Feeling Discouraged - Adding New Fish to my 180 Reef

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon reef w/ blue tang, yellow tang, 2 pygmy angels, 5 chromis, 1 wrasse, starry blenny. For Xmas I wanted to add some new fish and I proposed that if I added a few at the same time they would fair better with the aggression being spread across a few fish.

I QT all new fish together in a 20 gallon w LR and existing filter media got them eating, BBS from a feeder, clam, mysis shrimp, and reef frenzy. They stayed in QT for 3 weeks. Tank was stocked with copods.

I added them to my tank and the fatalities are rising. My procedure for adding is I dimmed the lights in the tank and added them at 6:00pm giving them time to find a hiding spot for the night. tank parameters matched exactly. I moved the rock around that day to help them find hiding places.
* Red Scooter dragonet - died in QT after eating like a pig? No spots nothing wrong with him I could detect?
* Yellow watchman goby 0 died in QT after eating like a pig? No sand in the tank so I think I caused this? No spots nothing wrong with him I could detect.
* Orange spotted goby - DEAD in Display tank. No spots nothing wrong with him I could detect.
* 3 purple firefish - HIDING 1 full day... I fear they will never come out?
* green spotted mandarin - I saw him once alive...

HOW do you ever introduce fish to an existing tank? WHO could I add to my tank successfully? I wanted some fish on the bottom of the tank and different interesting looking fish.

After weeks of work to see them dead is soooo upsetting.

Neptune

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo of tank

Attachments

• 8D7956E1-F0DA-4163-AB27-A8F75B6DED2A.jpeg
    8D7956E1-F0DA-4163-AB27-A8F75B6DED2A.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump? I still have fish hiding in my 180 reef? what can I do to help them survive the transition?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I by no means am an expert here but I read your post and have to say if there’s no signs of disease I’m curious what it could be as well? Have you tried using an acclimation box in the DT and observe the new additions? Perhaps there’s bullying going on from your bigger fish? Doesn’t seem like there would be but you never know. A2C617FC-03B2-40C4-A216-6DA2A37C9092.jpeg Here’s the one I use and it’s great because if there is a problem the fish is easily removed from the DT.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that seems incredibly unfortunate. I don't think sand would matter to a YWG as they are not sand sifters so don't necessarily need sand though they'll feel safer with it. Dragonets are difficult but the other gobies aren't.
I have no advice for the hiding fish other than maybe a mirror that would distract you other fish.
Small shy fish can be a problem later in the lifecycle of a tank so in the future maybe something a bit beefier. Engineer goby, hawkfish, or maybe a lower tank wrasse like a halichoeres would be more able to handle fish like tangs.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can offer nothing but condolences. I just ran 6 disbar anthias through QT. Treated for bacterial infections and parasites along with 30 days copper. Another 30 days observation feeding 4-5 times a day and making sure they are healthy and eating what I feed the display. Last night I decided it was time to add them. As soon as I stuck the colander in the tank (I like them vs a net) they freaked out and one slammed into the glass and died instantly. I was dumbfounded. So now I have 5 :pleading-face:.
I've trended away from smaller fish in my 180 such as gobies, firefish, madarins etc. They never seem to last long. I usually never find them they just disappear.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can offer nothing but condolences. I just ran 6 disbar anthias through QT. Treated for bacterial infections and parasites along with 30 days copper. Another 30 days observation feeding 4-5 times a day and making sure they are healthy and eating what I feed the display. Last night I decided it was time to add them. As soon as I stuck the colander in the tank (I like them vs a net) they freaked out and one slammed into the glass and died instantly. I was dumbfounded. So now I have 5 :pleading-face:.
I've trended away from smaller fish in my 180 such as gobies, firefish, madarins etc. They never seem to last long. I usually never find them they just disappear.
I’m with you I had a Midas blenny in my 180 for several years. I loved that fish such a cool personality and then one day I woke up and poof he was just gone?? Never did find him. It was quite the head scratcher for me.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small shy fish can be a problem later in the lifecycle of a tank so in the future maybe something a bit beefier. Engineer goby, hawkfish, or maybe a lower tank wrasse like a halichoeres would be more able to handle fish like tangs.

I agree. My experience is only 8 years but I moved to larger tanks quickly. Not monster but 150 and 180 gallons. I went with mostly larger fish, tangs, triggers, foxface, rabbit fish and stuff like that. Not giant fish but giants compared to some of the smaller gobies and similar. Now that the tank (down to one large tank now) is matured for lack of a better word and the larger fish are doing very well small fish just do not last. At least not the smaller hiding fish and rock dwellers. Free swimmers like damsels, chromis, wrasse (have a 6 line) seem to do fine. I've seen larger tanks with them but they just do not make it in mine. I tried a pistol shrimp goby pair once and the same thing, they just disappear. :thinking-face:

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I by no means am an expert here but I read your post and have to say if there’s no signs of disease I’m curious what it could be as well? Have you tried using an acclimation box in the DT and observe the new additions? Perhaps there’s bullying going on from your bigger fish? Doesn’t seem like there would be but you never know. A2C617FC-03B2-40C4-A216-6DA2A37C9092.jpeg Here’s the one I use and it’s great because if there is a problem the fish is easily removed from the DT.
Yes I have done acclimation box but only when I introduce largr fish... and yes I understand if I was starting this tank I would put in smaller fish first. I

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that seems incredibly unfortunate. I don't think sand would matter to a YWG as they are not sand sifters so don't necessarily need sand though they'll feel safer with it. Dragonets are difficult but the other gobies aren't.
I have no advice for the hiding fish other than maybe a mirror that would distract you other fish.
Thanks... Yes I think I can only introduce larger fish at this point. Sad b/c I love them all but I can only have 1 tank.
Gone are the days of multiple tanks.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. My experience is only 8 years but I moved to larger tanks quickly. Not monster but 150 and 180 gallons. I went with mostly larger fish, tangs, triggers, foxface, rabbit fish and stuff like that. Not giant fish but giants compared to some of the smaller gobies and similar. Now that the tank (down to one large tank now) is matured for lack of a better word and the larger fish are doing very well small fish just do not last. At least not the smaller hiding fish and rock dwellers. Free swimmers like damsels, chromis, wrasse (have a 6 line) seem to do fine. I've seen larger tanks with them but they just do not make it in mine. I tried a pistol shrimp goby pair once and the same thing, they just disappear. :thinking-face:
Thanks... Yes I think that is the situation... the only one I think might make it is the mandarin goby b/c they are not phased... and I taught him to eat BBS out of a feeder before I put him in the 180 reef. So happy if he makes it...

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon reef w/ blue tang, yellow tang, 2 pygmy angels, 5 chromis, 1 wrasse, starry blenny. For Xmas I wanted to add some new fish and I proposed that if I added a few at the same time they would fair better with the aggression being spread across a few fish.

I QT all new fish together in a 20 gallon w LR and existing filter media got them eating, BBS from a feeder, clam, mysis shrimp, and reef frenzy. They stayed in QT for 3 weeks. Tank was stocked with copods.

I added them to my tank and the fatalities are rising. My procedure for adding is I dimmed the lights in the tank and added them at 6:00pm giving them time to find a hiding spot for the night. tank parameters matched exactly. I moved the rock around that day to help them find hiding places.
* Red Scooter dragonet - died in QT after eating like a pig? No spots nothing wrong with him I could detect?
* Yellow watchman goby 0 died in QT after eating like a pig? No sand in the tank so I think I caused this? No spots nothing wrong with him I could detect.
* Orange spotted goby - DEAD in Display tank. No spots nothing wrong with him I could detect.
* 3 purple firefish - HIDING 1 full day... I fear they will never come out?
* green spotted mandarin - I saw him once alive...

HOW do you ever introduce fish to an existing tank? WHO could I add to my tank successfully? I wanted some fish on the bottom of the tank and different interesting looking fish.

After weeks of work to see them dead is soooo upsetting.

Neptune
Lots of variables here
most recommend 45 days to QT

Does the QT have ample filtration?
Plenty of hiding spots?
Check Ammonia in QT

Mandarins are great at hiding especially in a large tank. perhaps he will turn up.

Perhaps there is a predator in the DT..
Bobbit worm?
Pistol shrimp ?

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of variables here
most recommend 45 days to QT

Does the QT have ample filtration?
Plenty of hiding spots?
Check Ammonia in QT

Mandarins are great at hiding especially in a large tank. perhaps he will turn up.

Perhaps there is a predator in the DT..
Bobbit worm?
Pistol shrimp ?
So I think QT was good....

Hmmm yes I have a pistol shrimp - I thought they were safe and paired with the gobies?

Interesting....

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think QT was good....

Hmmm yes I have a pistol shrimp - I thought they were safe and paired with the gobies?

Interesting....
I have a coral banded shrimp, Ive seen it go after small fish like gobies.

I would imagine a pistol shrimp could do the same.

The ocean is filled with predators.
Often they don’t follow the rules.

It’s just a thought.

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a dumb question, do you have a lid? I lost a clown and a wrasse thru a 1" x 2" opening on my tank by the light mount in different events. I finally found them behind and under the stand after weeks of searching. I'm not sure if they used a nearby power head for a boost or one of the larger fish chased them. It drove me crazy looking for them. Bought a custom lid because of it and I've had no suicides since.

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newb, so don’t listen to me :p but from what I read and concluded:

Tangs, angels, and chromis are all high energy very active fish. What you’re adding are all dragonets, gobies, and mandarin, aka relatively sessile fish in comparison. They might be too stressed from size and activity level differences and did not integrate well.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newb, so don’t listen to me :p but from what I read and concluded:

Tangs, angels, and chromis are all high energy very active fish. What you’re adding are all dragonets, gobies, and mandarin, aka relatively sessile fish in comparison. They might be too stressed from size and activity level differences and did not integrate well.
This is my thought as well. You’re adding a bunch of really small, shy fish to a bunch of very active, aggressive fish (tangs, chromis - jerks). Even pygmy angels and starry blenny can be jerks.

gmyers0203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can offer that my firefish was very very shy for several months. I'd catch him out when I was well away from the tank but as soon as he noticed me move or even another fish swam too close he'd dart back to his hideaway.

Sorry about your others! That can be very discouraging.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back