First Large Build - Looking for Suggestions

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 10+ years of mostly nano-sized tanks (the largest tank being 90 gallons) we have finally decided to get a large tank.

The tank will be a FOWLR and will be in the 180-210 gallon range.

Is there anything significantly different about life with a tank in that range? IE will humidity be an issue? The basement is relatively small (400sq feet) with 2 small windows. Should I look at an exhaust fan or similar, or will a normal dehumidifier work?
Equipment wise, are the reliable brands for smaller tanks still worth considering for larger tanks? I have powerheads covered already (Tunze 6105s and 2x 6095s so I’m comfortable there) but what about return pumps? I’ve never run external pumps before, so I’m not sure about what to get. I’ve used mostly Eheim, Sicce, and Laguna return pumps previously and have been happy with them.

I currently have an ATB 840, which will be sufficient in the beginning but I realize I’ll need to upgrade in the future once the fish load increases.

Overall I’m looking for a reliable, quiet, best bang for the buck, but not cheap-out list of suggestions, and any tips you have.

Thanks I’m advance for following along!

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a ton of research before my build. I dont believe you will have a humidity issue but dehumidifiers or window fans are cheap.

As far as sound, bean animal is the way to go in my opinion. You are looking at a 6ft tank. 30in high and 24 in deep. Make sure you can reach the back of the tank with no problem.

Return pumps as a Fowler you really dont need a ton of turnover. So a y return will really work. DC pumps are nicer on the electricity. But a little more pricey in the front. Canister filters would work for FOWLER. BUT I prefer sumps. Dont over think it.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a ton of research before my build. I dont believe you will have a humidity issue but dehumidifiers or window fans are cheap.

As far as sound, bean animal is the way to go in my opinion. You are looking at a 6ft tank. 30in high and 24 in deep. Make sure you can reach the back of the tank with no problem.

Return pumps as a Fowler you really dont need a ton of turnover. So a y return will really work. DC pumps are nicer on the electricity. But a little more pricey in the front. Canister filters would work for FOWLER. BUT I prefer sumps. Dont over think it.
+1 you’re already over thinking it lol. You don’t need crazy turnover like a reef tank. If you’re trying to keep cost down I would go with a jebao return. Sumps are easier to maintain than canisters imo. As far as the glass itself, I like water box, reef savvy, and synergy reef. I love Jbj but they don’t make tanks that big. You might want a fan just to be safe :)

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far, and lol yes I’m overthinking it. I always tend to do that. Would rather plan it out properly but I do make things more difficult than they need to be.

Speaking of, we are finishing the basement and I plan on including the tank in the overall plans. Hopefully I can make a small fish room work.

I’m considering the Varios and Vectra return pumps. I like the noise level and long term energy use of DC pumps, but I’m slightly concerned about reliability.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far, and lol yes I’m overthinking it. I always tend to do that. Would rather plan it out properly but I do make things more difficult than they need to be.

Speaking of, we are finishing the basement and I plan on including the tank in the overall plans. Hopefully I can make a small fish room work.

I’m considering the Varios and Vectra return pumps. I like the noise level and long term energy use of DC pumps, but I’m slightly concerned about reliability.
I haven’t heard of any reliability issues from my buddies or lfs. The Neptune cor is a good pump if you have an apex system

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love the vectra and the octo returns. I'm a big fan of echotec so I went with 4 vectra L1 pumps. Also dont be scared to use second hand equiptment from people. Especially the higher end equiptment. I think an vectra M1 would be more then enough for what you need. Also check out glass cages for a tank. Ask for Donna and tell her Rich Conolly told you to call.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the vectra and the octo returns. I'm a big fan of echotec so I went with 4 vectra L1 pumps. Also dont be scared to use second hand equiptment from people. Especially the higher end equiptment. I think an vectra M1 would be more then enough for what you need. Also check out glass cages for a tank. Ask for Donna and tell her Rich Conolly told you to call.
+1

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of these:

DC3200

I’ve had zero problems and it’s absolutely quiet.
I also plumbed a regular ol’ Durso and it’s very quiet and works perfectly.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Right now I’m leaning toward a Vectra M1 but I’m still open to others.

How about skimmers? I have been happy with the ATB and would consider another. If I could get a used Bubble King that would be great. I’m also considering Aquamaxx and Deltec (or anything else, provided it comes with a Sicce or better pump).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Octo over the less than reliable Ecotech unit
Bigger is better as more livestock capability, more forgiving, easier to maintain water quality and aquascaping capabilities.
BUY THE BEST EQUIPMENT YOU CANNOT AFFORD, hence buying it once.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Right now I’m leaning toward a Vectra M1 but I’m still open to others.

How about skimmers? I have been happy with the ATB and would consider another. If I could get a used Bubble King that would be great. I’m also considering Aquamaxx and Deltec (or anything else, provided it comes with a Sicce or better pump).
Reef octo regal

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at a 75 gallon sump as well. I like the idea of a refugium section in the middle. Ideally it will help compete with the intense feeding schedule and will allow pods to grow and in turn help feed the fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 134 76.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back