My 300G project.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all... I have been planning an upgrade from my 100G (60Lx18Wx20H) for a while now as it's grown in and two of my fish are HUGE now and really need a larger tank. So I found a 240G (96Lx24Wx24H) last summer which when I got it home it and cleaned up it had a ton of crazing everywhere and one of the corner overflow seams was busted... and it had holes drilled in it in weird places.. The more I worked on cleaning it up the less I liked the idea of using. I did get Weldon16 and was going to dowel some of the seams but never got around to it.. work went crazy and I was traveling a lot to see my dad... anyways.. my plan was to build a stand this spring and fix the seams and get it going... Because I'm crazy and my gears were turning, I jumped on CL just to see if anything better was out there.. not even planning on buying anything right now, but just putting feelers out. BAM, a killer 300G full setup posted 14mins ago.. Perfect tank dimensions, 96L x 30W x 23H, long wide and not too high.. full setup with loads of good gear at a great price. So long story short, it's all here now. Picked up in the pouring rain last weekend. List of what I got:

Acrylic 300 gallon tank 96L x 30W x 23H w/ 3/4" acrylic. (center overflow, single 2" drain, dual 1" returns)
33" stand in good shape - but needs side panel and some bottom trim.
Reef Octopus Elite 220-int (older one with red controller)
Apex controller (gen1) with w/ Energy Bar 8 and Vortech WXM,
2x Vortech MP60s with extra wet side and extra driver.
2x Maxspect Gyre XF350 with one controller.
2x dosers with BRS chems.
BRS external reactor with pump and two containers.
36"X12"X12" acrylic sump (not going to use this - shopping sumps)
2x 44" Reef Breeders LED programmable LED lights with custom wood hanging brackets,
150 lbs Tonga / Fiji branching LR
5 stage RODI filter.

The tank is in beautiful shape, no crazing, no significant scratches, just beautiful thicc acrylic. All the gear needed/needs a good cleaning but I got a pretty nice lot for 3 grand. The sump he had was glass and was behind the tank and it was a mess. I opted out on that and figure I will buy a new sump. So I am shopping around for those, maybe one with a fuge and ato built in. idk, I might do a separate fuge.. I need a larger skimmer section due to the elite 220-int has a 16.5″ x 12.2″ footprint and a large enough end section for dual return pumps.

For the tank, I am planning a shallow sandbed with two scapes, my old tank rocks and such on the left side and the new LR on the right side and have a little beach between the two. LPS heavy on the right.. and def getting a nem too. So glad I found a 30" W tank, it's almost twice as wide as my current.. Really looking forward to scaping and such. I am probably about a month away from being able to fill this though - so I have some time to think about how I want to do this - but I am super excited. So many fish options now. Anyways I'll post updates when I have them. Here are a few photos.

This was the ad:
300g_tank_p2.jpg

I'll probably hang the lights the way I do them on my 100G now.. but a nice wooden contraption if I want to use it I guess.

968673_IMG_3685.jpeg

The rain stopped when I got back to my place, but the pickup was SO WET.. and the drive down the 405 in pouring rain and lots of LA traffic.. lol, super fun!

968674_IMG_3699.jpeg

getting to this part made it all worth it.
968675_IMG_3700.jpeg

Kudos to my friends who really came through helping me move this. I am still sore btw.. lol!

So there it is.. I've been wanting a 300G for 30 years... since my 55G corner pent in the 90s. and my sailfin has been waiting for this for over a year... But she's still able to navigate all of the caves and back area still.. but she is HUGE now and it's super time to move her and the foxface, who is also huge.. It'll be end of March I think before I am ready to move stuff but at least the ball is really rolling now.

Oh and I am on a cement slab with no sub-floring. whew!

Happy reefing all!

Edit: LR curing..
IMG_3733.jpeg

After cleaning and some Brillianize

IMG_3731.jpeg

Last edited:

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty! I love my 300! will be lots of fun for you, and for us, to watch it grow into something beautiful

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I am super excited to get this setup... I'm slowly making progress with gathering the parts I need. I really wasn't ready for this but had to jump on it so I am being really patient in setting it up. Cleaning and testing everything. I got a new bulkhead gasket and cleaned that area all up.

I planned out my plumbing and still sorting out my sump. The Octopus Elite 220-int has a very large footprint (17.5x12.5) and I want an ATO built in too.. IceCap has a 36XL that looks nice but I also want 50gallon capacity in the event my returns stop working (power outage or equipment failure).. There's the IceCap 48XL but I can't fit it through the doors or the back without removing wood.. it's a huge box like thing, it's massive/wide and I would rather a longer sump, not a big square thing. So the search continues..

I am going to run dual DC return pumps with a 1500VA UPS battery backup powering each. The same DC 2300gph pump I am using now x2. That'll give me a up to four hours of sump return flow during a power outage...

I am curing all the LR still... wow it created a layer of gel like bacteria which I had to skim off the top. I am going to pull it all out in a couple weeks and check it, refresh the water in the barrel with water from my tank. I'll post some photos of the rocks when I do that... one of the rocks is almost three feet long. I'll also be sure to post photos of other progress when I have photo worthy things to share.

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I found your old thread where you had just introduced your foxface with a sailfin tang. So heartbreaking to read the outcome but it sounds like they were best buddies for a long time at least. We have a magnificent fox face who has been best pals with a male Blonde Naso tang since being introduced (about 2 years ago) and it is a lovely pairing to witness. They are almost always together as you (and others) were discussing on that original thread - I was trying to find out how to sex them but apparently there is no reliable way apart from when a natural pairing occurs as a result of introducing multiple rabbit fish at the same time. I searched your recent posts to try and find out how your pairing turned out. So sorry for your loss!

How is your new build going? Sounds like an exciting upgrade and you scored all that equipment at a really good price!

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I @AstroMelly ! I have updates but life is been so crazy of late I haven't had time to compose a proper post with my 300G progress. My foxface and sailfin are tolerant of each other now days.. Both fish have outgrown the 100G but are doing ok as I feed the tank a LOT.. seems to keep everyone happy. Also keeping clear bits of the tank clean seems to help lower stress a lot as well. I also added a blue tang and six line wrasse which both swim in the water column a lot and it seemed to get the other fish less shy.. I am hoping once in the 300G they will pal up again but who knows. I am still working on how I want to do the scape etc..

Regardless I am very close to finishing the 300G and I should be able to fill beginning of May.. I got my sump and a new skimmer as the old one was just too big for most sumps.. I wanted something more compact yet powerful. I am just finishing up the plumbing now and I have 150lbs of LR curing in a barrel. I'll post photos soon!!

Last edited:

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I @AstroMelly ! I have updates but life is been so crazy of late I haven't had time to compose a proper post with my 300G progress. My foxface and sailfin are tolerant of each other now days.. Both fish have outgrown the 100G but are doing ok as I feed the tank a LOT.. seems to keep everyone happy. Also keeping clear bits of the tank clean seems to help lower stress a lot as well. I also added a blue tang and six line wrasse which both swim in the water column a lot and it seemed to get the other fish less shy.. I am hoping once in the 300G they will pal up again but who knows. I am still working on how I want to do the scape etc..

Regardless I am very close to finishing the 300G and I should be able to fill beginning of May.. I got my sump and a new skimmer as the old one was just too big for most sumps.. I wanted something more compact yet powerful. I am just finishing up the plumbing now and I have 150lbs of LR curing in a barrel. I'll post photos soon!!
Sounds good - I liked the way it looked next to the 100g - are you keeping the 100?

I must have got it wrong - I thought you lost your original foxface from 2021 - maybe you did an replaced it?

Good luck with the build I will be following along!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back