Feeding my baby porcupine puffer

Soph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am new to this forum and would like some advise on what to feed my baby puffer. Our puffer pongo is a porcupine puffer and he/she is around an inch big, it’s so tiny. We’ve had him for a week, he’s settled in well and at the moment we are just feeding him misis shrimp, to which he loves.

I know puffers require shell food for their beaks but we don’t have a clue what he should be eating at present due to how tiny he is. I am wondering if anyone has ever had one this small and if so what they recommend to feed him?

Thanks

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A6F3F06-5CAE-49AA-B83D-31F8D71EE0AF.gif

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Soph!

Very cool you have such a very little puffer and I love the name, Pongo!

You may want to try chopping up some of those small clams into Pongo size bites. ;)

Below is a pic of the puffer my daughter got me for my birthday recently. Yet to be named but feeding won't be an issue! :D

20190312_092754.jpg

Last edited:

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I got my Porkie Pine around the same size and had the same concern. Does he have any tank mates? I had a baby Huma with mine he would try to steal his food so i had to sit there for about 20 minutes before he would eat enough. What i would do is buy a bag of half clams and get the smallest ones out of it and drop it in the tank next to him till he started nibbling on it. It worked very well. The only thing now.... He will ONLY eat half clams....

facts-about-puffer-fish.jpg

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Soph

Soph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Soph!

Very cool you have such a very little puffer and I love the name, Pongo!

You may want to try chopping up some of those small clams into Pongo size bites. ;)

Below is a pic of the puffer my daughter got me for my birthday recently. Yet to be named but feeding won't be an issue! :D

20190312_092754.jpg
Haha love this so much!! I hope your puffer brings you plenty of joy! Haha! Thanks for the advise

OP
OP
Soph

Soph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Soph

Soph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I got my Porkie Pine around the same size and had the same concern. Does he have any tank mates? I had a baby Huma with mine he would try to steal his food so i had to sit there for about 20 minutes before he would eat enough. What i would do is buy a bag of half clams and get the smallest ones out of it and drop it in the tank next to him till he started nibbling on it. It worked very well. The only thing now.... He will ONLY eat half clams....

facts-about-puffer-fish.jpg
Aww how gorgeous is your puffer. Ok amazing I will try that, I love him so much already haha! Yes he is living with a royal grammer and our two clowns, who are all getting along and they all eat fairly, I worry about over feeding him as well. When I give her the shrimp he eats until his belly looks pregnant

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha love this so much!! I hope your puffer brings you plenty of joy! Haha! Thanks for the advise

You're quite welcome.

I am happy to let you know that my daughter has named the puffer, "Hufflepuff." Take a wild guess what her favorite book and movies series are???

OP
OP
Soph

Soph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're quite welcome.

I am happy to let you know that my daughter has named the puffer, "Hufflepuff." Take a wild guess what her favorite book and movies series are???

Haha that’s brilliant!! Harry Potter lover! (Hope I guess right, if not that’s slightly embarrassing )

This is our little pongo

649C4F0E-EBCC-4671-B9CF-6F64D712921E.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back