Glass or acrylic

tito_805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What to get a bigger tank but not sure what to go with. Advanced acrylic has a 46 gallon tank i like but I’m worried about scratching it. On the other had I like the Fiji cube 43 gallon ext overflow tank aswell but I’ve seen bad reviews on them. Need help deciding.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What to get a bigger tank but not sure what to go with. Advanced acrylic has a 46 gallon tank i like but I’m worried about scratching it. On the other had I like the Fiji cube 43 gallon ext overflow tank aswell but I’ve seen bad reviews on them. Need help deciding.
I have a glass 29 gallon mutiple scratches just over a year old.

I couldn't imagine the scratches on an acrylic the same size.

That being said, if I went with a large tank it would have to be acrylic.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always vote glass. I have yet to scratch a glass tank, there are some algae's that are too hard to clean off without a razor sometimes, and glass is nearly distortion free (unless bowfront) whereas I can see every warble and distortion in an acrylic tank and it makes my head hurt.

OP
OP
T

tito_805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always vote glass. I have yet to scratch a glass tank, there are some algae's that are too hard to clean off without a razor sometimes, and glass is nearly distortion free (unless bowfront) whereas I can see every warble and distortion in an acrylic tank and it makes my head hurt.
if I go with glass it’s hard to find a tank with the dimensions I’m looking for plus they really expensive, I thought about jst drilling into a standard 40L but I’ve never drilled into glass only metal.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tanks would be good, I like the Advanced acrylic 46 gal. better, I had a 55 gal Pro Clear acrylic cylinder running over ten years, and I never had scratches, I took good care of it, I used acrylic cleaner and protector on the outside, and I used a white non scratch scrub pay on the inside, the tank is in storage now from my move, but I will be setting it up again, I liked the tank a lot because acrylic is much lighter than glass, and it is much clearer.

OP
OP
T

tito_805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tanks would be good, I like the Advanced acrylic 46 gal. better, I had a 55 gal Pro Clear acrylic cylinder running over ten years, and I never had scratches, I took good care of it, I used acrylic cleaner and protector on the outside, and I used a white non scratch scrub pay on the inside, the tank is in storage now from my move, but I will be setting it up again, I liked the tank a lot because acrylic is much lighter than glass, and it is much clearer.
Buy chance have u used the mighty magnet ?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for roughly 40x20x15
Hmm, that's sort of shallow, it's nearing frag tank depths. Any particular reason? My preferred tank size in this class is 36 x 24 x 24 (90 Gallons) because it's really versatile. Deeper tanks allow you to run a mixed reef pretty easily. Shallow tanks you generally have to choose between SPS dom or LPS dom.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tanks would be good, I like the Advanced acrylic 46 gal. better, I had a 55 gal Pro Clear acrylic cylinder with sump running over ten years, and I never had scratches, I took good care of it, I used acrylic cleaner and protector on the outside, and I used a white non scratch scrub pay on the inside, the tank is in storage now from my move, but I will be setting it up again, I liked the tank a lot because acrylic is much lighter than glass, and it is much clearer.

No I have not used any magnet, I used to use Fritze acrylic cleaner and polish on the outside, and it puts Coats on the acrylic making it harder to scratch, and I think the product is still around today. I would like to find out if your mighty magnet would work and be safe on the inside.

OP
OP
T

tito_805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, that's sort of shallow, it's nearing frag tank depths. Any particular reason? My preferred tank size in this class is 36 x 24 x 24 (90 Gallons) because it's really versatile. Deeper tanks allow you to run a mixed reef pretty easily. Shallow tanks you generally have to choose between SPS dom or LPS dom.
Yeah it is on the shallow side, I want a lagoon style tank. Right now I got a softy tank and I want to jst expand on it. I love zoas and gsp, also the pulsating xeina.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is on the shallow side, I want a lagoon style tank. Right now I got a softy tank and I want to jst expand on it. I love zoas and gsp, also the pulsating xeina.
nothing wrong with that, I was just curious :) That's the cool thing about this hobby, everyone can find a lane that they like!

OP
OP
T

tito_805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing wrong with that, I was just curious :) That's the cool thing about this hobby, everyone can find a lane that they like!
This is the one I’m currently leaning towards the dimensions are 40x18x15. And I agree this hobby is amazing and has a wide range of options.

Attachments

• IMG_1762.png
    IMG_1762.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1763.png
    IMG_1763.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 20

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I’m currently leaning towards the dimensions are 40x18x15. And I agree this hobby is amazing and has a wide range of options.
I like it that it has filter socks on both sides, I just like built in filter socks on my aquariums.

fltt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 240g advanced acrylic, it has been setup for 3 years love it. The mighty magnet (not cheap) but works great, just stay away from the sand. I use a plastic scrapper close to the sand and on Coraline algea.
1000009949.jpg

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well made acrylic tank is never going to leak, fail, or need resealing. I would rather have a scratch than a leak.

fltt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A well made acrylic tank is never going to leak, fail, or need resealing. I would rather have a scratch than a leak.
If you get a scratch on an Acrylic tank it can be removed. If you scratch glass it's there forever.
If the glass is low iron then it will scratch easier than regular glass. Acrylic is way clearer and than glass and low iron.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an aqueous scrubber that comes with interchangeable pads. One for glass the other for acrylic. As mentioned with glass you have to use a razor after using the pad. I use utility knife blade. Warning if you have a clown put on a glove as they will attack you. Mine broke the skin. The female lol. I did not even know different tanks existed. Always went on design alone. Really have no preference except be aware a lot of equipment lights in particular are made for rimless tanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back