Favorite "Black Box LED Light"

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks how many do you need and would I need 2 165 watts on a 100 gallon 48 inch tank I have softies and Los but planning on sps
I would do 3 across like this || || || versus = = =
That would give best coverage without any dark areas in between.
Well dang! I've had mine for almost 2 years, guess things have been changing quicker than I thought
Just depends on what you are growing and how much coverage you need.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just depends on what you are growing and how much coverage you need.[/QUOTE]

Well I have a mixed reef... In transition to SPS/LPS dominant, with a few others. I already have lots of Acros, Millies, Montis, and all do well anywhere there isn't shade, sand bed to top. And btw, my shaded areas I made. These lights don't allow shaded areas, at least for my tank and rock work.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works great for coral just don't like the color range much like the kessil

I think you just gotta play with it a little lol. I have gotten many different colors out of these. Even a nice pink color for mornings... my only negative thing is that I don't know what it's giving out in terms of Kelvin for the channels at a certain percentage. I guess that's where a par meter would come into play, could be wrong...

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a lux meter on your phone it can give you a good idea of what colors have matching intensity

gregj20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up two used apollo reef lights. I have been using them for a couple weeks now but dont know anything about them. They are controlled by my apex. The lights look exactly the same but one has more uv leds than the other.

Last edited:

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a lux meter on your phone it can give you a good idea of what colors have matching intensity

Ok, so good to use for intensity matching, but still won't give me a Kelvin rating..?
Sorry I don't know jack about these meters, just to set it where you want and read the numbers lol

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so good to use for intensity matching, but still won't give me a Kelvin rating..?
Sorry I don't know jack about these meters, just to set it where you want and read the numbers lol

Yes it will give you intensity reading, so if you know a certain level that your corals are already doing good at but want to change color you could try to match that intensity.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will give you intensity reading, so if you know a certain level that your corals are already doing good at but want to change color you could try to match that intensity.

Got it!! Thanks bud, so basically it's the same thing, just a different method... maybe cheaper..

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it!! Thanks bud, so basically it's the same thing, just a different method... maybe cheaper..

Yeah they have free lux meter apps on phones. The best way would be to us a par meter but those are expensive

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they have free lux meter apps on phones. The best way would be to us a par meter but those are expensive

Yea that they are, I mean I have the meter just not the wand and sensor... the sensor is what's expensive.

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say with the money you save buying a black box to invest in a par meter.

McLovin70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on sb reef lights. Have the new 32 Wi-Fi extreme. Programming app is cool...haven't had to screw with it since I set it up. Tank is relatively new...so can't speak to growth..polop extension is nuts on my turbinara and cup coral tho.
61a3b78eee324b6c6bce636393969236.jpg
847b1e621199a72a5d4c2d35c23ffd7e.jpg

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea $150 for just the sensor.. and that's the cheaper one, others go for hundreds.
I'm going to download the lux app and give it a shot.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering a tank upgrade to a 60"x30" tank. I have an ati sunpower 8x54 watt currently. Would like to avoid selling it. How many of the standard 165 watt black boxes would be appropriate to supplement it for an sps dominant tank with minimal/low lying rock scape. I like to have the lights be suspended 12-18" over the water

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering a tank upgrade to a 60"x30" tank. I have an ati sunpower 8x54 watt currently. Would like to avoid selling it. How many of the standard 165 watt black boxes would be appropriate to supplement it for an sps dominant tank with minimal/low lying rock scape. I like to have the lights be suspended 12-18" over the water

I would say 3 to 4, depending on how high you mount them. And probably the direction of them too.

pettoe90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An app?? .... Soooo do you submerge your cell phone underwater to get readings?

No I wouldn't recommend that, I used a piece of glass on top and placed my phone it. The lux meter just gives you something to reference to and compare intensity from different colors

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back