First coral finally..

Fish.are.friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m finally going to add some corals to my tank after years of fowlr tank. Just wanted to be prepared. So getting your guys opinions. Looking to add a couple zoas and Xenia on an island ( hopping my clowns might enjoy it) and gsp on the back glass.
1. What coral dips do you prefer and how long you let it sit?
2. Types of coral food you like? Was looking at using reef roids.
3. Water parameters.
4. Methods of attaching.
And anything else I might need to be ready for. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Fish.are.friends

Fish.are.friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer for bugs
Coral Rx for an antiseptic
Lugol's for injuries

Reef Roids and Reef Chili

I avoid "fast growing" corals as you usually get what you ask for. LOL :eek:
Yeah I’ve heard about Xenia and gsp. And I’m sure eventually I’ll kick myself but I really like the way they look. And I think the clowns will enjoy it. After these first few I wanna go to some hammers.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a bad play. I have Xenia and GSP on 2 isolated rocks and most of the non-hobbyist who see my tank are instantly drawn to them and a giant leather. (Never minding the challenging acros or the giant montis.) They thing they're cool of course but the zenia are so "Active" and the GSP "looks like grass"! The key is to not let them get out of hand and make tending them a regular part or maintenance. Kenya Tree is another one folks regret. Kenya Tree is a nice enough coral to have but if you don't pay attention and regularly remove the branches that pop up everywhere, you'll be in for trouble. Plus, they're all great starters to build confidence.

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you have a starting plan - know it will be a back and forth experience! Congrats...

1. What coral dips do you prefer and how long you let it sit? Bayer / Iodine
2. Types of coral food you like? Was looking at using reef roids. Reef roids
3. Water parameters. Targets- 1.026 salinity; Alk 8-9, Ca 450, Mg 1400, N03 <10; Po4<.05 (stability is big difference - I know from experience! It takes active monitoring and routine W/Cs)
4. Methods of attaching. superglue

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 additional items and then I'll shut up. 1) Test the salt mixes you're doing water changes with. I had some small alk swings because the salt I was using for water changes had an alk of 4.3. It was the same salt I'd used for years but something happened to it that was way outside the norm. 2) Dipping and QT are combined to be the single most important part of corals. It's a lesson that almost always gets learned the hard way.

OP
OP
Fish.are.friends

Fish.are.friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 additional items and then I'll shut up. 1) Test the salt mixes you're doing water changes with. I had some small alk swings because the salt I was using for water changes had an alk of 4.3. It was the same salt I'd used for years but something happened to it that was way outside the norm. 2) Dipping and QT are combined to be the single most important part of corals. It's a lesson that almost always gets learned the hard way.
Yeah I’m fixing to switch to red sea salt to try it. I’ve been using IO. But mixing the alk is around 10.5 to 11. So my tank is usually around 10.4 to 10.8.

OP
OP
Fish.are.friends

Fish.are.friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everybody’s advice. I think I’ll go with the Bayer for dipping. And use reef roids. Still going to do a little bit more reading. I try to be as prepared as possible.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Bayer because it's effective. I don't really care about the expense since I don't bring in lots and lots of frags. You're doing it right. Just don't get hung up on parameters. Of course you need to keep them in the acceptable range but once you get the hang of it, it's not nearly as hard as it might seem. Keep in mind that this forum is an aggregator for folks having issues with their tanks. Left out are the thousands of people like myself who don't really feel like posting "Hey, my tanks doing alright. I skipped a water change and got a little algae. No big deal."

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m finally going to add some corals to my tank after years of fowlr tank. Just wanted to be prepared. So getting your guys opinions. Looking to add a couple zoas and Xenia on an island ( hopping my clowns might enjoy it) and gsp on the back glass.
1. What coral dips do you prefer and how long you let it sit?
2. Types of coral food you like? Was looking at using reef roids.
3. Water parameters.
4. Methods of attaching.
And anything else I might need to be ready for. Thanks in advance.

1. Depends on the dip, but I use coral revive for some and lugols iodine for others depending on the sensitivity of the coral. Iodine is much less harsh than the coral revive. Made a mistake one time of dipping a torch in it. Had many that lasted through it until it didn’t. Come to find out, they are sensitive to that type of dip. So just a cautionary tale. I have no experience with bayer; but seems like most agree it’s a good way to go.

2. I use reef roids, but only started after all the nutrients in the tank were under control (or else expect an algae bloom)

3. I’m being honest here. I’m not saying neglect parameters, but it seems that reef tanks tend to settle into the parameters that are stable for that system. I have 5 tanks and they all vary vastly in parameters. Obviously keep your ammonia etc in check. When I stopped chasing parameters with my reef tanks was when things became easier and started having a healthy stable system.

4. I use the loctite gel glue from the dollar store. I will put dab of glue on the base and dip it in the water a couple of times to help speed up the cure, then place it in a location you would like it and hold for 15 seconds and it should stick. Don’t twist or turn it. I’d pick up some extra frag plugs. Make sure when handling polyps to use gloves and eye protection. Especially upon Fragging. Most importantly try to have fun and be patient. A reef is a long term goal unless you have exuberant amounts of money to purchase large colonies. Enjoy the progression of the corals and the expect a few losses. Even in mature reef tanks, they will unexpectedly die (although rare). Finally pm me for any more info. Not saying I know everything, just what I’ve experienced. Goodluck... you will need it... the reef bug is addicting!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 176 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back