you get one from, at this time they are coming soon.
You are not working Hydros?

Which one in particular? I never seen calibrated refractometer…
I am genuinely curious…
You can calibrate them but from my experience I had 3 calibration fluids and got 3 different readings.
But if it works for you don’t change.

Did you actually use TM Hydrometer? The things is like a torpedo and one bubble will do absolutely nothing. I have yet to see a single bubble on mine and if there was one you can shake it off. I think that is the most perplexing argument I ever read against TM floating hydrometer.
Please show a picture with bubbles on the TM Hydrometer in reef tank.
Fragile, yes they are made from glass so be careful. Most reef tanks are also made from glass.

If you think i work for coralvue, you should read the other posts i made in that MAVEN thread.

I said a controller + tester, and so far there are not many testers, trident, maven, reefbot, and mastertronic are the ones that come into my head... but coralvue and apex are the two that are expandable ecosystem wise.

And i dont think i need to continue on with what i mean about a calibrated refractometer.
It means exactly that... a refactometer that has been calibrated.

It seems like you have an issue with me, so here let me show you i know what i am talking about:
20240426_171051.jpg

And show you bubbles? are we being serious here?
Have you not seen bubbles collect in your water tank or mixing tank?
Bubbles can even come from something like a power head used to mix the salt hitting the rim of the water line.

Last edited:

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And show you bubbles? are we being serious here?
You brought up bubbles not me. So I want to see these bubbles impacting TM hydrometer. I am very specific here and we are talking TM hydrometer and bubbles.

I agree, very silly comment to make since I use the TM Hydrometer and you really need some large bubbles to impact the reading.

1714177635295.jpeg

That is the TM hydrometer, show me the bubbles that will impact it? By the way I have no bubbles in my tank and I use 2 MP 40 and two Maxspect gyres.
If you have bubbles in your display perhaps your skimmer is not set up correctly or your water level in the return chamber is low.
When mixing fresh salt water you should not be too aggressive and again there should be no need for bubbles. You are mixing fresh salt water not aerating it.

From your picture, that is small swing arm hydrometer, I would never recommend something like that. We are in agreement.

It seems like you have an issue with me,
I do not have issues with you, not sure what got you that impression.

But I will make corrections when faulty recommendations are made, like here:

hydrometers, the ones where you either scope up water into its chamber, or drop in like that the one listed, can give bad readings if it has bubbles accumulated on the side, or if its sticking to the walls.
As you noticed I only commented on TM Hydrometer and bubbles.
I suspect you never used TM Hydrometer.

Same goes for Hydros Mavis, the device is not released so why make the suggestion to a new reefer?
Please explain how is a new reefer is going to benefit from device that is not released?

And if we are in the comparison business I do have refractometer and as stated with 3 calibration fluids I got 3 different results. Problem is the calibration fluids.
But if it works for you and you get consistent results keep using it.

I also use conductivity probe on my GHL P4. So I know a little about salinity, how to measure it and what works. Been doing it for more than few years now.

Sorry OP for the detour.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mixing fresh salt water you should not be too aggressive and again there should be no need for bubbles. You are mixing fresh salt water not aerating it.
This was my thought process. Although i do have micro bubbles in my display due to AIO and not wanting to be set to high to affect ATO float valve switch level. When I’m making fresh saltwater there are no micro bubbles in my brute container. Apologize also for the detour

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back