FIREFISH SUCKED INTO POWERHEAD NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Larry isaak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a small isolation box that you can clip in the tank I would put it in there to get it out of the current.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My firefish was just sucked into my powerhead, is still breathing but can't swim!! What should I do?????/
Unfortunately a fish this small and fragile will not recover. If you have a quarantine tank, increased oxygen and fresh seawater but likely not a positive outcome

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a small isolation box that you can clip in the tank I would put it in there to get it out of the current.
Already did that. He's almost stuck in the shape of the powerhead. Still won't move but is breathing, just very rapidly
IMG_0030.jpeg

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove oil is your best bet, while it's in that container you can use it. Otherwise, a VERY fast and COMMITTED blow to the head will put it out quickly and humanely. It has to be quick though mate, don't hesitate and half-kill it. Just know you're doing the right thing.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately a fish this small and fragile will not recover. If you have a quarantine tank, increased oxygen and fresh seawater but likely not a positive outcome
Its really trying to survive. It keeps trying to swim in a circle, sort of doing it, then going limp again. Do you think it'll make it, or should I just go ahead and put it out of its misery

Larry isaak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really trying to survive. It keeps trying to swim in a circle, then going limp again. Do you think it'll make it, or should I just go ahead and put it out of its misery
Maybe give it 1/2 an hour if you don’t see a vast improvement it’s probably not gonna make it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its really trying to survive. It keeps trying to swim in a circle, sort of doing it, then going limp again. Do you think it'll make it, or should I just go ahead and put it out of its misery
Honestly- I’ve seen this too often- recovery is very slim- there is no half hour

keizo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about what happened to your firefish @Bear Claw. Not sure what type of powerhead you're using, but I always pick up those wavemaker guards that some online stores sell to prevent fish and anemones from damaging themselves against the powerhead -- perhaps something worth your interest to prevent this from happening to another fish

Back