----Filter Socks----

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
Wanted to start a topic I know has been discussed before.
How is everyone cleaning there filters socks?
I take them all and put in the washing machine add about a half cup of bleach and run on sanitary cycle. Then run another cycle without adding any bleach to rinse properly.
I know you can use hydrogen peroxide I am just unsure if you can use it the way I use bleach and just pour it into a wash cycle?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just make them for .13 cents a piece and toss them.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wash mine inside out with a little bleach then out in the sun and air to dry. As for bleach only bleaching the detritus? Before I wash them the water doesn't pass thru after a wash the water does. I suppose the actual washing removes and the bleach just whitens it ? I would think the washing removes the bleach sanitizes. That would be an easy experiment. I think I'll try and see.

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take them outside and use a hose to get as much gunk out as possible; turn inside and repeat. I then soak them in water in bleach for a day, then rinse with and soak in water with some prime then hang them up to air dry. Since I purchased a Foxface and feeding Nori the amount of seaweed bits caught by the filter sock makes cleaning more tedious. I ordered some mesh filters to see how that works.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
Wanted to start a topic I know has been discussed before.
How is everyone cleaning there filters socks?
I take them all and put in the washing machine add about a half cup of bleach and run on sanitary cycle. Then run another cycle without adding any bleach to rinse properly.
I know you can use hydrogen peroxide I am just unsure if you can use it the way I use bleach and just pour it into a wash cycle?
I soak mine in a bucket with a little bleach until i have a few then put them in the washer for 2 cycles, then rinse them in ro water

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak mine in a bucket with a little bleach until i have a few then put them in the washer for 2 cycles, then rinse them in ro water
I just turn mine inside out, rinse them with hot water and hang them out to dry. Nothing fancy and it seems to work fine. No adverse effects on the DT. I'm considering using lava rock as a replacement in the new build. It's cheap and I can just throw it out after it plugs up. Comments?

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same except I turn them inside out before washing. I did notice after about 3-5 washes they seemed to clog up about a day sooner than new socks.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do mine immediately after I take them out of the tank and they seem to wash up pretty good. Question is, what might work equally well but not need changing as frequently. That's why I'm toying with the idea of using lava rock instead of socks. My new build would allow for about 3 cubic feet of rock and the return water would be forced thru it. As long as it didn't have a negative effect, I think it would filter quite well. I could make 2 compartments and replace or cycle each compartment on a 2 week cycle. That would be way less maintenance than my socks. What do you think?

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have found that helps is putting a sponge like a square piece over the filter socks that helps to catch a lot before going in. And easier to rinse off

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have found that helps is putting a sponge like a square piece over the filter socks that helps to catch a lot before going in. And easier to rinse off

Do you have a picture of this? I'm curious where exactly the sponge is placed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back