Acrylic or glass?

Joeype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good evening,

I'm looking to upgrade from a 180g to a 300g. My 180 is a glass bow front which I'm very happy with. I want to upgrade to a 300g and the one I have my eye on is acrylic. I have never owned an acrylic tank. As with any set up there's pro and cons. Can anyone share their experiences with an acrylic tank such as cleaning/scratching glass..ect ect. Thank you!!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy you’re opening Pandora’s box with this question lol. Seriously I upgraded to a 360 gallon from Fish Tanks Direct the actual aquarium brand is Tsunami. Yes acrylic scratches easier than glass but I think it’s blown out of proportion IMO. Acrylic is lighter and more importantly for me the top of the tank is completely covered due to the eurobracing and polycarbonate lids so I don’t stress on my fish or eel going carpet surfacing. I also don’t have to stress on silicone seams like I would on a 3 foot wide glass tank. Don’t get me wrong I think both have their place for hobbyists just depends on what your goals are. I do believe acrylic really does shine though when getting into the larger tanks like you’re looking to do!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 gallon is acrylic. Sure I’ve got a few small scratches here but they’re honestly really hard to see. One big advantage of acrylic is that the tank will weigh about half of what a glass one would. So if weight is a concern that could be a consideration. I personally would get another acrylic , especially if going larger.

OP
OP
Joeype

Joeype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh boy you’re opening Pandora’s box with this question lol. Seriously I upgraded to a 360 gallon from Fish Tanks Direct the actual aquarium brand is Tsunami. Yes acrylic scratches easier than glass but I think it’s blown out of proportion IMO. Acrylic is lighter and more importantly for me the top of the tank is completely covered due to the eurobracing and polycarbonate lids so I don’t stress on my fish or eel going carpet surfacing. I also don’t have to stress on silicone seams like I would on a 3 foot wide glass tank. Don’t get me wrong I think both have their place for hobbyists just depends on what your goals are. I do believe acrylic really does shine though when getting into the larger tanks like you’re looking to do!
That's great information and I know it's a very debated topic. I love my glass 180, but a 300g the weight alone becomes an issue. Obviously not with the acrylic tank. I just want to make sure I get as much information before making the purchase. It is a used and older acrylic tank but in very nice shape. Ughhh!!!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great information and I know it's a very debated topic. I love my glass 180, but a 300g the weight alone becomes an issue. Obviously not with the acrylic tank. I just want to make sure I get as much information before making the purchase. It is a used and older acrylic tank but in very nice shape. Ughhh!!!
If it’s in good shape like you say where you don’t need to spend months buffing it out then I would say go for it. Buying a used acrylic tank will save you lots of $$$

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join my club — I’m upgrading from a 175g Oceanic bow front (carpet mixed tank) to a 360g Advanced Acrylics. The old glass tank is approaching 20 years old and I’m concerned. Besides, I got some scratches that I cannot get out. Therefore, I’m going with acrylics this time. If I scratch it again, at least I can remove it.

Outside of weight (not that you will move often) the clarity is awesome! This tank was polished yesterday. You can check out my build thread.

Indeed another glass vs acrylics debate. I have both and happy with both!

Good luck with your build.

Attachments

• IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7959.jpeg
    IMG_7959.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 102

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join my club — I’m upgrading from a 175g Oceanic bow front (carpet mixed tank) to a 360g Advanced Acrylics. The old glass tank is approaching 20 years old and I’m concerned. Besides, I got some scratches that I cannot get out. Therefore, I’m going with acrylics this time. If I scratch it again, at least I can remove it.

Outside of weight (not that you will move often) the clarity is awesome! This tank was polished yesterday. You can check out my build thread.

Digging that external overflow! Kind of regret not doing that with mine.

OP
OP
Joeype

Joeype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Beautiful tank. Ughhh I think I have to go for this. What's a fair price for a 300g acrylic about 20yrs old and in nice shape. It has the stand and cover. He's asking $2500, im thinking $1500 but I just want to be fair.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Ughhh I think I have to go for this. What's a fair price for a 300g acrylic about 20yrs old and in nice shape. It has the stand and cover. He's asking $2500, im thinking $1500 but I just want to be fair.
Thanks. I bought mine used but something to consider: going to cost almost $1k (depending on condition) to restore it so factor that into your total cost. You can check online and compare vs a 20yo tank. Good luck!

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Acrylic easily scratches… I didn’t want to have that risk. Absolutely hates the acrylic Frag tank I had for that very reason.

Glass is really heavy! But can use the mag scraper to easily clean and never worry about scratching

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Countless glass v acrylic threads over the years, all of which make the same points, so I've really nothing new to add. What I would say is that $2,500 for a 20 year old tank seems ridiculous to me. I’m not even sure I’d want one that old even for free. You’d need to see it in person. Any yellowing, crazing, seam damage …..

Last edited:

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Joeype I will sell you a brand new never used 300g glass aquarium way cheaper than $2500. Where you located?

OP
OP
Joeype

Joeype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Joeype I will sell you a brand new never used 300g glass aquarium way cheaper than $2500. Where you located?

Chicago

OP
OP
Joeype

Joeype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Countless glass v acrylic threads over the years, all of which make the same points, so Ive really nothing new to add. What would say is that $2,500 for a 20 year old tank seems ridiculous to me. I’m not even sure I’d want one that old even for free. You’d need to see it in person. Any yellowing, crazing, seam damage …..
Thank you, definitely a concern.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While silicone seams can/will fail so can acrylic seams, gotta check those too. I got a 300g acrylic tank years ago for free, spent $100-150 on refinishing it and about 30hrs of labor no where near $1k. It was beautiful when I was done and it wasnt hard to do just took my time. The nice thing was I was able to move it around myself. To bad the ex wouldn't let me set it up. Sold it for $700.
Acrylic is lighter and clearer then glass. Judging by how messed up this thing was when I got, it scratching is a real concern.

OP
OP
Joeype

Joeype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While silicone seams can/will fail so can acrylic seams, gotta check those too. I got a 300g acrylic tank years ago for free, spent $100-150 on refinishing it and about 30hrs of labor no where near $1k. It was beautiful when I was done and it wasnt hard to do just took my time. The nice thing was I was able to move it around myself. To bad the ex wouldn't let me set it up. Sold it for $700.
Acrylic is lighter and clearer then glass. Judging by how messed up this thing was when I got, it scratching is a real concern.
Great info, I'm very concerned with what you mentioned. dang, dang and dang..lol

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

I'm looking to upgrade from a 180g to a 300g. My 180 is a glass bow front which I'm very happy with. I want to upgrade to a 300g and the one I have my eye on is acrylic. I have never owned an acrylic tank. As with any set up there's pro and cons. Can anyone share their experiences with an acrylic tank such as cleaning/scratching glass..ect ect. Thank you!!
I have a 500 gallon acrylic aq. for the last 20 years. Biggest pro is acrylic seams never need to be resealed, glass seams are not permanent. Acrylic is perfectly clear, not all glass is. Acrylic can be drilled if need be. Lighter weight.
Many more advantages.

Only one con: It scratches more easily so avoid fish with beaks, like puffers. However, while it scratches easier the scratches are easy to buff out and can be done without removing fish or water using underwater sandpaper.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside as I didn't see it mentioned here but low iron glass, starfire, other name, can, and will, scratch if the hobbyist isn't careful. The difference between a glass scratch and one in acrylic is that the acrylic can be repaired. To include full of water, corals, and fish.

With both we have to be careful. Patience is key.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back