First pipes

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing I would say to look for is any redness or other discoloration.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of them nibbled some frozen bb today! Still a ways to go but it is a step in the right direction.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they both are not very interested in food this evening. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just lazily foraging and not too interested in the food I offered. I think they are finally full lol. They did seem more interested in their before bed feeding so I may cut out the evening feeding. They have been getting small meals 4x a day.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a question, anyone know a good source of small frozen mysis. The stuff I have now is too large and I want to get them eating more prepared foods than brine.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a question, anyone know a good source of small frozen mysis. The stuff I have now is too large and I want to get them eating more prepared foods than brine.
I would try Hikari mysis. They are definitely smaller than other brands and we're the first mysis my juvenile seahorses would eat. You might be able to shave or chop mysis also but then occasionally pipes will turn their noses up at it because the eye stocks are not intact.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try Hikari mysis. They are definitely smaller than other brands and we're the first mysis my juvenile seahorses would eat. You might be able to shave or chop mysis also but then occasionally pipes will turn their noses up at it because the eye stocks are not intact.
Yea they are very picky that is for sure. They stare at the food and if it isn't up to quality they let it go by. It will be trial and error to figure which frozen foods are most "life-like" I think.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the little guy appears to have died peacefully in his sleep last night [emoji22]. He seemed fine to me, even ate before bed. My only guess would be an internal infection. He was just laying there this morning. All other inhabitants are fine. Should I treat the other pipe?

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the little guy appears to have died peacefully in his sleep last night [emoji22]. He seemed fine to me, even ate before bed. My only guess would be an internal infection. He was just laying there this morning. All other inhabitants are fine. Should I treat the other pipe?
Oh gosh, I am so sorry. I hope he did not suffer. Was he the one hit by the rock?

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh, I am so sorry. I hope he did not suffer. Was he the one hit by the rock?
Yes. He seemed to be recovering but there must have been something internal going on. He showed no outward signs of redness or obvious behavior changes. He was swimming and foraging up till the end. I will monitor the other guy closely just in case it wasn't related to injury. Water tests came back fine as well. I would definitely like to get the surviving one another companion if I rule out illness. Would two weeks be a good observation period before looking for a replacement? Obviously qt can be an issue for pod eating fish so what is recommended with these guys?

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. He seemed to be recovering but there must have been something internal going on. He showed no outward signs of redness or obvious behavior changes. He was swimming and foraging up till the end. I will monitor the other guy closely just in case it wasn't related to injury. Water tests came back fine as well. I would definitely like to get the surviving one another companion if I rule out illness. Would two weeks be a good observation period before looking for a replacement? Obviously qt can be an issue for pod eating fish so what is recommended with these guys?
I know exoticreefcreations.com will QT pod eaters so that is a route to go, I will be getting my new pipes from him when I am ready. I do think it was the rock that killed it and not a disease, but I can't say 100% obviously.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea everyone else seems fine today. Getting ready for my wc. I will give it a bit more time to be safe. I will have to look into qt options. My current tank is occupied. I really want the pipes in before any of the other more boisterous fish. They won't hurt the pipes but I want the pipes to feel safe when out foraging.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea everyone else seems fine today. Getting ready for my wc. I will give it a bit more time to be safe. I will have to look into qt options. My current tank is occupied. I really want the pipes in before any of the other more boisterous fish. They won't hurt the pipes but I want the pipes to feel safe when out foraging.
I understand. Good luck!!

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been a week since I lost the little pipe. There has been no sign of Illness in any of the other fish so I am going to go out and look for a new friend for my guy. He seems ok being on his own but from what I have read they are social in the wild so I want to make sure he isn't missing out on anything.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the different species of dragonface pipes get along? I saw an adorable little guy but he was not the same as the one I have now.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Squishie89 I think the large pipe may be showing signs of illness. He is breathing very hard and not feeding today.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he just died. Started jerking erratically and then rolled onto his back. No other external signs other than his colors got very bright like he was in a lot of distress. He also just stopped looking at things and stared into the distance. Water parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate between 10 and 20. Temp 78.3. Sg 1.025. No real changes all other livestock fine. Plenty of pods. They are visible on glass and he was taking frozen before he stopped eating 2 days ago. Will be forgoing more pipes until I can figure out what happened. The next ones will be put in qt now that I know I can harvest pods from the refugium in a tight spot.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 129 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back