Filter Sock Alternative

ReeferDude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 and like most people I've become tired of cleaning filter socks. As a result, I spent some time searching then internet for inspiration and came up with an alternative that works pretty well using a filter pad. So, here is what I came up with and the steps I used to make it:

1. I cut the sock portion off a filter sock so I ended up with the plastic ring.

2. I searched the Dollar Tree store, Walmart, and any other store I could think of that might have a plastic container to fit the plastic ring. I finally found a liter bottle at a store call Tap Plastic.

3. I cut the top portion of the bottle off and placed the ring around the top of the bottle. I used silicone to glue the two pieces of plastic together (inside top and outside).

4. I then marked a series of holes approx. 1/2" up from the bottom of the bottle, all around the bottle. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled the holes in approx. 1" segments around the circumference. You may need more or less holes, or bigger, depending on your flow. I got lucky and my initial pattern worked great without raising or lowering my sump water height.

5. Once the silicone is dry and the holes are drilled, then I cut a piece of filter pad to fit inside the bottle. You can fill it as full as you'd like. I chose to use a single layer on the outside edge so the water can flow down into the bottle, then though the floss and out the holes.

6. You could make two and simple pull one out and insert another with a clean filter pad or just pull the dirty pad out and replace with clean pad. Easy Peezy, Lemon Squezzy, no filter sock to clean. So far its been three days and everything it working great. I figure if I can get a week out of a filter pad it will be worth it.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 and like most people I've become tired of cleaning filter socks. As a result, I spent some time searching then internet for inspiration and came up with an alternative that works pretty well using a filter pad. So, here is what I came up with and the steps I used to make it:

1. I cut the sock portion off a filter sock so I ended up with the plastic ring.

2. I searched the Dollar Tree store, Walmart, and any other store I could think of that might have a plastic container to fit the plastic ring. I finally found a liter bottle at a store call Tap Plastic.

3. I cut the top portion of the bottle off and placed the ring around the top of the bottle. I used silicone to glue the two pieces of plastic together (inside top and outside).

4. I then marked a series of holes approx. 1/2" up from the bottom of the bottle, all around the bottle. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled the holes in approx. 1" segments around the circumference. You may need more or less holes, or bigger, depending on your flow. I got lucky and my initial pattern worked great without raising or lowering my sump water height.

5. Once the silicone is dry and the holes are drilled, then I cut a piece of filter pad to fit inside the bottle. You can fill it as full as you'd like. I chose to use a single layer on the outside edge so the water can flow down into the bottle, then though the floss and out the holes.

6. You could make two and simple pull one out and insert another with a clean filter pad or just pull the dirty pad out and replace with clean pad. Easy Peezy, Lemon Squezzy, no filter sock to clean. So far its been three days and everything it working great. I figure if I can get a week out of a filter pad it will be worth it.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg
Ok Yea!! That is just Great!

Thank you!

OP
OP
R

ReeferDude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it better then a filter sock? If you do not clean it every few days, it just becomes a nitrate factory.
Never said it was better.
How is it better then a filter sock? If you do not clean it every few days, it just becomes a nitrate factory.
Never said it was better. I just got tired of cleaning filter socks. I don't think you ever really get them clean. I don't particularly like using bleach, so a filter pad is my solution. I think my solution cleans better, but that a matter of opinion. Really what matters is what works best for you. If you don't mind changing and cleaning filter socks every couple days then great. But if you don't, then anything that you do is better than have a dirty filter sock.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea and execution. I just use the mesh socks when I need to use a sock. They rinse clean in a minute in the sink.

Tarpongriller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 7 inch essopps sock that I will create one of these. I just
Ordered 10 feet of filter pad from pinky filters on amazon. $9.99

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really cool. I never thought of doing t hat. Wonder if i can find something around me that will work the same. I'd order it from the website but its 11$ to ship a dollar item.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 7 inch essopps sock that I will create one of these. I just
Ordered 10 feet of filter pad from pinky filters on amazon. $9.99

If you get this done, post what type of cup you used to fabricate this. I've got 7" socks as well, just looking for the appropriate cup to make one of these.

OP
OP
R

ReeferDude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?
I've been using mine for a couple of weeks. I made two so when the time comes, I pull out the dirty one and put a clean one in. Then all I have to do is throw the dirty filter pad away, rinse the holder and put in a clean filter pad...then its ready to go. The whole process takes me minutes whereas before I would spend 15-20 minutes with rinsing the dirty sock out with the hose. I'm getting 6-7 days per filter pad which is a couple days more that I got with a sock.

edsbeaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just what I'm looking for. I'm so tired of using the red sea filter socks for my red sea 250. They clog so quickly, and it's time consuming to wash the socks that never seem to get clean anyway. I was looking for a good way to use disposable filter floss. It's cheap and easy to replace every few days. So happy!!! Thank you for this great diy project!!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back