First tank

DevonMeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I hope all is well in the reefing world and would ask your expert advice on a few matters. I plan on starting a 20 gallon fowlr tank in the near future. I've ordered a Marineland emperor biowheel 400 as my main filtration as well as a heater with a digital readout. The thing I'm most worried about is mixing saltwater. I don't have access to an RO unit, is it safe to make saltwater out of distilled water or spring water from a store? Also my filter comes with filter pads but what else would be good to include inside it? Also any tips of any kind about anything would be greatly appreciated.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome2.jpg

Good start my friend, you did some homework on this amazing hobby.
Saltwater for a FOWLER you can mix with distilled water but I don't recommend it.
If you have a local fish store (LFS) close by most likely they will sell either RODI water or Mixed saltwater or of course both.
I recommend to buy the mix saltwater to take out all the guess work. cost average is $1 per gallon.

The filterpads that comes with the bio-wheel are in general ok, don't rely on that 100% filtration.
Water changes are you best friend if No4 gets to high.
On a 2o gallon fish only I would recommend 1 or two gallons water change per week, that all depends on your bio load of course.
Good luck my friend and don't hesitate to ask a lot and post pics up from your tank or even better make a build thread.

[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Agree with diesel, it's possible to use distilled water but I would try to find rodi water first and only use the distilled as a last resort. Also take a look around for people selling an RO unit. You can get them used fairly cheap. There are some deals to be found with new units as well. Spectrapure sell refurb 90gpd units for around $130.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly of all the things I have bought for my tank the single item I am the happiest about is the RODI unit. For a 20g tank you could make due with a smaller one but you should get one,it will make your life so much easier. Trust me, U tried the distilled water route and it gets to be a pain, especially if an emergency arises.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I hope all is well in the reefing world and would ask your expert advice on a few matters. I plan on starting a 20 gallon fowlr tank in the near future. I've ordered a Marineland emperor biowheel 400 as my main filtration as well as a heater with a digital readout. The thing I'm most worried about is mixing saltwater. I don't have access to an RO unit, is it safe to make saltwater out of distilled water or spring water from a store? Also my filter comes with filter pads but what else would be good to include inside it? Also any tips of any kind about anything would be greatly appreciated.
I used distilled for yrs be fine 0 tds why it's distilled lol

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Distilled water since day one and no issues- 0 reading on tds.
If you are going to use Distilled, I'd suggest to buy a portable tds meter.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said distilled water isn't bad to use but more in a expensive form for more use.
Don't know what a a gallon of distilled water runs but my Smart RODI filter makes 1 gallon for less than 7 cents.
Besides if distilled water is 0 TDS why do you need to test it with a TDS??
Distilled water isn't always 0 TDS as it is made due to a total different process and qualify itself as pure clean water that can or may have a reading from 1ppm TDS or less, which is considered reef save if you use it.
Again it's more like a cost vs it ain't good for reefs.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on the size tank. Those filter/cartridge needs to be change and not to mention the waste water. Although you may purchase a ro/di with less waste water but prepare to pay $$.
Just a suggestion on the tds meter.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the means and the space here is a suggestion for you. It's a great unit and this package comes with a TDS meter and a set of replacement cartridges.

http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI...ement-Filter Kit-TDS Meters-Chlorine-Test-Kit

Now, I'm not saying the distilled water won't work...others have made that clear above. But you may end up wanting to put some corals in the 20g FOWLR at some point. Then that 20g turns in to a 60g. The point is this is an investment in the hobby that you will benefit from for a long time. This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get in touch with The Filter Guys on of our vendors, they respond quickly even on weekends IME and seems like prices are fair ( cheaper than Bulk Reef Supply) for the same filter setup.

OP
OP
DevonMeep

DevonMeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may seem like a silly question but how hard is it to mix saltwater. I'm worried I'm just not going to get the specific gravity right while mixing it. Also would a decloranator need to be saltwater specific or would one made for freshwater work to?

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water works fine. I used it when I first started but later bought a rodi unit. It got old buying all that water but it works.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may seem like a silly question but how hard is it to mix saltwater. I'm worried I'm just not going to get the specific gravity right while mixing it. Also would a decloranator need to be saltwater specific or would one made for freshwater work to?
Yes

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it. Mixing saltwater is simple. I use reef crystals and it 1 half cup per gallon and then use your hydrometer to check the sg. If sg is to high add freshwater to low add more salt.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back