Firefish goby is underrated ( Nemateleotris magnifica )

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a hurry and meant to buy a Decorated Firefish, also did not have my glasses. When I got home I realised I had a magnifica not a decora I was dissapointed and planned on swapping it for the Decora. But honestly I looked at in in my tank and WOW! I fell in love;) It is the most stunning fish with no bad habbits at all. I know it is not expensive or rare but I am so glad of the fortunate mistake. I think it has to be the most underrated fish out there...it delights me. Anybody out there in agtreement. or otherwise? Any other suggestions of other underated fish with good manners? Have a really bad photo of an interaction in my nano reef. The same however cannot be said about my lemon Goby it is a pest that I regret buying!

My goby.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple firefish that I got 2 months ago, and only now he is finally comfortable to be out all day long. You are right, I dont hear much about firefish, but its so peacefull and beautiful and has a unique way of swimming.

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so happy with other fish. Also when it is scared which is not often, it is like the starship Enterprise going into warp drive. It dissapears at the speed of light.................just there...........then.........gone

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful fish, I had a purple and and a red together for almost a year. Unfortunatly the purple one got sick and passed, but the red one is still with me!
It is super shy and like to stay in its cave in the rockwork, but I see him once he is hungry.
It is a good reminder, when the red firefish is out, its time to feed the tank! :D

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted about my admiration of my firefish goby that I have had for months. The one bad habit it has caused its dimise. After my water change I neglected to put my tank lid on and found it desicated on the floor this morning. I am angry with myself

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are adorable fish, but notorious jumpers. A complete tank cover or screen is mandatory if you have any dartfish.

On how to sex and pair them, see my thread here:

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you read my thread, but I went to buy a Purple fire fish ( decora) but got a magnifica instead. Best mistake ever, I Think they are so beutiful, and the only fish in my tank not intimidated by my bully female clown;)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back