Feather Duster Identification and Choking Off Zoas

Eric Straus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helllo,

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify what’s choking off my zoas? It started out as one from a frag I got from someone else has now spread to others. Looks like some feather duster type. It’s soft body and wraps around everything. Thank in advance!! Hoping some kind of fish will eat it.

E2E08A20-326F-4903-BB16-410BA0D24C5E.jpeg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feather dusters are irritating the zoas and the zoas are having a hard time stretching for light. So look like you've got 2 distinctive problems ocurring there. If the zoas were very healthy they would take over IMO. You can remove the dusters with tweezers and correct the need of light for the polyps.

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bunch in my new frag system too, so I picked up a Melanarus wrasse..... doesn't touch them. I may try a Yellow Choris wrasse next, although, when I frag, I predip my zoas/palys in Revive and post dip them in CoralRx and this combo takes care of the featherdusters. They literally flee their tubes. I then take a tweezers and remove the tubes

OP
OP
Eric Straus

Eric Straus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bunch in my new frag system too, so I picked up a Melanarus wrasse..... doesn't touch them. I may try a Yellow Choris wrasse next, although, when I frag, I predip my zoas/palys in Revive and post dip them in CoralRx and this combo takes care of the featherdusters. They literally flee their tubes. I then take a tweezers and remove the tubes
Thanks Dan! I will try that. I got them from a frag from someone a few months back. I couldn't add a wrass due to the berghia still in the tank.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters' "dusters" are basically worm gills and I cannot see them irritating Zoas.

Need better pics but I suspect those might be a type colonial hydroid.

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definately irritate my zoas. If they are open and near or above the head of the polyp, the polyp usually won't open.
As I mentioned, the "worm" wriggles out of the tube when dipping and swims around briefly. Hydroids are not affected by the dips.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same ones in my tank, then got 2 peppermint shrimp and they DEVASTATED them!! Had them all eaten in a few days. So suggest you get a couple.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of common colonial hydroids:
maxresdefault.jpg

Note in this species of colonial hydroids the tubes are thicker:
post-74751-1339078496_thumb.jpg

FROM: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/to...y-new-tank-has-possible-hydroids-please-help/

The picture of the OP is very similar to this species of feather duster:
index.jpg

The best way to know if it's a feather duster is to touch the crown and it will retract.
Those dusters normally grow in the sump.
Yes, they will irritate the zoanthids as they are doing right now and we can see.

Some other friends also thought they were colonial hydroids in this thread (page 6 post 105):
Here is the picture of similar feather dusters from that thread:
proxy.jpg

But yes, they are very similar.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back