Filling up Tank for First Time (90+Gal)

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Ill be getting a tank in the near future and Ive been wondering if people have tips on filling up for the first time. I am going to order an RO/DI system but wondering how you guys go about filling up larger tanks. I'm looking at getting a 90 or 120. Do you just produce the RO/DI ahead of time in large buckets?

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for large water fills I hit target and get 60+ gallons of there market pantry water. I think that's the brand. then before I mix the salt I test each one for any contaminates. so far it's all came out to 0. I use a tds meter to test the water. so far it comes out to 0 on every gallon. for top offs I use a RODI. 60 gal. is a little bit to much for the RODI I have so I just bought the water. yes have I had problems cycling the tank yes. but that was my fault. I'm back on track with the tank and have Carolina algea growing and 4 fish and a very small CUC. looking to add more of a CUC in the near future in a couple weeks. after I pay some much needed bills that were unexpected.

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered buying water like that but I figured I'm going to be spending that much anyway I might as well just buy the RODI system so I can produce it myself

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was filling my 90 again, I would use my 32 gal Brute trash can, add submersible pump and use vinyl tubing to pump the RODI (from garage where RODI unit is) to tank. :)

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS 75 gpd 6 stage RODI. I use 44 gallon Brute Trash Cans. I have one for RODI. One for mixing saltwater and one for siphoning water from the tank during water changes. I have a pump with a flexible hose that I use to pump water from RODI reservoir to saltwater mixing can and from there to the tank. I am lucky to have hard floors so my cans are on casters and I just wheel them around. My aquarium is a 300 gallon. I just made water, mixed it and filled it taking about 4 days. I think my RODI system is rated pretty accurately as far as production goes. I have the cheap little shut off float valve which is well worth it. Floods are no fun. Also, my water pressure is only about 60-65 psi and that is fine. For a 90 or 120 gallon tank, you could use the 30 gallon Brute trash cans. My basic water change is about 14%. With a 120 and a 30 gallon, you could get a 20%+ water change.

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS 75 gpd 6 stage RODI. I use 44 gallon Brute Trash Cans. I have one for RODI. One for mixing saltwater and one for siphoning water from the tank during water changes. I have a pump with a flexible hose that I use to pump water from RODI reservoir to saltwater mixing can and from there to the tank. I am lucky to have hard floors so my cans are on casters and I just wheel them around. My aquarium is a 300 gallon. I just made water, mixed it and filled it taking about 4 days. I think my RODI system is rated pretty accurately as far as production goes. I have the cheap little shut off float valve which is well worth it. Floods are no fun. Also, my water pressure is only about 60-65 psi and that is fine. For a 90 or 120 gallon tank, you could use the 30 gallon Brute trash cans. My basic water change is about 14%. With a 120 and a 30 gallon, you could get a 20%+ water change.
How long does it take for salt to fully mix in a 44g trash can? I'm completely new to this and will most likely be using the method you described to fill a 75g DT and a CRYS30S sump. I won't be able to mix a all the water I want in one go for my first fill. For future water changes, I should be able to handle things easily. But for the first fill, how long will it take to mix properly using multiple batches?

Additionally, how do you make sure you're at the same readings for multiple batches? Are there any major complications that will arise from being slightly off?

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
44 gallon brute can works great. That's what I use for my 75 which is about 80 gallons total water volume

If I'm not mistaken for the initial fill you can just run the rodi straight into the tank then mix in the salt but what do I know

That was my first thought, but I was concerned about mixing the salinity correctly in subsequent fills. I'm assuming you could put RODI water in the tank, filled just to below the overflow? Would running the water through the sump and return pump help mix?

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R :) congratulations on your purchase of your tank! I look forward to seeing your build thread when you get it up and going. I know you were asking about how to fill the tank for the first time and it seems like some people have you covered on that I had them fill money when they came to set up the tank and stand but little words of advice that may help you in your future patience patience and more patience will get you really far in this Hobby and knowledge doing your research asking questions there are a lot of really kind people here that are willing to share their successes and their failures with you so you don't make the same mistakes we did. I wish you the best of luck on your new Journey and your new addiction;)

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled my 90 last week. I have a BRS 150 RODI system hat fills a 100 gallon storage tank in my garage. Then i use a pump to pump it into a brute trash can mix the salt and then pump it onto the tank. It's cycling now
+1.

For wc I also have the 150 GPD rodi. Think it took me about 5 hours to fill the brute. Heated it to temp then added salt and tested and adjusted. I am using blue bucket red sea and 1/2 cup per gallon is pretty spot on with 1.025-1.026

I have a 300w eheim jager heater and a hydor power head in the brute to heat and mix. Salt dissolves super fast

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back