Help me to decide between glass or acrylic for 110G Cube (36X36X20)

Glass or Acrylic for 110G SPS DT with sand bed

• Total voters

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow Reef2Reefers!

I’ve been planning for my next build which will be a 36X36X20 cube lagoon SPS DT, and I'm torn between glass and acrylic.

Initially, I was all in for low-iron glass, but a youtube video showcasing a stunning ¾ inch acrylic tank - exactly the size I'm looking for - threw me into a whirlwind of research and self-debate. It's been two weeks of poring over every thread and video I could find. I'm tired of doing more research so I’m currently 90% settled on a low iron glass tank, to end my own agony of choice! I'm creating this thread to share my thoughts and add another data point to this age-old topic on R2R.

A little about my experience: I've owned a 50-gallon acrylic freshwater planted tank for the past four years. Initially, I was very cautious about avoiding scratches. Over time, as the tank stabilized, the minor scratches became less noticeable, and there were no significant damages. This tank has endured two house relocations, which I managed by myself, although the back panel has somewhat bowed. Overall, I remain quite satisfied with it as a freshwater setup. In contrast, I've maintained five low-iron glass tanks, ranging from 3 to 30 gallons, with two currently active as reef tanks. Switching to saltwater has highlighted the challenges of algae cleaning, I can't imagine how hard will it be with acrylic tanks.

Here's my internal debate on acrylic vs low-iron glass:

Acrylic is so easy to get scratch:
  • Acrylic side: The fact that acrylic is so easy to get scratched kinda forces me to be super careful on it. This will be my dream tank build and I want to make it a precious piece that I can’t be lazy on. Also Acrylic is repairable, this youtube video convinced me scratches could be fixed from inside without emptying the tank, it does cost some effort but it’s doable without any high technology.
  • Glass side: Being a display tank in the living, I'd rather not have to constantly remind guests and family members to be careful. I want them to be able to enjoy looking at the tank without any worries. Also I won’t trust myself to be consistent on being extremely cautious when cleaning the tank every time, none of my tanks are crystal clean since I'm too lazy.
But Acrylic is bullet proof:
  • Acrylic side: Instead of the scratch issue, I’m actually OCD on the reliabile issue, where I worry about glass tank seam failing or earthquake might happen and bust the tank and destroy the living room. All my existing tanks are nano/small tanks and It's be my biggest tank build. While an acrylic tank is bullet proof which gives me relief.
  • Glass side: 112g is not a big tank and with a 15mm glass panel it should be reliable enough if built by a good builder.
Also Acrylic wins on the weight:
  • Acrylic side:I want to be able to move the tank all by myself, especially during the early tank design stage.
  • Glass side: Weight is a one-time problem. Getting a 250-pound glass tank into my living room will need some friends, or maybe I’ll rent an electric jack. Once it’s on the stand with leveling casters, I should be able to move it around on my own.
Dealing with aesthetic preference
  • Acrylic side: I prefer the Acrylic tanks' smooth and transparent corners instead of the sharp, black edges on glass tanks. Since it's a corner tank, the edge would be very noticable
  • Glass side: 2 years ago I actually prefer the sharp edge so aesthetic preference could change. Afterall they’ll all look the same after being filled with water and lit up with blue light. Acrylic tank just looks better when it’s brand new in the first week.
Others
  • I found some negative reviews about Advanced Acrylics on R2R, I know I could shop around for different builders, but it’s their youtube video drove me into the debate, so it’s definitely push me back to glass a little bit
  • iInnovative marine lagoon 112 is the exact size I want so I don’t need to go custom, it’s even on sale now.

So I'm leaning towards glass, but I’d love to hear your thoughts or anything I might have missed in my thought process before I put the order. Thanks!

PS, is it possible to have a screen protector for the inner side of acrylic panel? like those we use for cell phone.

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also planning a new build and went back and forth on glass vs acrylic. I've decided on acrylic based on size (either 96"x30"20 or 96"x30"x30"). Glass would be way to heavy to move. My wife is a very visual person and can't agree on the spot for it until we have the tank. I don't have enough money or friends to have people move a glass tank the amount of time it would take to have her find the perfect place.

I'm also concerned about the cleaning, but I have read magic erasers work wonders on acrylic tanks for cleaning and minor scratching.

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also planning a new build and went back and forth on glass vs acrylic. I've decided on acrylic based on size (either 96"x30"20 or 96"x30"x30"). Glass would be way to heavy to move. My wife is a very visual person and can't agree on the spot for it until we have the tank. I don't have enough money or friends to have people move a glass tank the amount of time it would take to have her find the perfect place.

I'm also concerned about the cleaning, but I have read magic erasers work wonders on acrylic tanks for cleaning and minor scratching.

For the same visual reason, I'm ordering a bunch of 3/4 inch PVC pipes to build a frame as a placeholder of the tank, just to get the feeling of have a big piece of tank in that area before I commit to the size. The pvc frame will also surve as a cage for aquascape later.

for your size, acrylic would be 200 lbs and won't be easy to move around by yourself either. I've convenienced my self that the weight issue is a one time thing, and putting the caster on the stand might help with the initial setup

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they both have their place. I started with a glass 180 gallon tank and I now have a 300 gallon acrylic. My 180 gallon glass tank started leaking at a seam, luckily caught it early before and damage was done. I tend to keep my aquariums in finished spaces where a leak could cause a lot of damage. For this reason I will only go acrylic on anything over 100 gallons since this is a lot of water.

As you know, it does scratch but I've found it hasn't been that bad. The fact they are pretty much leak proof, if build correctly, is why I will use acrylic.

That being said, for a 36x36x20 I would actually consider a glass tank by a reputable manufacturer. Its small enough where I personally wouldn't worry about a leak. You also don't have to worry about scratches.

I've read a lot about urchins and acrylic tanks. I'm not saying other people are wrong, but I haven't had an issue with mine. I have a pincushion, pencil and long spine urchin in my acrylic tank with no issue. I've seen them on the front panel plenty of times and never a single scratch from them.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Acrylic is a wise choice at a tank that size. Just take your time cleaning and you will be fine. Just go into knowing you will scratch the tank and you will feel better about it lol. I have a bunch of scratches from sand getting caught in my mag scraper, but you can only see them if you are standing within a foot of the tank.

Just for reference - My 10'x2'x2', 3/4" thick acrylic tank weighed about 350 pounds and took my brother and wife to help me move. It was not light at all. Still a lot lighter than a glass tank though....

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they both have their place. I started with a glass 180 gallon tank and I now have a 300 gallon acrylic. My 180 gallon glass tank started leaking at a seam, luckily caught it early before and damage was done. I tend to keep my aquariums in finished spaces where a leak could cause a lot of damage. For this reason I will only go acrylic on anything over 100 gallons since this is a lot of water.

As you know, it does scratch but I've found it hasn't been that bad. The fact they are pretty much leak proof, if build correctly, is why I will use acrylic.

That being said, for a 36x36x20 I would actually consider a glass tank by a reputable manufacturer. Its small enough where I personally wouldn't worry about a leak. You also don't have to worry about scratches.

I've read a lot about urchins and acrylic tanks. I'm not saying other people are wrong, but I haven't had an issue with mine. I have a pincushion, pencil and long spine urchin in my acrylic tank with no issue. I've seen them on the front panel plenty of times and never a single scratch from them.
Thanks for sharing. Do you know what's the culprit of the seam failing of your 180 gallon?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Do you know what's the culprit of the seam failing of your 180 gallon?
It was an aqueon tank with the black plastic frame on the top and bottom. It was 4 years old and never moved from its original spot. I noticed water pooling in the corner of the bottom frame one day and realized I had a small leak somewhere in the bottom corner of the tank. Not sure what caused the leak, it looked fine from the inside. Ended up giving it to someone who used it as a reptile enclosure.

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was an aqueon tank with the black plastic frame on the top and bottom. It was 4 years old and never moved from its original spot. I noticed water pooling in the corner of the bottom frame one day and realized I had a small leak somewhere in the bottom corner of the tank. Not sure what caused the leak, it looked fine from the inside. Ended up giving it to someone who used it as a reptile enclosure.
Glad that tank has a 2nd life. My first tank was also a 5 gallon aqueon with plastic frame, the glass cracked when I was doing some cleaning.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that tank has a 2nd life. My first tank was also a 5 gallon aqueon with plastic frame, the glass cracked when I was doing some cleaning.
Yea those tanks are very thin. I had a 40 breeder glass tank from marineland that bowed about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch when filled. I did not trust that tank at all lol

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after watching some youtube videos I'm leaning towards acrylics again... since the tank is on the corner of the house, the natural focal point will be the edge and I really can't bear the black edge of glass tank

Screenshot 2023-12-20 152450.png
Screenshot 2023-12-20 152515.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly forget where I heard it, but one of the "professional" youtube channels I watch mentioned their glass tanks never had an issue with earthquakes, so I don't see that as a particular downside. If the corner visibility is a big concern, I think you have your answer! As we all know just be careful not too look at the acrylic too hard for risk of scratching it :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this window sheet on all my reef glasses to offset the blue light so it might serve as an anti-scratch from the outside, for the inside I'll just need to be very carefull and take out the magnet scraper everytime.
51gL4KmPw2L._AC_SX679_.jpg

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is a wise choice at a tank that size. Just take your time cleaning and you will be fine. Just go into knowing you will scratch the tank and you will feel better about it lol. I have a bunch of scratches from sand getting caught in my mag scraper, but you can only see them if you are standing within a foot of the tank.

Just for reference - My 10'x2'x2', 3/4" thick acrylic tank weighed about 350 pounds and took my brother and wife to help me move. It was not light at all. Still a lot lighter than a glass tank though....
Yeah I was going to get some help moving it, but at least it would be lighter than a glass tank. My friends and I are getting to the age that throwing our backs out isnt worth some pizza and beer :face-with-head-bandage:

SkinnyMcGinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go acrylic, you will scratch it scraping algae, and it will suck. If that really worries you, consider bare bottom, or, consider sand grain size relative to your mag scraper choice. my scratches like to grow algae. I wish i had glass.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go acrylic, you will scratch it scraping algae, and it will suck. If that really worries you, consider bare bottom, or, consider sand grain size relative to your mag scraper choice. my scratches like to grow algae. I wish i had glass.
You know those scratches can be refinished. I live near a company that offers that service, wet, but you can do it yourself as well.

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from acrylic to glass for my most recent tank. I found that cleaning with the magnetic cleaner for acrylic I still would get scratches. I think pieces of sand or other debris got stuck on the pad and left a big scratch. With the glass tank I have now, my 4 year old was "helping" me clean with the mag cleaner. Something got stuck on it again and there is a small scratch on the glass now. I did find what seemed to be little pieces of rust stuck to the magnet. In retrospect, I should run a good magnet through any san I use in the future.
If there are internal scratches, they are tough to get out since you would need to drain the tank to buff out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back