Filefish with spot on skin

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. Are bacterial infections the "new velvet"? o_O They seem to be everywhere right now; I wonder if some nasty bacterial disease is making it's way thru the wholesalers' tanks.

We had a bout with it at the store recently as well. Lost quite a few fish and I couldn't do much for them since it was so fast. It finally leveled off, which really means the strongest are left. I plan to bleach the whole system again as soon as we sell off a little more fish. A good reset is what we need.

OP
OP
Breadman03

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, but I haven't been able to successfully add much to my tank in almost a year. It seems that everything I've sourced locally just dies.

It's to the point where I'm going to send a water sample off to Triton just for reassurance that my testing is reasonably accurate.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a bout with it at the store recently as well. Lost quite a few fish and I couldn't do much for them since it was so fast. It finally leveled off, which really means the strongest are left. I plan to bleach the whole system again as soon as we sell off a little more fish. A good reset is what we need.

A LFS I advise has been losing anthias left & right. They sent me pics & insisted it was Uronema (they do have that in their system - can't keep chromis); but then a local university scope ID it as Aeromonas hydrophila. Which is odd because that is primarily a FW bacterium (or so I thought). So be careful when handling those fish, because humans can become infected with Aeromonas. :eek:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. Are bacterial infections the "new velvet"? o_O They seem to be everywhere right now; I wonder if some nasty bacterial disease is making it's way thru the wholesalers' tanks.
I was wondering the same thing as it seems to be a real problem-- I feel like we see 5-10x the infections around here than usual. Between that and velvet which is several orders of magnitude more common now, these are trying times to buy fish if you don't qt and treat!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, but I haven't been able to successfully add much to my tank in almost a year. It seems that everything I've sourced locally just dies.

It's to the point where I'm going to send a water sample off to Triton just for reassurance that my testing is reasonably accurate.
Online vendors aren't a whole lot better, but they do remove one more step where they can be exposed to disease and illness.

OP
OP
Breadman03

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing as it seems to be a real problem-- I feel like we see 5-10x the infections around here than usual. Between that and velvet which is several orders of magnitude more common now, these are trying times to buy fish if you don't qt and treat!

It's nice knowing that whatever it was isn't in my display. I suppose I'll be tearing down my QT to sterilize it, however.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice knowing that whatever it was isn't in my display. I suppose I'll be tearing down my QT to sterilize it, however.
Good move!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back