First tank

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2323.JPG IMG_2322.JPG IMG_2321.JPG First tank build almost ready to start, 65 gallon display and 20 gallon sump, thanks in advance for all the questions I'm gonna be asking...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice, Tidefanjam!

I have the very same tank, stand and (possibly) sump. (If you're using a 20-long, you'll have to take the doors off the cabinet ... but you _can_ get it in there!) Mine's been running about a year.

Best of luck with yours, may it bring you joy, seasoned with _just_ enough frustration to keep it from getting dull!

~Bruce

OP
OP
tidefanjam

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I was able to get it in taking one door off, were u able to get a skimmer in the sump?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - not enough headroom in that cabinet. I've been using a Reef Octopus Classic 2000 HOB skimmer, which works well enough, but there are a few things to note: when I feed, the skimmer throws a metric tonne of bubbles into the tank (Okay, so I guess I'm micro-bubbling my corals, just not at night...) After a water change, as the level comes back up and the skimmer re-starts, it's safer to take the return cage _off_. Failure to do so may cause the skimmer to overflow, possibly into the electrical outlet below . . . (6_6)

~Bruce

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd throw those glass covers. And just leave the top open. Lights can't penetrate the glass as well as no glass so that's less light for your new addiction that is coral

OP
OP
tidefanjam

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd throw those glass covers. And just leave the top open. Lights can't penetrate the glass as well as no glass so that's less light for your new addiction that is coral
Yea I've been back and forth on the covers, I know they reduce evaporation and keep the jumpers in the tank, but I do want the light at full strength.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, nice looking set up.:)

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I just drilled a 65g for the same overflow. Make sure you put the internal box up as high as you can get it. You might have to shim under the template to get it up off the glass the same height as black trim.

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've been back and forth on the covers, I know they reduce evaporation and keep the jumpers in the tank, but I do want the light at full strength.
Most LFS will sell a plastic mesh that you cut to size for the top of your tank. It's 100 percent your choice though. The glass tops will prevent evaporation but theyll also trap heat inside the tank and if you live in a warmer climate that can be a real battle

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always found glass tops a real annoyance to keep clean ... since so much light hits them, and herbivores can't reach . . . it's algae's favorite place!

~B.

OP
OP
tidefanjam

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I just drilled a 65g for the same overflow. Make sure you put the internal box up as high as you can get it. You might have to shim under the template to get it up off the glass the same height as black trim.
yea, too late on that, i may have to block off the bottom of the slots to get the water level up some, i didn't think about shimming it last night when i drilled it, and was a bit nervous about getting to close to the edge..

OP
OP
tidefanjam

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS will sell a plastic mesh that you cut to size for the top of your tank. It's 100 percent your choice though. The glass tops will prevent evaporation but theyll also trap heat inside the tank and if you live in a warmer climate that can be a real battle
i do think ill go with the mesh, I'm in gulf shores al., we def have a warm climate..

OP
OP
tidefanjam

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making progress, holes drilled, now to install the baffles in my sump, paint the back,then fill up with water for a test run

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back