Feeding The Finicky Fish

Reef News

Latest Reef News
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding The Finicky Fish

So you got yourself a fish and he doesn’t want to eat that delicious pack of mysis shrimp that the rest of your tank inhabitants love, and even fight over. What ever shall you do?! Well first let us take a look at why a fish would not want to eat.

Fish caught from the wild often hunt for live food or are accustomed to a particular species of algae or seaweed from their environment. Fiji’s ocean has much more food to choose from then the box of water I have here in Indiana, even when I over feed. One reason a fish may not accept your food is because you simply do not have what they are used to. It is like a kid picking out food at a foreign restaurant for their first time…they just want the grilled cheese sandwich!

1.jpg

psychedelic wrasse image via reef2reef member @soccerbag

Sometimes a quick fix is to change food! If your fish doesn’t want to eat frozen food you may have to try live stuff. Some places off live feeder foods like pods, brine, and even live mysis. These will almost instantly trigger a feeding frenzy, however it is not financially wise to keep these animals on live foods alone, as shipping them can get expensive if your LFS does not carry them. Another option is to grow your own! Hatcheries are cheap to make and often the animals you want to grow come with the necessary mix of food and salt. Brine Shrimp often comes in a sack of eggs and salt and requires no more than a jug of water and some bubbles.

2.jpg

brine shrimp hatchery image via reef2reef member @twiggyb

If your fish still does not want to eat, try injecting the foods with garlic extract. As a fisherman I have experimented with various means of triggering bites on days when fish are at their laziest or during spawning season when they are too busy making nests. Dipping my lure in Garlic has triggered some of the fastest bites I have ever encountered to the point where I felt I was cheating! This also works with reef fish, although garlic does not knowingly occur in the ocean. What ever the reason, the fish usually love the stuff and some believe (but not scientifically proven) that the garlic boost the immune system in fish like it does people. If anything it makes them stink so bad the ich leaves them be. DO NOT AGREE WITH THAT PLEASE.

3.jpg

Some tangs will be very picky with what color algae you put on their clips. One tang may love the green stuff while the same species in another town may only like red. Simply try switching the kind you are feeding them! Maybe the stuff with garlic is actually keeping them from eating it? If using a garlic enhanced food try something without the additive. Look in your Asian food aisle or store for dried seaweed that has no additives, but beware, some packing may only be in a foreign language and you may have to ask the store owner to translate if it is an authentic place. This is the stuff they wrap sushi rolls with, if you did not know.

4.jpg

fish eating nori (seaweed) from a algae clip. image via reef2reef member @Mike&Terry

Other instances may be harder to determine if in fact your fish is eating. Some fish enjoy a minimal amount of meat and a mass amount of algae! In my tank there is a Pygmy Angel that will not touch any food I feed and I have tried EVERYTHING!!! He has been with us for a good 6 months now and is fat as can be. I later realized he was living purely off the algae on my rocks, which is perfectly fine as long as I have algae.

Meat Eating Beastly fish like the Lion, eels, groupers, and even sharks are much harder to coax into eating sometimes because they have no supply of live food to hunt. If switching foods and spiking with garlic do not get them to eat then it is time to get some Salt acclimated mollies or guppies. The fish must be fully adjusted and fed marine food for at least 2 weeks to be considered acceptable marine food. NEVER USE FRESHWATER ONLY FISH LIKE ROSIE REDS OR GOLDFISH THEY CAN KILL YOUR FISH!

5.jpg

Yellow Dwarf Lionfish image via reef2reef member @Breakin Newz

Here is how I got my lion to eat. First I started by dropping in one or two feeders. Predatory fish cannot resist a small, helpless, slow swimming fish. He instantly nabbed them one by one. I allowed this to go on for a few days, feeding him one or 2 every other day to keep him on the hungry side. Once I was sure he loved live fish I started dropping in fish that I would kill. A humane way is to poke a needle through the head of the guppy or mollie and it will die painlessly, freezing them didn’t seem to work well for me with feeding, plus the wound gave the fish something to smell.

I used a meat skewer to give the fish a little life and the lion inspected it as I teased him a little until he finally devoured it. Each time I fed him I would lay off the fish a little each time until I could finally just toss it in dead and he would eat it. I finally moved onto silver sides and whole table shrimp and could end my guppy killing.

After a while he would even eat clam and squid meat. Eels are a little different though. They are blind. The best way to entice them to eat is smell. Poke holes in what you are trying to feed them to increase the scent.

If you have tried everything in your power to get your animals fed and they still wont accept anything than it is time to look deeper into the problem. Some fish, like the copperband butterfly will literally starve themselves to death. These feed on aiptasia sometimes and when one is fully accustomed to that diet you might as well forget it. This would be the ideal fish to pass around to the local aiptasia clubs.

6.jpg

copperband butterfly fish image via library.thinkquest.org

7.jpg

closeup photo of aiptasia anemone: not how it is stinging coral close by

Dragonets are a great example of fish that require specialized diets. It is said that a Mandarin Dragonet will eat one pod every 10 seconds while it is awake. If your lights are on for 10 hours a day that would mean he would need to eat THOUSANDS of pods in one day just to get by! Thankfully these fish can be trained to eat frozen foods given the right techniques. Some places sell them already on these diets, which lead to extremely healthy fish and less stress over pod production in your tank.

8.jpg

Green Mandarinfish

Specialized diets are a very important thing to pay attention to. A Vegetarian cannot live off live guppies and an eel cannot eat algae. Do everything in your power to replicate their exact diets and then ween them onto an equally healthy and easier to accommodate diet.

Here is a good link for culturing foods: Culturing Foods

Good tang foods: Surgeon Fish Foods

Here is a good Whole tank food discussion: Food Discussion

Here is a thread on dry vs frozen food: Dry vs Frozen food

Here is a good article on training a Frog Fish or other predatory fish onto frozen food: Training fish to eat

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I like the hatchery. As I got baby Pom Poms now floating about like sea monkeys

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody dealing with finicky fish?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for enticing picky fish about eating I never put garlic solution directly on the food. Garlic is a terrestrial food and shouldn't be given to marine animals. The experts say marine fish can't even digest it. However the scent of a couple of garlic oil drops in the display tank water does wonders to make fish hungry and they don't have to eat it. I like to put just a couple of drops of garlic oil per 25 gallons about 5 minutes before I feed. You can see scared fish come out of the rocks all hungry with the scent.

Another thing I do with finicky eaters is give them a purchased bag of brine shrimp a couple days after putting them into the display. The actual movement and smell of live food entices the fish to eat. I've had good luck with brine coming from Florida through Liveaquaria but I don't know what's available in Canada. The last time I ordered brine shrimp from LA they came in the bag as mushed up soup. All the shrimp were in pieces and parts and there wasn't a whole shrimp in the bag. I was refunded but no one could tell me what happened. Previous bags were teaming with life. It was winter and that may have something to do with it and there could've been mishandling of the box. Anyway when I get the shrimp out of the shipping box I acclimate them to tank water and keep an airstone going in the bucket. I add a whole dropper full of Selcon and a second dropper-full probably wouldn't hurt into the bucket with the tiny shrimp. They eat the liquid and gut loads them with Omega's and vitamins and provides the fish with nutrition since the brine shrimp don't have much nutrition without it. I let the shrimp sit in the bucket with the Selcon overnight. The next evening I turn off the return pump, powerheads, put the heater in the display, and oxygenate the display with just an air stone since any kind of pump will chop up the shrimp into soup. The bubbles should be turned down fairly low when the shrimp are in the bucket and in the display. I then dump the shrimp into the display the second evening when the lights go off and the hundreds of shrimp spread out and are everywhere in the tank. They will even spread out into the caves where new timid fish will hide overnight. By morning all the shrimp are gone. Oh yeah I forgot to say I put in garlic oil into the tank when I pour the shrimp in. This method works well.

Only one time it didn't work for me and that was for a Bicolor Angel which are notorious for poor acclimation. Before I started using this method I tried to acclimate Bicolors several times and wasn't successful. I only tried one time with the brine shrimp and a Bicolor. If I try a Bicolor again I'll do the brine shrimp twice in a row a couple of days apart.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching out because I have a finicky fish... heres the story...

Reaching out because I myself just picked up a Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse at my LFS. Saw it swimming in a tank with with a single other cleaner wrasse and I just felt that I needed to take it home. I have done some research about them previously, but here is what we got....

Just arrived in their store today, and I took it home same day. Understandably so the wrasse has had a long day of travel so not expecting it to eat right away. After the afternoon feeding of the tank the wrasse seemed to look at the food but never went for anything (darting after pieces but not inhaling). No fish are bugging the wrasse at this time and the wrasse has yet to begin "cleaning" his new roommates

I have decided to get a plentiful amount of different foods for the little guy because this is the only wrasse in the tank, and I would really enjoy seeing it thrive. Incoming in the mail are the following: Zoo Med Can O Cyclops, Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes, and possibility of brine hatchery. In my freezer I have SF BAY mysis and Rods Food the regular blend. Current fish in the tank are on a pretty consistent diet of Probiotix New Life Spectrum pellets and Thera New Life Spectrum Pellets (All things found on Reef2Reef forums that these buggers were eating)

As for the tank itself it has been seeded with pods from Algae Barn several months back and been up running and creating a steady population. Five other fish reside in the tank so the slime coat intake may be okay for this particular wrasse.

Hoping I can get opinions on the wrasse, success stories, and other possible foods to grab for the bugger! Thanks all and have a great weekend reefing. Stay safe.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a fantastic thread on how to feed fish to be fat and happy. It changed how I feed my fish. The only difference is I use frozen fish cubes to make my "fish smoothies" LOL ;) :

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back