feeding acans

bigbill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probly a dumb ? but iam new to all this when i feed them do i feed ea head ?

:tongue:

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that says what I think is says, no, one head can feed the whole colony!

haha

However each head will probably eat therefore getting more food intake ;)

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally true. Many people only add zooplankton (nearly microscopic food) to the water column and let their flow and pumps take the food to the coral. They say this gives them enough nutrition for good growth. I feed with this technique every other nite using a Reef Chili and Coral Frenzy blend. Its very easy to do but imo it doesn't give the corals as much as if you feed them more meaty foods like small shrimps and cyclops, etc. I feed these food items on opposite nights from the others. I personally try and feed every head on every coral (my lps, like acans and chalices). As I said in the other thread I use a turkey baster and make sure the food goes right into the mouth of the coral. This method is called target feeding. I like it because the food is expensive and if you make sure it goes into the mouth then you get the most for your money. Also if it doesn't go into the mouth then it will contribute to polluting your tank so target feeding makes sense water chemistry wise. On the other hand you can just toss these meaty foodstuffs into the tank and hope your flow takes it to the mouths of your corals. This method is called broadcast feeding. Its much easier. Actually what I do is target feed and then turn on my pumps so any residual food that missed the mouths goes into the water column and hopefully gets grabbed by a mouth. Then after a while I turn on my recirculation pumps so my water goes from tank to tank. So I guess I do a hybrid target/broadcast feeding, lol.

OP
OP
bigbill

bigbill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally true. Many people only add zooplankton (nearly microscopic food) to the water column and let their flow and pumps take the food to the coral. They say this gives them enough nutrition for good growth. I feed with this technique every other nite using a Reef Chili and Coral Frenzy blend. Its very easy to do but imo it doesn't give the corals as much as if you feed them more meaty foods like small shrimps and cyclops, etc. I feed these food items on opposite nights from the others. I personally try and feed every head on every coral (my lps, like acans and chalices). As I said in the other thread I use a turkey baster and make sure the food goes right into the mouth of the coral. This method is called target feeding. I like it because the food is expensive and if you make sure it goes into the mouth then you get the most for your money. Also if it doesn't go into the mouth then it will contribute to polluting your tank so target feeding makes sense water chemistry wise. On the other hand you can just toss these meaty foodstuffs into the tank and hope your flow takes it to the mouths of your corals. This method is called broadcast feeding. Its much easier. Actually what I do is target feed and then turn on my pumps so any residual food that missed the mouths goes into the water column and hopefully gets grabbed by a mouth. Then after a while I turn on my recirculation pumps so my water goes from tank to tank. So I guess I do a hybrid target/broadcast feeding, lol.

i use rods to feed them so i should be good with that right

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like rods food cuz its such a complete food, just so many things in there. On the other hand the original formula does have pieces in it that are too large for acans to eat.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back