revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finding-Dory-Disney-pixar-2016.jpg

Finding Dory: The Movie Discussion Thread

Well today was/is the day for the opening of the movie Finding Dory!

I just read this:
We’re hearing that Disney-Pixar’s Finding Dory is swimming upstream to a record opening of $130M+ for the weekend and today alone will clear $50M-$52M. That’s also an opening day record for an animated movie, outstripping Minions’ previous first day high of $46M on July 10 last year.

Let's use this thread to talk about what we thought about the movie, the pros and cons, etc.

So who saw it first?
What did you think?

unnamed.gif

3075834-5541699575-findi.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my 8 year old daughter to see the movie today. My opinion on the movie and not letting the hobby effect it, the first one was Wwaaayyyy better. It was ok but follow up movies are usually never as good as the first.

With that said there were some things i did and didnt like such as there were a bunch of clips where some how dory ways always kept In a container less than a gallon of water. The only reason i dont like it is because it can give the wrong impression for uneducated people wanting to get into the hobby. The other thing i didnt like was that there was no "note" educating the audience about how to care for these fish if you go to by one after seeing the movie. Oh well.

What i thought was really cool is the movie mostly takes place at a marine wildlife "hospital" where this company collects sick and damaged fish, heals them up, and releases them back into the wild. So there is something to be said for that about what kids can take home with them from the movie.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my little kids to go see it yesterday. I would say Hank steals the show and was a delight to watch. The concept of quarantine is introduced to the audience. They did a nice job tying this movie back to the original without relying on it too extensively. I'd say those were the high points for me.

The things I didn't like is the blatant disregard for acclimation procedures or even giving thought to whether a tropical fish could even live in the conditions depicted. I realize this is a children's movie, but it gives an uneducated audience the impression that tangs and clownfish could live in colder waters or even fresh water....the movie essentially treats all water as being equal, even water that was most likely drinking water. As mentioned above, no note from the filmmakers about responsible aquatic husbandry, which was disappointing.

Those are just my opinions.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refuse to see the movies like this. My fish never smile like that...

I do find it funny how conservationists will say one side of the argument, and then all these LFS's pop up saying "yes please be cautious! but we have a sale on these/those fish today!"

Heh..

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lady and I saw it last night. It was very funny and worth seeing in 3D. I learned a hippo tang can temporarily live in a sippy cup, coffee pot, and a mop bucket. I also learned an octopus can live out of water for about an hour +. I liked the fact when I saw a coral I had, I yelled "I got frags of that coral for sale. WYSIWYG " So, I sold quite a few frags and nems.

Jmbmmb27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its funny how there is this much contriversary to this film. Its a kids film! I wonder what people have to say about finding nemo! Its a movie and I understand the fact of people watching it and possibly wanting to go buy one. That's where the education link comes into play. No need to down a movie just because it wasn't a documentary on how to keep hippo tangs! Like I said before, these are kids films and are meant to be funny and entertaining. Whats you thoughts on them keeping a Moorish idol on finding nemo in a 10 gallon tank with a hob and 6 other fish. Rant over!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the movie and I thought it was fantastic. It was one of the funnier movies I've seen in a while. The touch pool scene had me rollin lol.

There is a scene after the credits worth watching, in case you didn't know or missed it.

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its funny how there is this much contriversary to this film. Its a kids film! I wonder what people have to say about finding nemo! Its a movie and I understand the fact of people watching it and possibly wanting to go buy one. That's where the education link comes into play. No need to down a movie just because it wasn't a documentary on how to keep hippo tangs! Like I said before, these are kids films and are meant to be funny and entertaining. Whats you thoughts on them keeping a Moorish idol on finding nemo in a 10 gallon tank with a hob and 6 other fish. Rant over!

Just going to point out that these discussions all came up over Finding Nemo as well. Not as much, granted, I would say the big difference is the main character in Nemo was a fish that can realistically live in a 10g and Dory cannot. Also when the first one came out no one really knew how much of an affect it'd have on people jumping into the hobby, people are more educated as to what to expect this time.

People who aren't in the hobby really don't see fish as pets, they see them more as a commodity. I have a feeling most of the people who blindly go and purchase Dory after this film would do so no matter what. Granted it may dissuade a few who actually see fish as living beings that deserve our respect, but just look at the animal shelters out there... It's up to the fish stores to properly educate their customers, there's only so much we can do.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You like being able to buy fish and coral? This hobby is under the microscope more than any. I think the only reason why this topic comes up is because something like this movie will draw tons of uneducated people to a LFS to buy these fish only to have them killed which means more fish pulled from the ocean which means more off people such as the ones who dont want this to be a hobby for us. I think everyone who has a issue has it with good intent. We love our hobby and dont want restrictions upon us in the future.

And trust me, i get what you are saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoyed it, went with friend. It would not have been a movie I would have picked for myself, I like a much different type of genre.

My advice, go see it and enjoy it, do not over think it.

It's entertainment with corny humor for the adult audience, and the animation is impressive.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed it. The fish and reef nerd in me found myself correcting anatomically incorrect fish (like the baby regal angel that was in both movies on nemo's home reef), fish not native to Australian waters, and the random colors and patterns that do not exist and others that did.

I of course laughed at an octopus that could somehow breathe and survive outside of the water, a whale shark that forgot it was a fish not a whale, fish living in all sorts of water and low 02 conditions, loons that live in saltwater (later found out that this is a real thing but I thought it wrong initially), misshapen hippo tangs, and many many others.

I agree though you have to enjoy it for what it is - a kids movie. So many things on it were so unrealistic but it was good.

For me, I think because I loved the first so much that I put this one on some sort of pedastol with expectations that could never be met. So with that said I think it was almost as good as the first one.

I took my 2.25 year old daughter and that was an absolute mistake. It took a box of m&ms, gummi bears, and popcorn to shut her up for 1/4 the movie. She threw a fit in the opening scene after what seemed like 45 minutes of previews.

I kept seeing and hearing of people bringing their kids this young to the movies. No. Never again. That was awful. Maybe I would've enjoyed it more if i could have done something other than attempt to reason with an unruly toddler who was pouring water all over me and squirming around like a 30lb wrasse on the carpet :D

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back