Feeding Help Advice Please! Lawnmower Blenny foods

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help please. Are there any vegetables a lawnmower blenny can be fed/eat? Got my lawnmower blenny 2 years ago from LFS. He has grown a bit since that time so I do not think he is "old". Although I do not have much algae in the tank over the two years, his belly has been fat..think Budda Belly. He would eat frozen mysis, not brine shrimp, he'd swim to the top to eat pellet food that hadn't sunk yet, he's eat algae Seaweed Extreme pellets like crack cocaine, and first to graze at nori seaweed. Past month his appetite has declined, belly smaller, not pinched, and he is not swimming around like he used to do. 50 G tank. No problems with cleaner shrimp, two mollies, two clowns. His skin and coloration looks normal. Just hides a whole lot more. Used to stalk me at the window glass. Alway came to window to see me. He is the town mayor, the Aquarium Godfather. That said, none of the above foods seem to interest him. I have tried other brands pellet, flake, bottom feeder pellets, different seaweed. All that said.. anyone have success with vegetables? I recall someone once saying broccoli blanched or some other vegetables can be fed to lawnmower blenny. Any thoughts? I love this guy way too much to lose him! I even made a video of my little buddy (link below).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the fish quarantined? Could it be internal parasites or something? Was there any new fish added that possible could be stressing the blenny out? I'm trying to think of why the fish may not be eating as much. There also may be no problem at all.

Btw have you tried ocean nutrition seaweed extreme red seaweed? My fish go nuts for that.

OP
OP
K

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the fish quarantined? Could it be internal parasites or something? Was there any new fish added that possible could be stressing the blenny out? I'm trying to think of why the fish may not be eating as much. There also may be no problem at all.

Btw have you tried ocean nutrition seaweed extreme red seaweed? My fish go nuts for that.
Thank you for the reply. No new fish. Last new fish added was 8 months ago (Clowns) and LFS does a 30 day quarantine with treatment protocol before releasing to customers. And yes to trying ON red seaweed. Nyos algae pellets and couple others without success

OP
OP
K

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 is getting up there for a Lawnmower Blenny. Could just be he’s slowing down.
Nooooo, don't say that! Inwas told they can live 6-7 years if healthy. He was so healthy and comical and curious. Can’t believe how such a homely looking fish swam its way into my heart.

pacificnewt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on Mr. Blenny? I absolutely loved your video!! I just brought home a small lawnmower blenny today and stumbled upon your post while searching a specific blenny question. Yours is so comical and so friendly, I can only hope mine will end up that way! Mine is about 1.5 - 2 inches long. So I am hoping he has a nice long life ahead of him!

OP
OP
K

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on Mr. Blenny? I absolutely loved your video!! I just brought home a small lawnmower blenny today and stumbled upon your post while searching a specific blenny question. Yours is so comical and so friendly, I can only hope mine will end up that way! Mine is about 1.5 - 2 inches long. So I am hoping he has a nice long life ahead of him!
Hi there! Sadly, my Mr Blenny passed away not soon after. Give your's a little time to overcome shyness if it's hiding. I am sure you will find miles of smiles with your blenny's quirky, inquisitive behavior!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back