Feeling defeated one year in (reef tank)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips! I do a 5 gallon water change every Sunday morning and have only missed it one time due to a trip!

That's perfect, but I would expect your tank to look a little better with regular water changes. This leads me to feel there is something else going on.

I would ask you to continue with weekly water changes. Also, I would suggest that you stop dosing.

If it were my tank, my goal would be to reset through water changes so you can get things leveled off. Then test and implement dosing based on the needs reflected in your tests.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question i did have, is now I feel like I’m having to check everything, is I noticed some build up in my rear sump skimmer chamber and return pump chamber. This is red seas max nano peninsula so it’s an all in one rear sump tank. I also have a couple pieces of charcoal that fell out of a bag during the beginning at the bottom

is there any value in powering the tank down and cleaning this area? I would imagine just draining out the entire rear dump and wiping it down would suffice? Then maybe check my salinity and adjust from there after powering it on?

My skimmer that came with the AIO has acted crazy at times and would overfill. I think this created some gunk to make it in the back

The best way to describe it is that it looks like left over pellet food floating around. I could remove my mechanical filtration (sponge) in the return area to allow this all to pass through the tank and back into my mesh filter. I just don’t know if now is a good time with everything else happening. I will try to get a picture of the rear sump area

I say this to be helpful, not critical; your tank as a somewhat dirty appearance.

Based on the photos, things look kind of gray, which makes me feel that there may be a heavy layer of detritus.

Does part of your Sunday water change include blowing off your rocks cape?

Do you churn or vacuum your substrate?

I churn my substrate, blow off my rock-scape and clean the glass every water change. Get all of that junk free floating and siphon it out with the water change.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help! To be honest this is my first time testing phosphates and alk, we just ordered the kit. I can re test them again and see. It would be nice if that was the case, it seems all of our softies are plummeting.

Is there a good way to lower phosphate? I’ve been reading about baking soda mixes. Thank you again!
if youre going to have corals you need to check alk every 2-3 days, nitrates and phosphates once per week, unless you have a problem, then every other day till its under control. you absolutely need to at least dose alk, if its not stable, and because your corals dont have skeletons, you can prob skip dosing calcium and magnesium if you just keep up on your water changes. but alk not only gets used by corals but keeps your ph in check. You should order a kit that can test ALK,calc,mag,ph, nitrates, phosphates. these are the big 5. if there is a problem in the tank its usually one of those. other issues are flow and lighting.

OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s two pictures of the rear sump areas. Just trying to see if it’s worth emptying out the water and cleaning all of this out before it becomes a problem (or may already be a problem)?

Normally I have my skimmer and a large square sponge in place but I removed them to take these pictures

Attachments

• IMG_6302.jpeg
    IMG_6302.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6301.jpeg
    IMG_6301.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say this to be helpful, not critical; your tank as a somewhat dirty appearance.

Based on the photos, things look kind of gray, which makes me feel that there may be a heavy layer of detritus.

Does part of your Sunday water change include blowing off your rocks cape?

Do you churn or vacuum your substrate?

I churn my substrate, blow off my rock-scape and clean the glass every water change. Get all of that junk free floating and siphon it out with the water change.
I am here to learn so it’s not taken as critical! I use a siphon to suck up sand and then pinch it off so the sand falls back down and I get the detritus up!

I scrape the glass once a day and clean the glass on the outside usually once every other day. I use RODI water to clean it

I haven’t been good about the rocks though for sure. I have used a turkey baster and blew water into holes in the rocks and have seen matter blow out. It usually upsets the corals too and for some reason I stopped doing it. I thought maybe the clean up crew would eat away at it and I should just focus on the glass and sand.

How often should I blast the rocks? Thank you again so much

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s two pictures of the rear sump areas. Just trying to see if it’s worth emptying out the water and cleaning all of this out before it becomes a problem (or may already be a problem)?

Normally I have my skimmer and a large square sponge in place but I removed them to take these pictures
you can do as you wish, but i personally dont see how cleaning that back area out would solve a issue if the issue is with the water itself. i still recomend testing all the paramters, and or water changes.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One quick advice, it takes time for a reef tank to go from good to bad and to fix it you should also go slow.
Don’t rush, corals are in equilibrium with the water so you want to do changes slowly so corals can adapt to the new environment.

Also corals don’t lie, if they are unhappy something is wrong.
From my experience 80% it is water related and the other 20% is light/ flow etc…

In your case I would go back to basics, how do you check salinity? You state it is 36PSU, are you sure? You want 35PSU and you want to keep it there.
I use this:
1714163697358.jpeg

I only depend on it for salinity.

Next I would monitor Alk and PO4. Your PO4 is elevated but I would do nothing unless it jumps to 0.5 and it keeps going up. PO4 are important for the coral.
You can measure NO3 but I find it irrelevant and as long as the value is 1ppm you are good.

Calcium and Mg testing will confuse you and honestly not required for your tank yet.

As I mentioned before I would do four 20% water changes over a week period (one every other day) and that will reset your water column. With this you are changing about 70% of your water.

After that observe for a week or two and see if things improve.
Next consider small amount of carbon dosing, you can try 0.2ml of TM Bacto Ballance or something similar.

Next adjust lights and flow etc… I prefer 12k-14k profile, in the evening you can use the 18k on low power for viewing.

Make small changes and see if things improve.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am here to learn so it’s not taken as critical! I use a siphon to suck up sand and then pinch it off so the sand falls back down and I get the detritus up!

I scrape the glass once a day and clean the glass on the outside usually once every other day. I use RODI water to clean it

I haven’t been good about the rocks though for sure. I have used a turkey baster and blew water into holes in the rocks and have seen matter blow out. It usually upsets the corals too and for some reason I stopped doing it. I thought maybe the clean up crew would eat away at it and I should just focus on the glass and sand.

How often should I blast the rocks? Thank you again so much

I make it all part of my weekly water change routine.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks better than I thought it would. Always good to keep those chambers clean. But I wouldn't do much more than maybe siphon them clean or even stir the contents so they circulate and get picked up.

OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One quick advice, it takes time for a reef tank to go from good to bad and to fix it you should also go slow.
Don’t rush, corals are in equilibrium with the water so you want to do changes slowly so corals can adapt to the new environment.

From my experience 80% it is water related and the other 20% is light/ flow etc…

In your case I would go back to basics, how do you check salinity? You state it is 36PSU, are you sure? You want 35PSU and you want to keep it there.
I use this:
1714163697358.jpeg

Next I would monitor Alk and PO4. Your PO4 is elevated but I would do nothing unless it jumps to 0.5 and it keeps going up. PO4 are important for the coral.
You can measure NO3 but I find it irrelevant and as long as the value is 1ppm you are good.

Calcium and Mg testing will confuse you and honestly not required for your tank yet.

As I mentioned before I would do four 20% water changes over a week period (one every other day) and that will reset your water column. With this you are changing about 70% of your water.

Next consider small amount of carbon dosing, you can try 0.2ml of TM Bacto Ballance or something similar.

Next adjust lights and flow etc… I prefer 12k-14k profile, in the evening you can use the 18k on low power for viewing.

Thank you so much. I will lean in this advice and follow it. You all have been so extremely helpful and I am very grateful for it. Thank you all again so much

OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this:
1714163697358.jpeg

Is this the correct one?

It seems like dosing is once a way. How long should I dose for - or is it a continued thing indefinitely? Thank you so much!

Another question I had is I do have some chemicals on hand:

Reef iodine
Pristine

My LFS recommended doing a capful of iodine a week but I haven’t been consistent with that. Not sure if that’s why things went south for me here or not. I also do pristine after the water change too (1.5 capfuls)

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would venture to say that the cap full of unnecessary iodine once a week played more of a negative roll than helped. With all do respect you have no business dosing iodine in that system. Did you're LFS test your iodine before giving you that ridiculous advice?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if I missed it as my notifications are worse than the post office. Did anyone think that maybe the Kenya or leather wiped the tank out? Just thinking out loud as I've seen it happen and would hate for you to start buying miracles in a bottle. That could also explain your elevated phosphate? Decaying softies?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the correct one?
That is the correct carbon dosing product I use. The idea is that it feeds the bacteria and in turn corals feed on the bacteria. It is another food source for corals.

If you decide to use it just use 0.2ml a day, this is not to control nutrients etc… There are other carbon sources even vinegar will work but I am not sure how much to use. I only recommend what I tried and I found out it worked.

Anyways this is the recipe I follow:
1714184933172.png

I started using this in my early days when I only had white sticks, melting Zoas to look at. Flow is important to acros.

If you do the water changes (4x20%) you will not need to add other things. Also if you do 20% weekly water change you will be ok for now. Once your corals take off and your Alk drops you might want to dose something like TM AFR, only when Alk is being used up.

From my experience Iodine is critical but too much is as bad as too little. Perhaps drop a day will be ok. For the record I do dose Iodine, it is part of my 2 part Fauna Marine Balling Light system and if I get low reading on ICP I will add it.

Did anyone think that maybe the Kenya or leather wiped the tank out?
That is possibility. I never had Kenya so I am not sure what happy one looks like.

In my reef I have soft corals and acros all mixed. So I use GAC and only about 2 tablespoons that I change every 4 weeks. In your system I would use 1 tablespoon, if you use too much corals will be unhappy.

Few more pictures:
1714186213088.jpeg

1714186079072.jpeg

1714186144334.jpeg

1714186389983.jpeg

Good luck,

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if I missed it as my notifications are worse than the post office. Did anyone think that maybe the Kenya or leather wiped the tank out? Just thinking out loud as I've seen it happen and would hate for you to start buying miracles in a bottle. That could also explain your elevated phosphate? Decaying softies?

How would a Kenya or Leather do that?

OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the correct carbon dosing product I use. The idea is that it feeds the bacteria and in turn corals feed on the bacteria. It is another food source for corals.

If you decide to use it just use 0.2ml a day, this is not to control nutrients etc… There are other carbon sources even vinegar will work but I am not sure how much to use. I only recommend what I tried and I found out it worked.

Anyways this is the recipe I follow:
1714184933172.png

I started using this in my early days when I only had white sticks, melting Zoas to look at. Flow is important to acros.

If you do the water changes (4x20%) you will not need to add other things. Also if you do 20% weekly water change you will be ok for now. Once your corals take off and your Alk drops you might want to dose something like TM AFR, only when Alk is being used up.

From my experience Iodine is critical but too much is as bad as too little. Perhaps drop a day will be ok. For the record I do dose Iodine, it is part of my 2 part Fauna Marine Balling Light system and if I get low reading on ICP I will add it.

That is possibility. I never had Kenya so I am not sure what happy one looks like.

In my reef I have soft corals and acros all mixed. So I use GAC and only about 2 tablespoons that I change every 4 weeks. In your system I would use 1 tablespoon, if you use too much corals will be unhappy.

Few more pictures:
1714186213088.jpeg

1714186079072.jpeg

1714186144334.jpeg

1714186389983.jpeg

Good luck,
Wow your corals are beautiful! I’m uploading a video to show the flow with the Kenya’s, waving hands, and the rod. I just took the video now as my lights are coming on. Down to 12k at 60%. I don’t have a nice filter for my phone to take better pictures and videos sorry haha.

What does it mean by the suggestion of the Kenya wiping the tank? Does it rob nutrients or is it toxic to others? With no lights it’s closed up but it opens a lot when the lights come on and it stretches out. It’s also dropped a few babies that I placed in other places. Just trying to understand so I can fix what’s happening!

I also noticed my water has this dusty appearance to it too, hoping this is just because I stirred up the rear sump. This is also when the lights first come on, but sadly the GSPs don’t open up very much lately

Today I’ll do it first of four 5 gallon change and I will do this every other day for a total of 4 times. I’m also ordering that carbon to begin the daily dose!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would a Kenya or Leather do that?
Yeah I was trying to understand this as well. I know it tank is a bit ugly but as the day goes on the Kenya’s do open up and do well in the flow. It’s dropped a few drags too that I have placed in other parts of the rock. When the lights are off it closes up and kind of limps over like a sad tree some days, but stands right up when the lights come on

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Leathers use chemical warfare to attack neighboring corals rather than stinging them. But if you're running carbon it should help if that's happening.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does it mean by the suggestion of the Kenya wiping the tank?
My interpretation is that the coral was not happy so it released chemicals and poison the tank. From my experience some soft corals like orange Yuma, green mushroom are very aggressive. They will kill anything in their path.
This is the orange Yuma:
1714231766254.jpeg

Pretty coral but killer and pest.

Corals do chemical warfare as mentioned, hence one reason I always use GAC (Granular Activated Carbo).

I am not 100% sure if soft corals can wipe out a tank. Reefers loose corals or tank crash etc… and sometimes the easiest explanation is the soft corals wiped out the tank.
So far all of the bad things that happened to my tank have been results of my actions or lack of my action.

OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I just wanted to post an update. I’m at 3 of 4 of my 20% WC’s (5 gallons of a 26 gallon tank). I just checked my parameters:

Alkalinity 7.7
Salinity 35
Nitrate 5
Phosphate 0.21

I am currently feeding pellets once a day and have not added anything to my tank. The Zoas also turned into mush and I used a siphon to pull them out. The GSPs look better though

I’m still waiting for the carbon to show up to begin dosing, but I’ll take more pictures soon! Thanks again all for the assistance!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back