Fenbendazole For Hydroids

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a small hydroid problem in my Dwarf Seahorse tank, so I plan to purchase some Fenbendazole to get rid of them. How would I go about dosing and treating the tank with this? Thank you!
77FCF415-D403-4690-98DD-48AA98B589FE.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought flubendazole was used against hydroids?

I've never dosed fenbendazole with seahorses, but that material does show odd toxicity in certain species - I've had 100% mortality with darters and flashlight fish. Other people have had issues with catfish and tetras.

Noga gives a fenbendazole dose for flukes at 95mg/gallon of tank water for 12 hours (then change the water). The math will be tough because your product is only 22.2% active ingredient. I *think* it works out to be about 430 milligrams of this product per gallon, but you need to double check my math.

The other issue is, what are the binders/excipients in the product? They make up 78% of the material, and if they are not safe for aquariums, that is a problem.

Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought flubendazole was used against hydroids?

I've never dosed fenbendazole with seahorses, but that material does show odd toxicity in certain species - I've had 100% mortality with darters and flashlight fish. Other people have had issues with catfish and tetras.

Noga gives a fenbendazole dose for flukes at 95mg/gallon of tank water for 12 hours (then change the water). The math will be tough because your product is only 22.2% active ingredient. I *think* it works out to be about 430 milligrams of this product per gallon, but you need to double check my math.

The other issue is, what are the binders/excipients in the product? They make up 78% of the material, and if they are not safe for aquariums, that is a problem.

Jay
I got fenbendazole from Alyssas Savvy Seahorse on her hydroids and dwarf seahorse page.
The math is something I’m a bit confused on as well, which is where I’m stuck haha.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got fenbendazole from Alyssas Savvy Seahorse on her hydroids and dwarf seahorse page.
The math is something I’m a bit confused on as well, which is where I’m stuck haha.
“The recommended dose for controlling Hydroids in fry and Dwarf seahorse systems is 0.1-0.2 mg per gallon (0.1-0.2 mL per 10 gallons). Repeat treatment every other day for a total of 3 treatments. In some cases longer treatments may be necessary such as 5-6 treatments.”

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The recommended dose for controlling Hydroids in fry and Dwarf seahorse systems is 0.1-0.2 mg per gallon (0.1-0.2 mL per 10 gallons). Repeat treatment every other day for a total of 3 treatments. In some cases longer treatments may be necessary such as 5-6 treatments.”

I think you need to contact them, since I cannot tell if they are dosing the fenbendazole based on active ingredients or by the total weight of the product. If you adjust the dose to just the active ingredients as I mentioned, but they are using a dose based on the weight of the powder with the additives, you'll end up with an over-dose.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back