Filter Sock vs Rollermat

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a few other threads that debate whether filter socks or roller mats are better.

I wanted to specifically ask this in the context of larger tank owners.

1. What size tank do you own (gallons)
2. What kind of tank is is (FOWLR, SPS, LPS, Softie, Mixed)
3. What do you use (filter sock, roller mat)
4. Why you like what you use

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
270g
FOWLR
Roller mat
I don't have time/make time or forget to change out socks. That said, my tank seems to go through roller mats fast. I installed my first set (I run two on my tank) in late July and I am close to needing to install my 3rd set now. At $70 a set, that is adding up fast. I plan to program them via the Apex to only power on for certain times during the day. That will slow down how fast I go through them, but also reduce their effectiveness.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size: 250 gallons

Tank type: Mixed reef (mainly fish and SPS corals)

Filter socks or roller mats: Filter socks

Why filter socks? Because it’s cheap and easy to maintain without worrying about technicalities that could fail. I like to keep my system extremely simple. I use 100 micron socks and stick them in the washer for 25 minutes without soap nor bleach when they are dirty.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a few other threads that debate whether filter socks or roller mats are better.

I wanted to specifically ask this in the context of larger tank owners.

1. What size tank do you own (gallons)
2. What kind of tank is is (FOWLR, SPS, LPS, Softie, Mixed)
3. What do you use (filter sock, roller mat)
4. Why you like what you use
Might be worth adding in the question what micron size do you use, as comparing a 300micron sock to a 20 micron filter roller wouldn’t be a fair comparison.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
150 DT
Mixed Reef
Roller Mat
Easy & Convenient For Me

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
270g
FOWLR
Roller mat
I don't have time/make time or forget to change out socks. That said, my tank seems to go through roller mats fast. I installed my first set (I run two on my tank) in late July and I am close to needing to install my 3rd set now. At $70 a set, that is adding up fast. I plan to program them via the Apex to only power on for certain times during the day. That will slow down how fast I go through them, but also reduce their effectiveness.

I think someone posted that he washes and reuse old mats. Mentioned it took him 20 minutes to re roll the mat.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're so 80s. lol
Gah! It’s true though. I don’t even have an APEX…

I test everything by hand. I’m really old school…and the worst part is that I’m so young! I should be leading by example.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What size tank do you own (gallons)--- 150 Gallon
2. What kind of tank is is (FOWLR, SPS, LPS, Softie, Mixed)--- Mixed
3. What do you use (filter sock, roller mat)---Roller Mat
4. Why you like what you use--- Love it and will never go back. Quick, easy.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. 180-gallon DT (2) 34-gallon Sumps
2. Mixed
3. both sumps have roller mats
4. busy life, roller mats cut down on maintenance as you don't have to change them every couple days. Once tuned they last for a good amount of time so the cost to buy new mats every couple months is low. For me they help keep nutrients down as they roll quicker then I was changing socks. I don't have to wash anything anymore. I could probably go on and on, but for my tank and life style roller mats are ideal.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
340 display, 40g frag tank, 40 g sump
I use 3 -7" 200 micron filter socks and change them out about every 2 weeks. I've looked into roller mats but (a) it would be hard to fit one in my sump and (b) from what I'm reading it may not be much of a cost savings. Still, I'm considering buying one and modifying it to fit.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
340 display, 40g frag tank, 40 g sump
I use 3 -7" 200 micron filter socks and change them out about every 2 weeks. I've looked into roller mats but (a) it would be hard to fit one in my sump and (b) from what I'm reading it may not be much of a cost savings. Still, I'm considering buying one and modifying it to fit.

Roller mats arent really meant to be "cost saving," its Time saving. For those of us that have busy lives, work long hours, etc, its one less thing to have to remember ;)

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Roller mats arent really meant to be "cost saving," its Time saving. For those of us that have busy lives, work long hours, etc, its one less thing to have to remember ;)
I'm one of those that work long hours and have busy lives, but changing three socks takes me less than 5 minutes and gives me a chance to look at the sump and make sure everything's operating properly. While I love me some good reef gadgets, it wouldn't make sense to spend the hours and money required to modify a roller mat in order to save a few minutes a month. That said, I'll probably have one built into the next sump I buy.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently we only make a 4" sock. We might make a 7" version in the future, but this will require new tooling and a lot of time. For a short term solution we created an adapter for our 4” filters. It obviously wouldn't provide the capacity of the 7", but it would provide an option for systems with light bio loads. We are testing the prototypes now. Let me know if you have any other questions.

IMG_3382.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 131 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back